What will the death of print media mean for the publications that constantly attack us?

As we all know Rangers is the only show in town. Any negative story about us sells. 2012 proved that. The haters buy it to revel in it and unfortunately some of us buy it out of concern. It’s the only marketing ploy they’ve got these days. A negative on the biggest club in the country sells so we either stop buying them or stop moaning about it.

Or we go after them.

The other 2 options are just dignified silence worded differently.

Until the lockdown I bought an Express every day used to read it on the bus home from the gym and when I worked read it a lunchtime. We had various business papers delivered to the office.
Since lockdown I’ve stopped buying a paper might have done so twice at most. They’re not relevant now and in Scotland they ignore the real story (paedophile ring at septic) and politically they ignore the numerous cover ups by the nationalists. So what purpose do they serve? None in my view.

So, in effect, you are pushing for what I have been saying since the start of the fanzine.

The club has to set the narrative.

Every lie has to be countered. Every time. Every lie, and the hack in question and the rhag prepared to print it highlighted. If the people running our club came out with a missive; 'Do not buy the Daily Rebel', we are putting these vermin in its death knell. And spare me the p1sh about good Rangers fans working for them.

Every incident of cheating by a referee has to be registered and highlighted at the time.

I respect the people running our club, they rescued us from scum.

But they still have a lot to do in so many aspects of the day to day running of this club.

This has to be our strategy. Who cares if they hate us, we will never change their minds. But we can make them fear us. But that lies 100% with the club to make it happen, they have to lead the fight.

I've been reading that in here for over a decade.

So forgive the cynicism when I say it's not working.
I don’t know anyone that still buys a paper so it’s definitely coming. I understand what you’re saying but people get their news differently now and it’s never going back to the papers. My point was sensational negative stories about Rangers is all they got.

They'll all migrate online but it's far more cut throat online than it is in traditional print media. It'll be more focused on click and rage bait articles. Standards will slip even further and many of their Journalists will fall by the wayside. Plus with an ad-blocker you can hurt them financially :))

Mostly older folks by papers. I don't. The Record was a decent paper 20 years ago. Now it's laughable.
Print press is going the way of the dodo and it deserves to.Same as mainstream media I just don't watch it anymore.

Surely if they become digital they’d rely on subscribers

Not going to get many bears subscribing to their daily trolling

What is happening just recently the Club are by passing the Media and going direct through RFC News, or to Fanzines, take a look at Hagi, FF, Patreon Etc had interviews. We can now by pass the Media and give them the Two Fingers, another reason why they only right Negative Issues.

The club’s really only dipping it’s toe in the water, though.

It has to bypass the mainstream media by developing its own. Essentially, the aim should be that Rangers fans - and others - click on official and affiliated sites and blogs for news and commentary that are not solely restricted to on-the-field matters before they even consider looking at the Record, Sun, Herald, etc. Online radio should be used to counter and challenge BBC agenda-setting, particularly on a Saturday afternoon.

Celtic don’t need to consider this as they have the MSM stitched up.

Rangers most definitely do because the club and support are arguably in a unique position in world football due to the level of political and cultural marginalisation we endure in Scotland.

Take the recent shenanigans with the SPFL as an example. Now, it is clear that some planning had gone into the club’s original PR strategy. But then it all petered out. Doncaster was given free rein on Radio Scotland to come out with lies and half-truths that weren’t challenged. As matters stand, it looks like we have been outmanoeuvred.

We have to get away from the idea that official statements significantly change anything. They are useful but they can be quickly drowned out by ’noise’. You have to keep the pressure up with material you influence or control. By encouraging associated outlets you can be proactive.

’Sectarianism’ is another example where the club has failed to recognise the reality that there has always been a political angle in using the issue to single out Rangers for demonisation.

Truthfully I think they might actually get worse over time when they become digital only.

Over the next 5-10 years print media will start to be slowly phased out in favour of the clickbait online subscriptions.

They’ll do anything to grab attention so advertising can be sold we’ve already started to see that with some of the nonsense the online additions pass off as news.

Yep, everything will be: EX-RANGERS STAR fumes on Gerrard in SHOCKING tell-all interview.

All headlines will be as vague as possible to reel the clicks in, and quality of writing will basically be non-existant. It wouldn't surprise me if these places end up using cheap labour on Fiverr. Possible that plenty of slideshows start cropping up where the reader must click an arrow to go page to page.

Misrepresentation and skewed facts are going to become even more commonplace and unchallenged as Instagram posts or tweets are spun as news sources. It doesn't help that people lap up what they read as gospel these days, so "journalists" in need of a story only need to scan Alfie's insta and find a picture with an emoji caption to turn it into a "cryptic post on his future."

Just got to hope most people get wise to the bait titles and they're forced to adapt again.

Truthfully I think they might actually get worse over time when they become digital only.

Over the next 5-10 years print media will start to be slowly phased out in favour of the clickbait online subscriptions.

They’ll do anything to grab attention so advertising can be sold we’ve already started to see that with some of the nonsense the online additions pass off as news.
This is it, the internet is just full of click bait now. Look at the Wes interview yesterday. He generally talks highly about the club. Bemoans getting dropped (fair enough . His opinion) that Stevie didn't fancy him (again fair enough, he's the manager) and that's the headline

Non. Twitter is rife with people constant swarming any post that is even a tiny bit relates to us, you have certain people with a large following who constantly target Rangers. That is much more harmful than a newspaper printing a story that only their readers see.

I find The Athletic an excellent online subscription, but it probably isn't worth it unless you have some interest in all the EPL articles as well. The fact I quite enjoy a bit of NFL makes the subscription worth it for me.

It'll make a difference for sure. Gullible and simple folks read the paper and take their nonsense as genuine, if they then go and tell other people the lies they've read will soon start to become the truth even though its a lie. The older generation and air heads who read these rags believe what they say, so the nation could do without them. Everyone will benefit without papers.

Nothing. Nothing at all.

The usual suspects will still be outraged when insert Red too here, writes about the other guys instead of our guys.

Netflix and Hollywood are a prime example of how outrage culture sells, especially when we know they're all pedophiles and crooks, we still give them £ per month cause a films a film eh?

:)

What will the death of print media mean for the publications that constantly attack us?

Well hopefully corporate 'death' - bring it on so long as no-one actively subscribes to their on line utterances !

They bleat about being ignored then they all run double pagers about Ross Wilson on Talksport - in most cases as if they had interviewed him themselves.

It won't be the end. People will still buy the print and they'll continue to 'print' nonsense online as people read it.
Yeah and a lot of them are Rangers fans, I was at the Motherwell game the one Alfie got sent off and the guy in front of me was reading The Sunday Mail!!

Back