What would be the current value of the 1992 team vs leeds

Just a bit of fun ,going by the crazy prices being paid in England just now what would be the current value of
Goran 30 mill
Robertson 25 mill
Gough 75 mill
McPherson 20 mill
Brown 15 mill
Ferguson 40 mill
Steven 50 mill
McCall 30 mill
Durrant 80 mill
Hayeley 40 mill
McCoist 40 mill
Any views on values , Ian Ferguson ?
If they were going from English club to English club then I’d say
Goram £25m (height a slight downgrade)
Robertson £30m
Gough £50m
McPherson £10m tops
Brown £15m
Ferguson £40m
Steven £60m
McCall £25m
Durrant then £25m (pre-injury Durrant I’d have said nearer your £80m)
Hateley £50m
McCoist £50m

As would the Leeds team value tbf, Strachan, Speed, McAllister, Chapman,Batty, Rocastle, Rod the Prod, Cantona
Trevor Steven to Marseille at £5.5m was an astronomical figure even then, the values in today's market would be mind blowing.
It was a British record at the time and equal to what Bari paid for Platt the year before and what Lazio paid for Gazza on 92'
If the record British transfer fees are what £100m for Coutinho and £95m for Pogba? Gives you food for thought

If you mean Butcher he had left the club a year or two before . Think the magnificent bastard paid around 3/4 million if i remember

Not a chance. That would have been close to a world record fee at the time.

Just looked it up. It was £725k. The world record fee at the time was £5mill for Maradonna going Barca to Napoli.

Edit: I knew he was before the European run. Just thinking of a yardstick from a not dissimilar financial era. It was a time when we could afford to buy England's captain and England’s captain would come to us.

Remember that team we came very very close to winning the whole thing and that was only 17 years ago not sure but think it was the proper champions cup only league winners great memories .Think my estimation of Durrant might be on the low side going by today's figures

17 years ago was 2002. You mean 27 years.

Just looked it up. It was £725k. The world record fee at the time was £5mill for Maradonna going Barca to Napoli.

Edit: I knew he was before the European run. Just thinking of a yardstick from a not dissimilar financial era. It was a time when we could afford to buy England's captain and England’s captain would come to us.
Was also helped by the English Europe ban I think

Just a bit of fun ,going by the crazy prices being paid in England just now what would be the current value of
Goran 30 mill
Robertson 25 mill
Gough 75 mill
McPherson 20 mill
Brown 15 mill
Ferguson 40 mill
Steven 50 mill
McCall 30 mill
Durrant 80 mill
Hayeley 40 mill
McCoist 40 mill
Any views on values , Ian Ferguson ?

I'll just give you a higher or a lower, hard to get these sort of things exactly spot on.

Bare in mind the OP is talking about if we were an English club.

Goram 30 mill - higher
Robertson 25 mill - lower
Gough 75 mill - lower
McPherson 20 mill - lower
Brown 15 mill - lower
Ferguson 40 mill - lower
Steven 50 mill - lower
McCall 30 mill - lower
Durrant 80 mill - lower (This was Durrant after his injury remember)
Hateley 40 mill - higher
McCoist 40 mill - higher

All IMO

Just remembered Scott Nisbets goal against Club Brugge what other player in the world could have scored that goal at Ibrox never seen one like that before or since and ive been watching football a long long time lol

To be fair, I don’t think Nisbet had the slightest intention of doing that.

If Maradonna scored the Hand of God, Nisbet scored the Act of God.

Starting Anew in my post I said 3/4 million you must have misread it not 34 but three quarters of a million

To be fair, I don’t think Nisbet had the slightest intention of doing that.

If Maradonna scored the Hand of God, Nisbet scored the Act of God.
Only person in the world that would have said he meant that was Sally was right behind that the ball turned 90 degrees in the rough funny as f***

Starting Anew in my post I said 3/4 million you must have misread it not 34 but three quarters of a million

Apologies.

In typical FF fashion, i’ll insist I was still right. You were way over by a whole £25k!! That’s like Butcher’s whole left shin!!!

Goram 25 mill
Robertson 12 mill or 50 tierney mill
Gough 25 mill
McPherson 5 mill
Brown 5 mill
Ferguson 12 mill
Steven 25 mill
McCall 15 mill
Durrant 10 mill - (Durrant after his injury, 3 times this before)
Hateley 25 mill
McCoist 25 mill

gazza and laudrup priceless

I’d be looking at todays comparable players for a guide.
For example, would van Dijk be as good as Gough?
Goram or the Liverpool lad?
McCoist and Hateley or Kane and Rashford?

Van Dijk went to Southampton from the SPFL for about £15m. He’s since been transferred for five times that amount and is now rated as a £100m player.

The point there though is that his value only increased exponentially after his move to the Premiership.

It’s unlikely that Gough, even at his peak, could command a similar fee today unless he had been doing it in the EPL first.

However, as a counterpoint to that argument, Trevor Steven left for Marseille in 1991 for a record £5.2m.

The world record at the time was £8m for Roberto Baggio the previous year.

Were that relative to today’s market, Steven would have gone for in excess of £100m.

Van Dijk went to Southampton from the SPFL for about £15m. He’s since been transferred for five times that amount and is now rated as a £100m player.

The point there though is that his value only increased exponentially after his move to the Premiership.

It’s unlikely that Gough, even at his peak, could command a similar fee today unless he had been doing it in the EPL first.

However, as a counterpoint to that argument, Trevor Steven left for Marseille in 1991 for a record £5.2m.

Were that relative to today’s market, Steven would have gone for in excess of £100m.
I get you’re point.
Maybe Gough isn’t the best example though.
He’d been doing well and the bigger, richer club came calling.

I was only 2 at the time, but were we a fancied side that year or were we an underdog? Obviously a good side, but were these players considered superstars in the way that some of the Milan and Marsielle team were?

We bought Gough from Spurs and he was their captain, but I never realised he much of a huge fee we got for Steven at the current values then .

I was a bit too young to remember but out of curiosity, how good was Trevor Steven?

Think there are 2 different things going on here.

Firstly: how good were the players compared to those in the SPL now. I think that there is a reasonable view that most of them are better than anyone currently in the SPL.

Secondly: how do you rate Scottish transfer prices and what era are you looking at? Personally I think that there is now a ceiling for Scottish prices. Probably somewhere between £20-30mill. And that a player in England is automatically worth more than the same player in Scotland. You see that withthe likes of van Dijk. However, in the era we are talking about, the Scottish and English markets were much more similar. Top English players would come to us and English prices for top players were similar to Scottish prices.

If you say that current market values were transposed to ‘93 then you would very reasonably expect Gough etc to go for close to £100mill. If you transpose the ‘93 players to the present then they are locked by the Scottish ceiling so almost all would go for around £20-30mill. I think the question is more interesting in the first scenario.

Think there are 2 different things going on here.

Firstly: how good were the players compared to those in the SPL now. I think that there is a reasonable view that most of them are better than anyone currently in the SPL.

Secondly: how do you rate Scottish transfer prices and what era are you looking at? Personally I think that there is now a ceiling for Scottish prices. Probably somewhere between £20-30mill. And that a player in England is automatically worth more than the same player in Scotland. You see that withthe likes of van Dijk. However, in the era we are talking about, the Scottish and English markets were much more similar. Top English players would come to us and English prices for top players were similar to Scottish prices.

If you say that current market values were transposed to ‘93 then you would very reasonably expect Gough etc to go for close to £100mill. If you transpose the ‘93 players to the present then they are locked by the Scottish ceiling so almost all would go for around £20-30mill. I think the question is more interesting in the first scenario.

I think it's actually a decent topic for discussion, but it lends itself to overblown fantasy football scenarios where Rangers get to rake in hundreds of millions of pounds for those players in today's market while more or less ignoring the seismic changes that have gone on in English and European football since then in terms of the billions on offer via the Premiership and Champions League and how we and Scottish football were quickly devalued as a result of being unable to compete with that level of finance to the point where - and we're in agreement on this - there is now a ceiling of about £20-25m max for any Scottish based player.

Taking Gough as an example then, we would not have been able to afford him from Spurs after his move from Tannadice in today's market. He would have instantly been priced out of our range after one successful season at White Hart Lane.

The same would also be true of many players we bought at that time, a lot of them courtesy of English football's European ban, so a workable context is needed to give the thing any real merit.

I think it's actually a decent topic for discussion, but it lends itself to overblown fantasy football scenarios where Rangers get to rake in hundreds of millions of pounds for those players in today's market while more or less ignoring the seismic changes that have gone on in English and European football since then in terms of the billions on offer via the Premiership and Champions League and how we and Scottish football were quickly devalued as a result of being unable to compete with that level of finance to the point where - and we're in agreement on this - there is now a ceiling of about £20-25m max for any Scottish based player.

Taking Gough as an example then, we would not have been able to afford him from Spurs after his move from Tannadice in today's market. He would have instantly been priced out of our range after one successful season at White Hart Lane.

The same would also be true of many players we bought at that time, a lot of them courtesy of English football's European ban, so a workable context is needed to give the thing any real merit.

Yep. Agree with all of that.

My way of interpreting the OP was to imagine that current EPL finances existed back then but with the same parity between Scotland and England as existed in ‘93. There is a lot of “ifs” there but i think it is the only way to answer without just saying that everyone would go for £20mill bar Gough, Hateley and McCoist (my biases) who’d get £25mill. And McPherson who’d be part exchanged for a cart horse (unfair I know but he was always the picked-on player amongst my mates at the time).

Back