What would you change about football?

Glasgowsteve

I’m sure there was thread about this a good few years ago with shouts for things like VAR. Now that we have it are there other changes people would like to see.

I’d like to see a British Premier League and Championship. The other leagues would act as feeder leagues.

A draft system like NFL. This would be long term project but could be beneficial. I’d propose that a central kitty is assembled from associations and TV money and every player is paid the same across all leagues from that money. No trading of draft picks.

I’d have a full squad on the bench. 3 pro subs and 2 young pros (eg U21, less than 30 appearances or less than 1500 mins playing time).

Reversing var with immediate effect, and bringing back a bit more standing areas. Ibrox for example, front of the copland and broomland.

rewind to about 15 years ago and put a spending cap in
I think you'd need to wind it back even further.
At Chelsea, in 2005 Petr Cech was earning £96,000 a week, John Terry £130k a week. At City Toure was on £190k a week and Rooney earned the same at Utd.
I agree with the sentiment though... should have been brought in late 90's early 2000's.

I'd stop the clock every time the ball went dead.

You have to make an attempt to play the ball when it's running for the byline. You can't just block the attacker until the ball runs out.
Bring in an actual offside rule that everyone knows and stick with it.
Competent refs? Nah, that's too far. I'll go with antigravity boots and playing games in the air. That's far more realistic.

I might be misremembering this but I’m sure years ago Sky Sports News asked various managers this and David O’Leary said goalkeepers shouldn’t be allowed out their own box lol.

I think you'd need to wind it back even further.
At Chelsea, in 2005 Petr Cech was earning £96,000 a week, John Terry £130k a week. At City Toure was on £190k a week and Rooney earned the same at Utd.
I agree with the sentiment though... should have been brought in late 90's early 2000's.

I'd stop the clock every time the ball went dead.
I thought the world had gone mad when Rangers were paying £5k a week to Terry Butcher etc.

I’m sure there was thread about this a good few years ago with shouts for things like VAR. Now that we have it are there other changes people would like to see.

I’d like to see a British Premier League and Championship. The other leagues would act as feeder leagues.

A draft system like NFL. This would be long term project but could be beneficial. I’d propose that a central kitty is assembled from associations and TV money and every player is paid the same across all leagues from that money. No trading of draft picks.

I’d have a full squad on the bench. 3 pro subs and 2 young pros (eg U21, less than 30 appearances or less than 1500 mins playing time).
Bring back the three foreigner rule . With it now we could win the Europa league

Blessing yourself is an automatic red card......

On a serious note get VAR to fck!

Proper caps on salaries (not this FFP nonsense which just protects the wealthiest clubs).

Some sort of alternative youth system that stops the richest clubs having a huge stable of young lads that never make the first team and have their careers ruined.

A financial support system for players, providing properly regulated pension support - far too many professionals end up broke after retirement as nobody has ever taught them what to do with their money - rather than just hoping that one day they'll be making £200k a week, and alternative education/career advice if they don't make it.

Get rid of seedings in all tournaments. To win a tournament you need to beat the best so may as well beat them in round 1.

Scrap the new European tournament and restore the old Cup Winners Cup.

Make Champions League for Champions.

A proper salary and spending cap that would make clubs think about what they spending their money in.

When a defender sees a ball out of play with no attempt to play the ball award free kick to attacking team for obstruction.

Another vote for a change to the offside rule and throw ins. Get the offside rule back to 60's/70's version. Possibly make underhand throwing allowed for throw ins.

Linesmen (not assistants): If a player is offside just get your flag up and stop poncing about.

A cap on wages and a non-corrupt governing body would be positives for the game I'd say...

No refs of Tim persuasion to ref either their or our games.
If that means foreign refs brought in, then so be it. I’m sick of the “incompetence” of officials up here.

- Colt teams in Scotland with promotion capped at 2nd highest league.
- An 18 team SPL, with 2 tiers of 14 beneath that.
- A European champions league for European champions which doesn't require them to qualify at the expense of other leagues placings.
- SPFL Overhaul
- Global wage budget cap to keep thinks from going insane.

In force the 6 second rule I constantly see keepers holding the ball for well over 30 secs against us, the Referee is told to be lenient with the rule anything over 10 seconds it’s being abused .The rule was to stop time wasting and get the ball back in play right away .

Standing areas
No VAR
Price cap on tickets - Max £25 per game
British football for the top divisions
The timer to stop when the ball is out of play

If you made football rules now there is no way thrown-ins would be a thing.

Kick-ins would improve the game imo. Like getting corners from more positions.

Also, change matches to 60,70 or 80 mins but the clock stops when ball is not in play. C*nts time wasting from the first minute does my dome in.

Blessing yourself is an automatic red card......

On a serious note get VAR to fck!
FFS bud, we’d be down to five players at the start of each game!
Have you see the players come out of the tunnel?
Actually, when I see it, I still smile that it’s so normal these days and that it doesn’t raise as much as a comment.
Oh, and that the lack of negative comment probably disgusts the watching press.

Linesmen (not assistants): If a player is offside just get your flag up and stop poncing about.

A cap on wages and a non-corrupt governing body would be positives for the game I'd say...
We wouldn’t have got our penalty last week.

25% capacity Standing, no var, beer on the terraces and all tickets under £20 in terraces. Minimum 15% away fan tickets, 5% of which must be standing. Matches more than 150 miles distance between Clubs only to be played on weekends with kick offs before 3pm. Fixture dates and times to be set 90 days before each match round.

Also, change matches to 60,70 or 80 mins but the clock stops when ball is not in play. C*nts time wasting from the first minute does my dome in.
I’ve always liked this idea.
Despite that tonight’s game would finish around midnight.

Actually, when I see it, I still smile that it’s so normal these days and that it doesn’t raise as much as a comment.
Oh, and that the lack of negative comment probably disgusts the watching press mentally challengeds.
Couple of wee amendments for you there tazza. The only people that care about our players religion is that mob. Genuinely bizarre.

Oh, and that the lack of negative comment probably disgusts the watching press.
HAHA I know mate was only kidding. I don't mind what they do before during or after the game as long as they are producing results :)

No VAR
Salary cap
No payment of transfer fees by installments or through debt - upfront cash payments only.
Limit to senior squad sizes and numbers - act against player hoarding
No seedings

I'll go against the grain and say I'm a fan of VAR (if used properly). It's a shambles in England which seems to be putting people off it. Also, the issue with handballs/offside isn't VAR, it's the rules.

See the Milan derby last night. Took the ref under a minute to award the pen. Would have taken about 5 mins in England.

Move clubs to their rightful countries. If a cub and it's fans hated Scotland and Britain for example and see themselves as Irish. Let them go to Ireland and play there.

Rewind it to 1986-87 , terraces and a bit o crack on a Saturday 3pm kick offs

modern day football I find is somewhat pish

'half court violation' from Basketball.
Once you cross the half-way line you can 't intentionally play the ball back into your own half.

30 mins a half with the clock stopping every time the ball is out of play.
It would probably still slightly lengthen the duration of an average game but imagine the excitement of the crowd counting down the seconds while holding a slim lead.

Wenger proposed the kick in rule, the argument against it was that it would slow the game down as teams would treat anything from 60 yards out as a chance to load the box.

The one idea Wenger had that i liked was that you should be able to take a free kick to yourself.

Back