What would you change about football?

I quite like the draft system idea. Gets complicated in the way that (I think) NFL players contracts are with the NFL, not each franchise.

But if we stopped having each team with their own youth system, and pull together the resources under an umbrella with regional centres, I think it would help develop talent, and not allow us and them to hover up the best talent.

I've said it before on here, but narrowing the gap between us and the rest is what the league desperately needs.

Change CL to league winners, in the hope it leads to greater distribution of wealth & talent amongst a number of European leagues.

The uefa cup & the cup winners cup make a a return in place of the EL & the abysmally named ‘conference league’.

Not sure I’d change anything about the actual in game aspects. I would also do away with academies up until a certain age (say 12).

Wenger proposed the kick in rule, the argument against it was that it would slow the game down as teams would treat anything from 60 yards out as a chance to load the box.

The one idea Wenger had that i liked was that you should be able to take a free kick to yourself.

I think I could live with that.

Get a bit tougher on time wasting, goal kicks etc. Some games against us when teams get an early goal, park the bus and time waste from the 18th minute, boils my blood.

We wouldn’t have got our penalty last week.
Morelos wasn't offside. Crossed wires here - I'm not talking about players not interfering with play being given offside. I'm talking about instances where a player is for example running up the wing to catch the ball when he is clearly offside, but the linesman waits and waits until he touches the ball and take it into the penalty area.

Champions league/Europa league Knock out tournament last 16 preferably in Germany.Sack Celtic from the league for Harbouring paedophiles for 50 odd years stripped of all trophies won during that time.All refs to divulge which team they support and be designated games out with that team.The whole debacle that is SPFL Doncaster et all to be shown the door and get proper football people in from abroad preferably holland or Germany.

Return the CL to being champions only, no seeding, two legged ties

Change the EPL to the UKPL allowing champions from Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland access to an expanded playoffs with the winners of the Championship

Confine all Internationals to the off season

Make it a proper contact sport again (see 1980's games for reference youngsters). And let us sing what we want.

I would bring in rolling subs. Allow the fourth official to manage it and teams can sub as and when they can with no stoppages. The speed of the game would be so much quicker and allow players to have a huge impact for ten mins or so then go off and then back on again.

Would also like there to be a sin bin or something for when defenders just wipe players out “taken one for the team” as some of the pundits call it. That young Celtic loan players attempted tackle on Kent at the weekend is the prime example of this. A booking isn’t punishment enough for what’s stopping a good breakaway/goal scoring opportunity

Scrap VAR before it destroys football completely.
A wage cap to level the playing field somewhat.
Champions only in the 'champions' league, with unseeded drawing.
Safe standing at all senior grounds in the UK where a majority of ST holders vote in favour of it.

Thats the tip of the iceberg but it would do for starters

Be interesting if they did that Champions only Champions League. Although I would like to see it I think it would push so many Clubs towards playing daft friendly comps pre season etc to make money. The tv rights and sponsorship money would be absolute peanuts compared to now. Could just Bayern winning it by playing Luxembourg, Ukraine, Norway, Moldova and finally the Champions of France in the final.

I would like to see a 'Sin Bin' introduced for pulling a player back if they have been able to get past them. Too many times I have seen a free kick given but to no advantage of the attacking team, 'Sin Bin' the player for 10 min's and give the attacking team an advantage during that time. It would also hopefully make players think twice about trying to pull an attacking player back and breaking up an attacking team.

Wenger proposed the kick in rule, the argument against it was that it would slow the game down as teams would treat anything from 60 yards out as a chance to load the box.

The one idea Wenger had that i liked was that you should be able to take a free kick to yourself.
Think his biggest gripe was that he viewed a throw in as a disadvantage as you're effectively a man down

Get a bit tougher on time wasting, goal kicks etc. Some games against us when teams get an early goal, park the bus and time waste from the 18th minute, boils my blood.
We do it ourselves mate, it’s a part of the game that teams use to their advantage & I have no issue with it.

McGregor is brilliant at it.

Morelos wasn't offside. Crossed wires here - I'm not talking about players not interfering with play being given offside. I'm talking about instances where a player is for example running up the wing to catch the ball when he is clearly offside, but the linesman waits and waits until he touches the ball and take it into the penalty area.
I think Kent might’ve been though.
In general though, I agree with you.
Waiting and waiting for the obvious conclusion is just wasting time.

We do it ourselves mate, it’s a part of the game that teams use to their advantage & I have no issue with it.

I know what you’re saying about McGregor but it’s only part of the game because it’s been allowed to become so.
It’s cheating.
In the same was as feigning injury or even giving away a “good” foul.

I know what you’re saying about McGregor but it’s only part of the game because it’s been allowed to become so.
It’s cheating.
In the same was as feigning injury or even giving away a “good” foul.
I don’t really see them as cheating, see them as more ‘dark arts’ type stuff that has been rife in the game for as long as time began.

I’d expect our players to do the same, they have done numerous times & it’s a part of the game we are good at under Gerrard.

I personally don’t have a problem with us time wasting, smart fouls (Jack against YB springs to mind) & our players perhaps lying down longer than necessary (Alfie does this a lot).

It’s all part of the game & there are reasons for it.

I understand your point about cheating, but I like that side of the game to be perfectly honest.

Fair point. I know what you mean, but I reckon the times it's used against us far outweighs the times we utilise it for me. Seeing out the final few minutes of a game is different from time wasting early in the first half, which we've witnessed alot of lately domestically.

Fair point. I know what you mean, but I reckon the times it's used against us far outweighs the times we utilise it for me. Seeing out the final few minutes of a game is different from time wasting early in the first half, which we've witnessed alot of lately domestically.
Yeah fair enough, the only time it’s annoyed me was Boxing Day 2019 when we played Killie.

Normally I don’t mind the dark arts type stuff, the same way I don’t mind teams playing 5-5-0 against us.

They are clearly inferior so need to do all they can to get the points, the same as we would do under Walter in Europe.

I do agree refs should start being stricter on it at goal kicks though, there is absolutely no need for it then & it’s so blatant.

Bigger goals or only allow wee fat lads to be the goalie.
The bigger goals, actually, bigger pitches with scaled up inner dimensions is not so stupid.
Football was designed whe five foot four wasn’t all that small, five-eight was average and five-ten was tall.
The sixty metres world record has been reduce by at least ten percent and every endurance record we ever had has been bettered by way more than that.
It could easily be argued that playing areas are increased by ten percent.
OR
We go ten-a-side!

I don’t really see them as cheating, see them as more ‘dark arts’ type stuff that has been rife in the game for as long as time began.

I’d expect our players to do the same, they have done numerous times & it’s a part of the game we are good at under Gerrard.

I personally don’t have a problem with us time wasting, smart fouls (Jack against YB springs to mind) & our players perhaps lying down longer than necessary (Alfie does this a lot).

It’s all part of the game & there are reasons for it.

I understand your point about cheating, but I like that side of the game to be perfectly honest.
Wouldn’t want to play you at poker!

The bigger goals, actually, bigger pitches with scaled up inner dimensions is not so stupid.
Football was designed whe five foot four wasn’t all that small, five-eight was average and five-ten was tall.
The sixty metres world record has been reduce by at least ten percent and every endurance record we ever had has been bettered by way more than that.
It could easily be argued that playing areas are increased by ten percent.
OR
We go ten-a-side!
I’m not sure if it’s just me, but I’ve been to St Mirren’s stadium an awful lot & I swear the pitch is tiny in comparison to Ibrox.

Champions League / Elite Leagues Salary Cap
60-minute ball in play game
Greater emphasis on European youth competition (post-covid)

Yeah fair enough, the only time it’s annoyed me was Boxing Day 2019 when we played Killie.

Normally I don’t mind the dark arts type stuff, the same way I don’t mind teams playing 5-5-0 against us.

They are clearly inferior so need to do all they can to get the points, the same as we would do under Walter in Europe.

I do agree refs should start being stricter on it at goal kicks though, there is absolutely no need for it then & it’s so blatant.
Ten seconds, fifteen tops.
Ten maximum for a throw in.
Ross County keeper took nearly a minute for a goal kick last week.
Motherwell man the same, in the third minute!

Diving.
I absolutely detest it from any player.
The game has changed for the worse in the last 10 -15 years because of it. It's cheating and shows how much modern players have no morals compared to players from years ago. Even falling to the ground with the slightest contact angers me.
We need to find a way to eradicate it as soon as possible.

I would stop keepers from leaving the box. It would do away with the sweeper keeper stuff. It would definitely stretch the game a bit.

Refs apply the rules and the players to accept them,Players stealing yards at free kicks,throw ins,kicking the ball or throwing it away when they are pulled up for fouls and not getting what they think is their throw in,Time wasting and gamesmanship in general.

Remove gambling companies from advertising and football in general, they are now overwhelming and for a reason. It's pure abuse targeting working class men, those with the most limited education and least resources - no one ever wins at gambling other than the bookie, over the long term.

It's the simple law of large numbers. Impossible to win (over long term) hence why betting companies make fortunes for their c-suite and investor/shareholders and so many are IPO-ing right now.

Grass parks
As previously mentioned European tournaments all in the hat and luck of the draw( also back to 3 tournaments)
Was thinking do away with transfer windows, but there’s benefits.

no points for a 0-0
might make teams more offensively minded knowing they have to score to get something from the game.

Back