Whatever happened to Chick Young?

I lost all respect for him when he was commentating on Milan v Paedo FC

bottle thrown from Celtic fans.

Chic " Just because they are wearing Celtic scarfs and Celtic strips doesn't mean to say they are Celtic fans"

There was another time back in the 90s,

just when Sol with a slice of lemon became popular. I was in the pub at the bottom of Byres rd. They had ran out of limes, causing Chic to go off on one "this is an outrage etc. He was acting the cnut with the bar staff, do you know who I am etc

Absolute dick pal of Walter's or not
Yip, my experiences with him on more than one occasion, he knows my mates well but I just couldn’t take to the wee man. I still find time to laugh at some of the comedy clips tho!

Did he retire or what?
I spent the night with him and Craig Hallket (photographer) night before Borrussia Munchengladbach...... he was cheap prick btw...... he certainly made it clear he was a bear as did Hallket. Not sure why he became such a fud. Relevance is my guess. Did talk some pish btw

I spent the night with him and Craig Hallket (photographer) night before Borrussia Munchengladbach...... he was cheap prick btw...... he certainly made it clear he was a bear as did Hallket. Not sure why he became such a fud. Relevance is my guess. Did talk some pish btw
He wishes!

No bear would put on the Celtic top he was wearing in Suvuw!

Dick Gordon and co should be done for bullying in the workplace the amount of times they’ve kicked him around verbally on radio shortbread!!

In terms of arseholes in the media, Chic Young would not be in that category for me.

Young along with Keevins are probably the last of the old school media pundits. Keevins regularly shows himself up on the phone ins by all accounts.

I've no gripe with Chic, yes a numpty at times, but generally seems to be well thought of in football circles.

Certainly not in the arsehole league like Jackson or spiers or vhermin who have wormed their way into a so called journalist role.

Always had interesting snippets of news regarding Rangers, now mainly out of the limelight.

One of the better BBC Scotland reporters.

Not having a go, but did you speak to him, or have anything to do with him?
Always surprises me when folk say "Aye he came acorss as a prick or a fanny" when they didn't even know the guy and only saw him at a newsagents.
Yep ..agree with you MW ..I've been in his company a few times in his favourite boozers ..Bobby's tavern in sunny Costa del Millport and although he thinks he's a bit of a celebrity his company is funny he's a half decent guy that definitely has more than a soft spot for the famous

His reporting on radio is terrible. He cannot do the simplest of tasks of reading out a starting 11 without making a mistake or a "joke". I think he tries to be funny but I just find it annoying. When I listen to the radio I'm listening for the facts. Maybe I am just a grumpy auld guy. He does manage to secure good interviews with older players though.

So, during the course of this thread we have established that Chick Young is both a good guy and an absolute arsehole, and both a Rangers man who enjoys Sashing it up and a Rangers hater.

Glad we got that cleared up.
I phoned in the radio Scotland phone in about ten years ago when Jim Traynor was covering for Chick young. I said Jim, chick young says people should support their local club, he said yes he does. I said so why then If chick young was brought up in Govan why does he support St Mirren.
He laughed and said don’t believe anything chick tells you

I phoned in the radio Scotland phone in about ten years ago when Jim Traynor was covering for Chick young. I said Jim, chick young says people should support their local club, he said yes he does. I said so why then If chick young was brought up in Govan why does he support St Mirren.
He laughed and said don’t believe anything chick tells you
He once told me that he was a Third Lanark fan, but when they folded, he became a St Mirren fan.

And then there's the photo of him in the Celtic top in Suvuw . . .

Walter and Chick getting on well?
The way in which Walter talks to him in that video is obviously because he knows him well. Although he puts Young firmly in his place, I don't think he would necessarily have been so bold or short with someone who he didn't feel comfortable around. Like calling your friend a fud when they're acting like a fud, which you wouldn't ever do with a stranger.

I beg to differ.

Wasn't he part of the St Mirren Trust?
As the old saying goes "It says India on my tyres but I don't wear a turban"

He is as much a St Mirren fan as George Bowie is a Morton fan. Ironically both teams were chosen for the same reason.

Back