Whatever happened to Martin Henderson?

Teddyjohn

A blast from the past and came into the Rangers team in late 1975 after getting knocked out of the European Cup by St.Etienne.

Six months later Rangers were treble champs and 20 year old Henderson was a valuable member of the Rangers team as first choice striker.

After this he quickly fell from grace and after a spell with Hibs went to America but nothing has been heard of him since. Always interesting to know how ex players are doing.

Hibs, philly fury, Leicester city, Port Vale, Chesterfield and Spalding United according to Wikipedia

Don't remind me.

He was fu.ckin rotten.

Where he is now, I've no idea.
The thing is he was first pick CF in a side which won the treble. Derek Johnstone largely played as an attacking midfielder wearing the number 11 shirt and Tommy McLean played mostly in midfield wearing number 10. McLean's switch was down to both his ability to play there plus the excellent form of McKean on the right.

The thing is he was first pick CF in a side which won the treble. Derek Johnstone largely played as an attacking midfielder wearing the number 11 shirt and Tommy McLean played mostly in midfield wearing number 10. McLean's switch was down to both his ability to play there plus the excellent form of McKean on the right.
Agreed.

I never ever liked him but always supported him as long as he wore the jersey.
Abuse of players at games never has and never will be right.

I think there was a game where he scored a hat trick in the first five minutes but got subbed at HT because he had to go to mass.

Always have fond memories of Martin as he played and scored twice when we beat Dundee 2-0 at Ibrox in Nov 1975 - my first ever Rangers game.

He did come to Leicester, never knew what he did thereafter, but (unless my memory is wrong) seem to remember reading a Leicester Mercury report, some years later, that he'd got the jail after money disappeared from the Post Office he was running.
As a Rangers fan down here in Leicestershire, I was quite pleased JW brought him down here. He played beside Jim Melrose (£250k from Partick Thistle iirc), partnership seemed great to start with but didnae last. Alan Young came after, Melrose ended up at the scumdome, not sure if I'm correct in my memory of Martin Henderson.

I think there was a game where he scored a hat trick in the first five minutes but got subbed at HT because he had to go to mass.
:):cool: Stayed near me and was at same school as MH, and it wasn't a pape one. He was an ersehole tho' and a Celtic fan.

A blast from the past and came into the Rangers team in late 1975 after getting knocked out of the European Cup by St.Etienne.

Six months later Rangers were treble champs and 20 year old Henderson was a valuable member of the Rangers team as first choice striker.

After this he quickly fell from grace and after a spell with Hibs went to America but nothing has been heard of him since. Always interesting to know how ex players are doing.
Sorry if I'm wrong but I don't remember Martin Henderson being a " valuable " member

I was named after him apparently.

Presumably because they liked the name rather than a tribute to his merits as a footballer.

The treble team he played in was a team that just clicked and Jock Wallace had the sense not to change it.

That just smacks of urban myth - bullshit, if you like. I thought he was shite, but the real Big Jock saw something in him.

My only memory of him was him hitting the bar with a header in the 77 non penalty scottish cup final

Kirk clubfoot ,jim denny ,black the painter
Sorry but, Jim Denny should NEVER be bracketed alongside the likes of Ian Black, Kirk Broadfoot and Kevin Kyle!
Jim Denny was a very useful squad member for a good number of years
( including the ECWC 1972 ). He was obviously pretty highly rated by three legendary Rangers managers, Willie Waddell, Jock Wallace and John Greig, and as such deserves a bit of respect.

I will always be thankful that his Mother married my Dads Cousin many years ago. I never struggled for tickets, while Martin was with us. PS: BTW believe me, Mass, was a no no, for the Big Yin LOL

Last edited:
One of a number of young players over the years who came into the team and looked good at first, but who just faded away into obscurity. Think Iain Macdonald, Andy Kennedy, Jamie Ness, Neil Murray and maybe even Charlie Miller.
But Martin Henderson was a key player in a treble winning team, which is more than most Rangers players can claim. So good luck to him whatever he's doing.

The 2 treble season had that in common.
The DJ and Parlane partnership didn't play much.

2 fantastic players of course.
Was never a great “partnership” when it did play.
Thought it strange because it wasn’t, or shouldn’t have been, a typical big guy/big guy one dimensional pairing.
Both were mobile enough on the ground, both played in midfield for spells and we did have footballers behind them .

Martin played 47 games for us and scored 14 goals. He scored some important goals in the Treble season according to the Player By Player book.

I seem to recall seeing him playing for Leicester on a really cold day, and him wearing black leggings/tights?

One of a number of young players over the years who came into the team and looked good at first, but who just faded away into obscurity. Think Iain Macdonald, Andy Kennedy, Jamie Ness, Neil Murray and maybe even Charlie Miller.

No way does Charlie fall into that bracket.

Martin played 47 games for us and scored 14 goals. He scored some important goals in the Treble season according to the Player By Player book.
I remember a neerday game at Tynecastle, we went 1-0 down and Henderson scored 2 in the 2nd half- a vital victory.

Back