What's an appropriate assessment of Beale?

The_Gaffer

My instinct post match yesterday was to laugh off and borderline ridicule anyone calling for him to go and I still think that is a ludicrous stance but does he deserve some criticism? Is it masking all manner of sins to just keep telling ourselves this will be better after the summer?

We were a shapeless mess under GVB, he wasn't getting a tune out the players anymore and the away record in the league during his time here was abject. Beale has got a level of consistency out of the players in the last 5 months which is quite impressive, performances at Tynecastle and Easter Road in particular were very good.

There's a general mood among the fans that most of these players have let us down time and time again which I don't disagree with, we're sick of them Heart & Hand said yesterday which I think is fair comment - having said that what are the realistic expectations of Beale with this group when he's been able to bring in 2 players? It's a group we all largely want rid of yet in the meantime he's to win both cups with them and cut the points on Celtic - how do those 2 stances compute? Has he not done about as much as he really could (up until yesterday).

However, a bit of the old school - if he can't beat Celtic, is he any use to us? Now this may change in the coming weeks but there is a worrying trend against them this season that doesn't look like changing, we miss chances and they take theirs, can he really absorb a record of Played 5, Won 0 come the end of the season?

Then there's the media stuff, Ferguson said some managers make the mistake of thinking you always have to say something interesting but then, we complained GVB was like a robot, a complete bore - are a lot of the comments him trying to reassure the support, maybe clumsily, that change is coming?

For me Beale has to absolutely get the whole of next season but I think he's case and point for why a lot of managers do not take jobs mid season, criticism of him should be measured but I find it really difficult to judge just how much at fault he really is for a lot of things.

Needs the summer transfer window, the same serial losers we have on the pitch failed Gio and Gerrard for most of his spell here, let's not forget that.

The truth is he took over an absolute shitshow and has done well to get what he has out these players in his time here barring a few obvious results.

Roll on the summer.

Done the basics in winning the majority of the games against the dross but he has failed in the big games that have mattered think he has done what we can with the squad.

Our shape and tactics around this possession based style of play is concerning though.

Yes he needs the summer window to stamp his mark on the squad but this is a massive rebuild that will take several windows possibly 2/3 to overhaul things.

And lastly if he blindly goes into next season thinking 4/5 signings will turn us into winners again then he will be out of a job by Christmas imo again we need a complete rebuild.

What's this much of nothing?
Well he had 100% record until yesterday against the rest of the league
Despite losing at Parkhead, very competitive and should've gotten something.
Should've beaten them in January

That is miles away from where we were under GVB. So I'm surprised he's been able to even get that out of this group.

Until this group is dismantled, I won't have much criticism for him.

Red rotten for me so far.

Any big test, he’s failed so far.

Give him the summer window and let’s see what he can bring.

He has no excuses, he’s his own man and he’s in charge of bringing his own players in without interference from Wilson, so let’s see how he goes until Xmas or even before that.

This sums it up for me.

I haven’t seen any calls for him to go to be honest.

We’re all accepted he gets the summer so calling for his head is just daft.

But we cannot get away from the fact the major tests have been failed. Whether folk blame the players entirely or not. And frankly I don’t know how you can blame the players for the lineups and subs that cost or stunted us in the previous old firm games.

There’s a cup to win still, and frankly win it he must.
We have a litany of what ifs from his previous old firm games, some of it officials, some of it our own doing.

The time for excuses is over however. He has to beat them next week or talking about giving him the summer starts to sound like giving Pedro Caxhinha the summer after the way his few months started

I don't think there is any doubt that Beale is an excellent coach.

He is however a rookie manager and that does show in terms of game management (team selection on occasion, substitutions, timing of substitutions etc.).

He is learning on the job and we really don't know how good he will eventually be at it.

Certainly a risky appointment by the Board which may or may not pay off. We'll have a better idea next season if he is allowed to add some proper first eleven quality to our ranks.

Positives
Knows the score league wise. Isn't coming in to a new situation
Takes the bins out against the jobbers (yesterday excepted)
Two good first signings in the transfer market
Track record of improving players

Negatives
Record against that mob is poor
Talks far too much
In game subs can be wild
Loyalty to certain players who don't deserve it
Unable to stop us losing the same weak goals or coach basic errors out of our back four

Next week is crucial for him. Win and the pressure is eased as surely we win the cup FFS. Lose and the pressure rises as that will be 4 games without a win against them and to be brutally honest I could not care less about a dead rubber win at Ibrox, the sort of win that the Tims dined out on in the 90's and convinced themselves next year will different

Talk of sacking him is not for me but he absolutely needs to clean house in the summer squad wise. If he doesn't, he'll be out of a job sooner than later.

Doesn't matter who the manager is, this squad will get them the sack.

Last edited:
Red rotten for me so far.

Any big test, he’s failed so far.

Give him the summer window and let’s see what he can bring.

He has no excuses, he’s his own man and he’s in charge of bringing his own players in without interference from Wilson, so let’s see how he goes until Xmas or even before that.
Does the cup semi against Aberdeen not count as a big test?

Or does that not fit the narrative?

Think he’s done reasonably well given every game is played with minimum 1/3 of the squad unavailable.

Players.

They’ve let him down. Sure some of his subs were weird, but it’s the players. He now knows who he can’t trust.

I want him to show us that next weekend, show some balls, bin the dross and give others a chance.
There is no others to bring in why are people not getting this,he’s playing his strongest team available and we’re stuck with it until the summer.

The jury is out. He’s done reasonably well so far in getting consistency of results, however he has failed in the 3 biggest games he has had. If that continues next week and the gap in the league continues to grow, he’ll be really up against it come the summer and the start of the new season.

Recruitment looks much better but he has a huge task to rebuild the squad in the summer and to trim some fat from the squad. Identifying players should be the easy thing; actually getting them in the door and getting rid of players will be difficult, especially with no DOF on the horizon.

Failed in the big games, if you think that fine but if you also think the players are serial losers, would get anyone the sack etc etc what is he realistically meant to do?

However, as I said in the OP I do agree with the notion that if you can't beat Celtic then what use are you to Rangers?

Not see anyone really tackle that point, I can't really say I'm sure myself.

I'm not convinced and will call it now - he'll not see next season out. Lacks in the basics for me. Subs, team selection, tactics. He's sending out loud signals, and they aren't good.

The team at the top of the league are there and it's largely due to their manager making substitutions that make a difference. Keeping players fresh, interested, match sharp. Celtic players know there's a good chance they'll get some game time each week. Players being subbed know it's not a negative reflection on them - it's to keep things going.

Our manager accepts we were poor in yesterday's second half. He made one change because the player was carrying a knock. The other change came in the 88th minute.

Not for the first time he's been left looking clueless - the final being a perfect example.

We're doomed captain!

Based on the 'big' games, extremely worried. He did have us consistently beating the jobbers there for a while which we always struggle with. He will deservedly get 2 transfer windows but just feel he will go for the same type of player that our squad is full of. I dont want to see us linked with players that he was aware of in England as a coach. He simply has to get the right players in or we will be right back where we started.

It might seem harsh but to me he gets judged on the remaining games. Could still be a decent end to the season if we beat them at Hampden and put in a decent showing at Ibrox to lay down a marker for next year.

Its pointless writing off this season and pretending that we are going to spend a fortune in the summer and pre season will change everything around the club. I get some players need moved on but management is all about getting the best out of the players we have.

We have more than enough quality in this squad to win the remaining old firms, all the evidence you need is us beating them last year at Hampden with more or less the same team.

He needs to organise a defence. Weve conceded 7 goals against Celtic in 3 games this season. We are not winning anything in a 2 horse race when we are that porous.

Il be honest as well. I fully expect the exact same back 4 to be trotted out next season. And this is my biggest fear of all under Beale. I dont think he realises where the real problem is.

He inherited a situation that meant the league was realistically done. He had to win 1 of the 2 cups as a minimum to salvage something from this season.

We have the chance to put a hand on the trophy by winning on Sunday. I would be confident we could do it if we had forwards who threaten them.

He deserves time and money.

My bbiggest concern is that he doesn't weed out the wasters that he needs to.

We're tactically set up better. Our players know what's expected of them and what their roles are in the team - that sounds like a low bar, but they clearly didn't know what they were supposed to do under Gio at times. There's patterns of play and a clear idea of what we're *trying* to do.

We're good at beating the dross, yesterday's debacle excluded. There was improvement in a number of players. I think it's clear he's an excellent coach.

The same defensive frailties are there, though. The same lapses in concentration and the same stupid mistakes. The same lack of character when it matters, the same lack of grit or capability for a battling performance. It's hard to discern how much of that is Beale's responsibility when we've seen this set of players fail consistently under different managerial teams.

His record against Celtic is obviously very poor. We should have won at Ibrox and his team selection in the Cup Final cost us. I have a slight (and unfair) fear that he might struggle to manage the big games.

Beale needs a proper season with his own players before we can really judge him. But we need to get rid of a lot of this current team, or we'll be having this exact same conversation about the next manager soon enough.

This sums it up for me.

I haven’t seen any calls for him to go to be honest.

We’re all accepted he gets the summer so calling for his head is just daft.

But we cannot get away from the fact the major tests have been failed. Whether folk blame the players entirely or not. And frankly I don’t know how you can blame the players for the lineups and subs that cost or stunted us in the previous old firm games.

There’s a cup to win still, and frankly win it he must.
We have a litany of what ifs from his previous old firm games, some of it officials, some of it our own doing.

The time for excuses is over however. He has to beat them next week or talking about giving him the summer starts to sound like giving Pedro Caxhinha the summer after the way his few months started
You’re saying at the start “we’re all accepted he gets the summer”, but end it with “he has to beat them next week or talking about giving him the summer starts to sound like giving Pedro Caixinha the summer”. Which is it ?

I like him, but not 100% convinced he is the man YET

As others have said, its the same players making the same mistakes for three of the last four years and at the same time getting older and more stale. He's in a difficult situation this season as he has been forced to use these serial failures.

He needs to show no mercy in the transfer market. No player is indispensable - everyone worth money can and, in my view, should be moved on. All players out of contract should be released. We need a real spine and quality in the final third. The board need to find a way to facilitate this

Otherwise we'll be looking for another manager next season

He has made two signings, you can clearly see they have quality to impact the game and both work hard for the team.

He needs time and he needs to get it right this window and I don't just mean incomings, I mean outgoings as well.

We need to try and move Davies on, we will be moving on Morelos, McGregor, Helandar. I would be trying to move Borna on. He needs to makes a decision with Matondo, can we move him on or do we work hard on him and get him right up to speed so he can impact games?

Can he move Colak and Roofe on, will anyone take them.

All these guys need to go. They are either not good enough, too old or too injury prone.

I think Kent is staying and I am not too disappointed with that.

We also need to try and offload Wright.

Sakala I would probably keep as an impact player.

Hagi is another, do we see how he is pre-season or get some money back if someone is willing to offer 3m?

Jury out on Beale but he has brought in two players who have improved the team. He must be aware we require at least another half a dozen players on top of that.

The acid test will be next season.

Hes came into a mess and slightly tidied it up, too many players simply not good enough, same players making mistakes, missing chances, getting injured, the squad needs shaken up, Beale will do well if he gets his signings right.

You just said it isn't working with this squad as if he can change the squad right nonow.
Yip, leaving them wide open at the back is killing the team, their not fit enough or smart enough for this high risk style, make them play closer together and more compact . Get the defence defending and the attack attacking. Not the other way about

Back