What's the best age to take your kid to Ibrox for the first time?

stevie221

Just asking cos my wee grandaughter Lily is now 6 days old. I know that's far too young buy we took her mum Heather to the game v Beitar Jerusalem when she was 18 months but the roaring scared her so we (mum and dad) got season tickets with her in the newly opened Family Stand when she was 5 and she loved her time there.

My dad took me to a game in 1969 when I was 4 and we went to a few games in the 1969/70 season and then he mostly left me home until I was 10. Reason is we'd all like to be back in the Broomie Rear and the whole extended family could sit there. It's a place where even with high demand you can always get groups of seats at the start of each season because families have to leave (we've been there) when the oldest turns 17.

That's a great age to take her, I took my son on his 5th birthday and he loved it from walking up to Ibrox to talking about it on the way home, he' still going to the games with me every week and he's 32 now lol, but I took my daughter aged 6 and as soon as she seen Broxi she wanted home every 2 mins "can we go home now " and no amount of crisps and sweets would shut her up. She's 24 now and a good Rangers fan but only hoes now and again. Kids..... Take her you'll both enjoy it.

I took my son at 5 he didn't appreciate it much. I grew up in the 80s in west Lothian and money was tight In my family. I would have given a limb to go and watch the rangers. Any chance I got to go to the game I took it and appreciated it. Kids today huh, don't know there born. On another note my daughter Billie loves going to watch the boys in blue. But I think it just depends on the kid.

That's a great age to take her, I took my son on his 5th birthday and he loved it from walking up to Ibrox to talking about it on the way home, he' still going to the games with me every week and he's 32 now lol, but I took my daughter aged 6 and as soon as she seen Broxi she wanted home every 2 mins "can we go home now " and no amount of crisps and sweets would shut her up. She's 24 now and a good Rangers fan but only hoes now and again. Kids..... Take her you'll both enjoy it.
F() ck just noticed you said 6 weeks old.... Id be shitting myself in case I dropped her while celebrating a goal.....

6 days old sounds ideal - take her along tonight!!
Tried but can't get tickets and I'd be in the dog house with the missus although mum and dad were quite keen as they haven't slept for a few nights!

To be honest I have this vision of tens of thousands of babies at Ibrox creating a racket during some of the quieter games.

Took my boy to the Legends match in Blackpool earlier this year.

Still think he was a tad young at just over 4 1/2 years old.

Time to try again as hes asking why theres a bike in the trophy room and has demanded to see if it is real...

F() ck just noticed you said 6 weeks old.... Id be shitting myself in case I dropped her while celebrating a goal.....
6 days, but I understand your point. For years mine would start bawling after I roared if Rangers scored. I remember my mum saying I was the same as a toddler - and that was just when the men were watching the highlights.

Took my boy to his first game aged four it was a Euro qualifier. Then about half a dozen games that season. Now six and had a season ticket since Gerrrard came in. Goes to most games & enjoys himself.

I took my boy when he was 6 but purely because he asked to go.

It was during the spiv/boycott time which made me think twice but on reflection i couldnt deny him the chance to go see rangers.

Took my boy to his first game aged four it was a Euro qualifier. Then about half a dozen games that season. Now six and had a season ticket since Gerrrard came in. Goes to most games & enjoys himself.
Just wonder if many of you use the Family Section. We started when it first opened and we developed loads of lasting friendships and our own singing section - the Family Section Loyal. Fantastic memories and I now sometimes meet the kids who have grown up now which is always special.

Took my boy aged 5 and was amazed how much he took to it and enjoyed it . One of the best days of my life that I’ll never forget sittin with him and my old man who is 70 , three generations of bear sitting watching the team come out the tunnel against st Mirren 1st game last season , don’t mind telling you I welled up as 4lads reverberated around the stadium and fireworks went off pitchside .

Took my boy aged 5 and was amazed how much he took to it and enjoyed it . One of the best days of my life that I’ll never forget sittin with him and my old man who is 70 , three generations of bear sitting watching the team come out the tunnel against st Mirren 1st game last season , don’t mind telling you I welled up as 4lads reverberated around the stadium and fireworks went off pitchside .
You just can't beat that kind of identification with past, present and future. I bet your old man especially was thinking that.

I’m not saying this is the best age but I took my daughter along at 5.

My youngest daughter who is 2 will probably be 5 as well when I take her.

I took my daughter for the first time to the Blackburn friendly then to the Europa qualifier vs the Danes, she will be 7 in November, and I waited for her to ask.

I had a season ticket with my dad from the age of 4/5. I loved it, but I think I used to do his tits in. Every song that was sung (home or away fans) I’d be asking him what it was and what it meant. Regularly told me to sit and watch the game and not the crowd. Worked out in the long run though!

My Dad took me when I was 9, his Dad took him when he was 9.

Was a good age as I was hooked on football and was desperate to go and was interested in the whole game. I see kids at games nowadays who sit there on their iPad or parents phones as a distraction which is a shame.

I quite often think it’s sad when I hear someone can’t remember their first game. I can and for me that’s a good thing. Will be something I always cherish.

my first game i was 9 think thats a good age you want them to remember it.

We lived in east ham so went to upton park a few times before Ibrox. But will never forget the feeling i had when i first see Ibrox, there is nothing like it just knew the famous was my team.

There is no right or wrong answer. But personally speaking kids under 5 are far too young.

For me its down to whether they can hold proper interest for 90 mins. My dad took me when i was 9. He said he could have taken me earlier but he wanted me to actually have an interest in football and Rangers. Glad he held off as i vividly remember my first game.

My boy's first game he was 7, just over a year ago. He had been asking for a while but i didnt want to dive in right away just like my Dad did. He sat and watched Rangers games with me on the telly and once i could tell he was proper into it i decided it was his time.

We've both been on the season ticket waiting list ever since and try get him along to as many as possible. Just like me, after his first game he got the itch big time.

My auld yen took me when I was 3 to the Sports days and sevens at the start of the season in the 50's. Full games by the age of 5, but always sitting in the Stand.

Loads will disagree with this but I personally think 10/11 years old.

I think it's a much more memorable experience if you have already started to support the Gers and follow week to week rather than say being 3/4 and not knowing anything. That's from my own experience anyway, I was used to seeing our games on tv etc and supporting week to week before I went to my first game. The level of excitement was unreal.

I definitely think some people take their kids for their own sake, rather than the kid's.
You see young kids at Ibrox who have zero interest in the game.
I think it depends how into football they are, but even if they love playing it, most will find it boring to sit through a whole game.
I think around 9/10/11 is probably a good age to start going.

For me it's about the lifelong love. Mine didn't get it at 18 months. I got it at 4 (football) but didn't get Rangers til I was a few years older. On my 7th birthday Rangers won the Cup Winners Cup and while the family were celebrating my mum wasn't because my dad was in jail in Spain and lost his job in Ravenscraig. However, I understood it a couple of years later. Truth is when your kids, grandkids, parents etc see the joy on your face - usually the reflected joy of your own face - I remember the happiness of my grandpa and my dad - they get it. Rangers is a massive family of all ages and I love every single member of it.

I definitely think some people take their kids for their own sake, rather than the kid's.
You see young kids at Ibrox who have zero interest in the game.
I think it depends how into football they are, but even if they love playing it, most will find it boring to sit through a whole game.
I think around 9/10/11 is probably a good age to start going.

I agree but I also think supporting Rangers as a kid is a great thing because it teaches you to belong, and to be a winner, to come back from adversity and to win again.

I think it all depends on the kid too. I never got to Ibrox till I was 7 but I absolutely loved my first time and can tell you everything about that day, despite it being over 20 years ago now.

We took my mates youngest to the game at age 6 and he lost interest quickly.

I was 18 months when my old boy started taking me. Been going ever since.

I took both my girls when they were three. Oldest hated it, youngest loved it!

7 or 70 - it's great to be a Rangers fan. Loads of youngsters get taken to local teams before they "identify". When you meet the Rangers you fall in love. I might have been taken to a game at 4 but was much older before I fell in love. Tried to leave, never can, never will. That's love.

I guess also I was taken at 4 and then at between 7 and 10 uncles were taking me to Fir Park while my dad was getting steaming elsewhere, but your first love will never leave you Our 20th Motherwell BB troupe are in that iconic centenary cup final photo - was a lucky accident we were even there that day but we all fell in love with Glasgow Rangers to a boy - and by golly it was worth it.

Cant believe shes 6 days old and not been to a game yet. Call yourself a Rangers fan?

My daughter will turn 6 next June. She’ll be coming with me to score-season friendly around then. Not too packed, nothing riding on it, see how she goes.

The boy will be taken about the same age.

My daughter will turn 6 next June. She’ll be coming with me to score-season friendly around then. Not too packed, nothing riding on it, see how she goes.

The boy will be taken about the same age.
My daughter is 6 in December and she shows little interest in football. Considered taking her to a pre season game but my concern was most of us find them boring so what chance would a 5 year old have. So gonna wait and maybe take her to a proper game for her first one.

My Gramps started taking me when I was five. Dont remember much in detail now so perhaps a wee bit too young. I took my boy to his first game when he was four v Dundee Utd in Souness's first home league game.

My daughter is 6 in December and she shows little interest in football. Considered taking her to a pre season game but my concern was most of us find them boring so what chance would a 5 year old have. So gonna wait and maybe take her to a proper game for her first one.
Mine is really shy/social anxiety. But she’s mad on Rangers! Always singing ALFREDO, ALFREDO, ALFREDO and shouting no surrender as she goes down the slide. :)) I think she’s ready lol

But because of her fear of crowds I want to try her when its quieter. I could showing her pictures of Ibrox so its kinda familiar on the day.

Back