What's the script with the Aviva Stadium?

crookie_bear

Probably been discussed before, but why is the one end so small , looks completely odd and spoils what would be a really nice stadium. Can't get my head round that design.

Something to do with the local houses behind the stand. Apparently would have blocked sunlight to those houses completely or something like that.

It looks amazing when the camera goes round then Boom! A gazebo lol.

Same as the Mestalla and probably countless other stadiums. its to do with the houses behind it and the path of the sun.

Something to do with the local houses behind the stand. Apparently would have blocked sunlight to those houses completely or something like that.
I thing Motherwell had the same problem with their main stand years ago. They weren't allowed to extend it because of complaints from the locals.

They couldn't have built it the same size as the other three stands due to the houses behind the goals but they could have built it larger than it is. The decision to have it so small and the others so big was so that when they have concerts etc. they can put the stage at the end of the ground and still be able to sell the vast majority of seats rather than have thousands of empty seats behind the stage.

I thing Motherwell had the same problem with their main stand years ago. They weren't allowed to extend it because of complaints from the locals.

Sort of. Motherwell wanted to buy the folk who owned the houses out to complete the main stand but they wouldn't sell up.

We eventually bought the houses but by that time couldn't afford to complete the stand. Ended up selling them again.

IF only GCC were in charge they'd have got teh street for a pound, demolished buildings even if listed and and done whatever the f*** they liked.

Worked for IRAfc

Bet they're glad they never bothered . Would have been a few hundred more empty seats.

Sort of. Motherwell wanted to buy the folk who owned the houses out to complete the main stand but they wouldn't sell up.

We eventually bought the houses but by that time couldn't afford to complete the stand. Ended up selling them again.
I thought Motherwell still owned the houses and they were converted to office space?

Actually thought it was to do with a train line or something like that?

Didnt know it was because of housing

Actually thought it was to do with a train line or something like that?

Didnt know it was because of housing

They built it over the train line, almost on stilts, so that the trains weren't disrupted.

As others have said, that end has a see through roof so as not to block the sun out to the houses.

I think they also turned the pitch 90 degrees as well.

Back