What's your thoughts on Sakala then?

nateman

I think he definitely has something about him. His performance against Motherwell on Sunday, while still lacking in certain areas, looked to be at the right level in terms of the danger he was posing their goal. Still think it's hard to judge how high a level he'll reach with us, but I'd say he's definitely going to be an upgrade on Itten.

Saw enough there on Sunday to make me think he'll be a regular scorer once he settles & gets up and running fully for us. Rough around the edges for me, but looks to be someone who regularly threatens the opponents goal which is exactly what we need.

Movement is a funny thing, players can look busy while achieving little.

Jelavic was a master at doing little but being as effective and efficient as any player I have seen play for us, he would generally watch a game of football happen and impact it when needed rather than chasing much down or using much energy.

Morelos at his best, which he hasn't been this season, can make things happen with his energy, he will force people to make mistakes by getting in their shit.

Sakala has the assets and pace to hurt sides, on Sunday it felt like a lot of it was wasted energy though. It was a bit early Kenny Miller for me, what are you chasing and why, has a habit of making runs that just don't look right

seen enough in the first half - especially with his link up play and pace, coupled with his partnerships with Aribo/Roofe, that we could have a real player there. More importantly, we could have a better front three balance.

Potential that Morelos, as a failry static, target man, number 9, may struggle to fit into a more technical, fast and dynamic front three.

Looked lively, needs to make better decisions around the box... run of games will do him good i think

Lightning fast and he can obviously put the ball in the net. Raw still but he looks to be what we were hoping for with Barker.

What static strikers is that?

As for Sakala, had a great first half and ran out of steam second half. Maybe fitness the issue.
I’m not sure he ran out of steam, our forwards lacked decent service in the second half as our midfield lost their way.

Roofe, in particular, was having to drop deeper and deeper to get a touch of the ball.

From the little involvement he has had, I've noticed that he enjoys being in an offside position all too often. It's there for him to come good. I'm not close to having Sadiq levels of concern but just an annoying train i've noticed, given the pace he has.

Early days, barely seen him play.

I watched a good bit of him when we were first linked and when the pre-contract was agreed. Plenty positives, a few weaknesses and there was a rawness about his game.

We’ve yet to see the best of Sakala but he still looks raw and unsure at times. Off the ball movement and decision making has been average. He did get us up the park on a number of times and he’s probably going to be a player that’s better when given less time to think. Whilst in Belgium one of his weaknesses was time on the ball. Can be pretty wasteful or dispossessed due to trying to be too fancy.

His shooting thus far looks erratic but that can be worked on, as can most of his attributes.

My worry is our system won't suit his game. He seems to have pace in abundance but we crowd the box with very little space to run into. Had that one chance in Sunday but Davis couldn't or didn't see it. Just hope he gets his chance.

Looks enthusiastic, has pace to burn but as someone said very raw. Definitely something there to work with but he’s a long way from being the main man up front. Deserves a chance but will be a bit hot and cold

He’s a player that needs a run in the team, he’s raw and looks like he plays a lot on confidence. If he’s going to be in and out the team I don’t think he’ll be much better than what we previously had, however given game time I think he could be a good asset.

Still quite raw, but willing to run and put in the work to get the ball.

With our coaching he is only going to get better, and in my opinion offers us something different to the stationary Morelos who lurks and waits.

He excites the crowd yes, but imo its only because we want him to try and excite us.
So far I'm disappointed in him.

Feels like a bit of a project player who has the raw materials (particularly pace & directness) but with areas to mature (decision making & composure). If he can pull it together, he could be really excellent.

Been quite encouraged with what I've seen tbf. Slight concern is if he doesnt develop his other areas, he will struggle due to lack of space in behind however he's a lot better than Barker & also think he's got a lot higher ceiling than Itten.

Looks more suited to playing either side of the 3 than centrally as well for me

It's hard to judge based on the little we have seen of him. However, he doesn't look great to me. A bit of pace and always wants to get a shot away, but looks to have pretty poor intelligence and guile. But I will give him more time because he has at least shown a couple of positive attributes.

He has no idea what he’s doing, but he will run around a lot and cause mayhem. That will probably be enough for most sides in this league.

Why?

he’s had next to no pre season. Coming in to new surroundings. Not had a proper run due to injury and bit part cameos
Why?
I'll keep it short mate.

Because a pre season, proper run, injury is not an axcuse for not being able pass a ball 5 yards.

We won't see the best of him until we have a midfield that knows how to play balls in behind the defence for players with real pace (Kent, Wright, Sakala) to run onto.

seen enough in the first half - especially with his link up play and pace, coupled with his partnerships with Aribo/Roofe, that we could have a real player there. More importantly, we could have a better front three balance.

Potential that Morelos, as a failry static, target man, number 9, may struggle to fit into a more technical, fast and dynamic front three.

Morelos isn't static!

We won't see the best of him until we have a midfield that knows how to play balls in behind the defence for players with real pace (Kent, Wright, Sakala) to run onto.
In the vast majority of our games there is no space in behind the opposition defence to run into.

Way too early to judge him. If I had one concern from the small sample size I have it would be his touch looks quite poor at times. But like I say with a limited sample size it doesn’t mean much.

Strong, reasonably fast, powerful shot, with proper coaching he will be a first team regular.

Give him a run of games and watch him develop.

Cool so write off any player that misplaces passes and mark their card for that alone.
I'm not writing him off mate but my initial impression isn't good.
I hope I'm wrong believe me but he's got bit of headless chicken look.
Poster said last night he's bit like Sebo.
He's not wrong.

Back