What's your thoughts on Sakala then?

I think we've been disjointed / unbalanced & have had to play players out of position so far this season
(Obviously caused by injuries, suspensions, covid rules etc. )

Sakala looks to me like he doesn't rigidly stick to a position in normal circumstances & enjoys a 'free role'

Seeing as the rest of our team's been unbalanced - Sakala's style of play - (i.e. all over the place) - increases the headless chicken perception IMO

It's difficult to tell how he'd fit in if we had everyone fit, on form & available
In fact I'm not sure he'd be getting a game at all

Anyway right now we're not getting what we need from him
We have to get the rest of our players to play to his strengths - & he needs to get used to the strengths of his teammates-

But even then - if he does need a free role he could become a luxury we can't afford

I said this weeks ago about him and I was slaughtered for it
Folk have forgotten about SGs comments when he signed
Time to get Defoe on the pitch. How is Juan Alegría getting on?

He’s fast & erratic
That is my impression
He’s not a goal scorer going by his career record so far of around 1 in 3
it’s not terrible, it’s just not prolific and you can see why.

He has only had 3 years of competent coaching in Belgium with improvement shown each year.

I don’t know, I’m just not convinced myself.

We didn’t need another project in the Summer we should have gone for quality over quantity.

I fear he’s going to be a busy fool to be honest. He looks fast but erratic , he lacks composure and I don’t think he’s going to make it. Yes this is harsh and yes he’s just in the door but I just don’t see the signs that we’ve got a proper player here.

Think he needs to be a bit smarter with his runs, but he won us a lot of throw ins from nothing high up and a few corners because the defenders were frightened of his pace and just punted it out whenever he got into a race with them.

Too many times we went over the top or down the side but he had given the defender a 2-3 yard head start so they could muscle him out. He needs to learn to play right on the line of the defenders but staying onside, do that and he will get in behind plenty times.

I'm undecided to be honest, and it's probably a bit harsh to judge the guy when the team as a unit has been so disjointed this season.

I could see a front 3 of Kent, Morelos and Fashion working if we can finally start to function as a team again.

As I said earlier in this thread thought we had a player on our hands after watching Madrid game but since he’s looking like a ohalloran/sibo type pace to burn but nothing much else . hopefully he will prove me wrong though.

What does jamie vardy have to do with it? He's universally known as an anomaly. 99% of players have mastered the basics and are heading towards their peak years at 24.

I hope Sakala comes good, he just looks a long way off it at the moment. I would look to loan him out to get much needed game time.
The point is that if players want to, they can improve beyond the age of 24. Plenty of players do.

He is very raw, i think he has something about him but my worry is he doesnt suit how we play, like big Itten before him.

im not for one minute comparing him, but when we signed O' Halloran he was known for his pace in behind teams, i feel Sakala strength might be the same but we dont play teams who will attack us very often to get the benefit from him.

The whole signing policy this season has left me baffled

You could put Lewandoski up front for us and he wouldn’t look nearly as good. Our fullbacks not doing what they usually do is a worry, but the biggest issue we have is the lack of creativity in that midfield. Even last year you had Morelos having to drop deep to get the ball.

Someone running down their contract doesn't make them a poor player fs.
I’m talking about the level he has come from he’s not gonna be a great player and is showing that in his performances he must have been offside at least 15 times last night zero composure he’s just not very good

Let’s be honest, the “very raw but can be coached” reviews tell the story. You can generally spot if a player will make it within the first 4/5 games.

Yeah, go back decades you can probably pick a few that started badly then smashed it, but the reality is most will just fade away if they have a poor start.

Positives
- He's fast and enthusiastic

Negatives
- He's a poor technical footballer
- He seems to just hit and hope
- His awareness of what's going on around him is shocking
- I don't think he knows what the offside rule is

I’m sorry but, pace aside, I’m seeing nothing to suggest he’s got anything to offer. He looks a wee bit dangerous in games like last night when he gets space to run into but there’s still no end product.

1 shot on goal, 0 chances created, 2/4 dribbles succeeded, 64% pass completion, 0 tackles, blocks attempted, dispossessed on 4 occasions, 45 touches in all.

Surprisingly he won 5/5 headers.

Let’s be honest, the “very raw but can be coached” reviews tell the story. You can generally spot if a player will make it within the first 4/5 games.

Yeah, go back decades you can probably pick a few that started badly then smashed it, but the reality is most will just fade away if they have a poor start.

Well everyone on here had written Lundstram off...

1 shot on goal, 0 chances created, 2/4 dribbles succeeded, 64% pass completion, 0 tackles, blocks attempted, dispossessed on 4 occasions, 45 touches in all.

Surprisingly he won 5/5 headers.

What about the stats for the other attackers last night?

Positives
- He's fast and enthusiastic

Negatives
- He's a poor technical footballer
- He seems to just hit and hope
- His awareness of what's going on around him is shocking
- I don't think he knows what the offside rule is
I think you are being harsh.

He doesn’t look like an academy player that much is clear his lack of awareness is obvious, but want I do really like is he is one of our few players with the pace to genuinely hurt teams. Once he knows us and we know him and he’s coached for a bit I really do see a player there.

It seems everything is negative for some people just now instead of being rational

Not convinced by him yet but it's early days so I'll refrain from writing him off at this stage.

Just not sure he possesses any real qualities that benefits our style of football or indeed the majority of games we play in when 10 men are usually camped behind the ball. Perhaps SG signed him on the basis of utilising him in games like last night where teams will come out.

Looks a little too erratic and lacks composure from what I've seen so far.

Well everyone on here had written Lundstram off...

What about the stats for the other attackers last night?

Roofe - 0 shots, 0 chances created, 29 touches, 1/1 dribble succeeded, 68% pass completion, 1 cross.

Aribo - 1 shot, 1 chance created, 54 touches, 2/4 dribbles succeeded, 79% pass completion, 0 crosses attempted.

Hagi - 1 shot, 0 chances created, 0 crosses, 26 touches, 0 dribbles attempted, 80% pass completion.

Morelos - 0 shots, 0 crosses, 1 chance created, 0 dribbles attempted, 13 touches, 89% pass completion.

Can’t be bothered jotting down Davis or Kamara because the above stats and our performances in general was dog shit.

The whole team looks washed out and it’s still only September
I can't believe how raw he is was expecting a more better calibre of player especially after reading up about him and many of the reviews on him.

Sakala has pace and a direct style of play but he needs to do more.
on his evidence so far is he much of an upgrade on Brandon Barker? BB is somebody with undoubted pace but offers little else

Back