When a team is guilty of persistent time wasting.

It happens in almost every game we play. It's very rarely punished with bookings.

Also, players stealing yards at throw-ins and free kicks, happens all the time against us. Very rarely punished.

I counted 10 steps on one occasion. It seems its allowed but there is a way to stop it. The first few throw ins we get in games we should keep walking with the ball till the ref stops us and makes us go back. That sets the tone and makes it harder for the opposition. If they continue to get away with it we just keep doing it as well.

I would trial a timekeeper ref or even two halfs of 35 mins where the clock is stopped when not moving on the pitch.

i must have been watching a different game. the level of time wasting in some of the games we have to endure is shocking but i didn't notice that tonight in that match as being anything out of the ordinary .
believe me i'd be the first on to moan about it .stealing yards at throw ins ,thats another matter .what was the ref watching at times

The same at Hamilton a few games ago. They waste time till we score in 81 mins, then they benefitted from the injury time added to score the equaliser in the 94th min.

This situation has happened to various teams a through the years and is probably my biggest hate in football.

What annoys me, is these wee teams start time wasting (when the score is favourable to them) from as early as half time sometimes! It goes mostly un-noticed, never mind punished.. the keeper gets a few warnings, referee points to his watch a few times as if to say “I’m just adding it on”. Sometimes the opposition can be at it for almost 45 minutes before the ref even thinks about booking a player for it.

Then when we score a late goal, as was seen tonight, the first time any of our players are seen to even be attempting to time waste (more often or not it’s McGregor), it isn’t ignored, it isn’t pointing at the watch, there are no warnings, it’s a booking, first time.

Livi were time wasting through out the second half for 42 mins tonight, their keeper was booked after 36 minutes of it. Rangers took the lead and held it for the last 7 minutes, McGregor was booked 3 minutes after we went 1 up.

It really winds me up.

It happens in almost every game we play. It's very rarely punished with bookings.

Also, players stealing yards at throw-ins and free kicks, happens all the time against us. Very rarely punished.

These things do my head in. Include on the list, defenders falling over at the first hint of contact from a pressing player and fake head knocks from corners/free kicks.

And they lose a late goal.
They shouldn't be rewarded for it.

If Beaton plays 2 minutes injury time, what could Livingston's argument possibly be?

"Haud oan ref, 2 minutes, FFS! We've been wasting time all night."

An absolute joke of ruling.

I've always thought this, should go on what team actually wants the extra time.

If the guilty team needs it then 90 minutes on the dot.

And they lose a late goal.
They shouldn't be rewarded for it.

If Beaton plays 2 minutes injury time, what could Livingston's argument possibly be?

"Haud oan ref, 2 minutes, FFS! We've been wasting time all night."

An absolute joke of ruling.
The coward booked MacGregor for time wasting after we scored. They’d been wasting time for 87 mins ffs and he only booked theit goalie well into second half

I've been thinking that for years. 4th official could easily take a note of which team was time wasting and mark it accordingly. Add that to the usual injury and stoppages which would be neutral.

In the early days of Warburton when we were taking 5 off most teams, it was suggested on here that fans should start counting when the opposition goalie starts time wasting.

Obviously, no fans to do that now, but surely a better option than the "oooooooo, you fat bastard" chant

I would trial a timekeeper ref or even two halfs of 35 mins where the clock is stopped when not moving on the pitch.
This is the only way to get round time wasting as all referees seem to allow it and although a lot of teams in Scotland do it, it's a world wide problem.
The ball goes out of play, timekeeper stops the clock, player down injured, stop the clock and the problem goes away.

It works in rugby although the ref puts clock on and off, I would take timekeeping out of their hands.

I counted 10 steps on one occasion. It seems its allowed but there is a way to stop it. The first few throw ins we get in games we should keep walking with the ball till the ref stops us and makes us go back. That sets the tone and makes it harder for the opposition. If they continue to get away with it we just keep doing it as well.

We done that in a game, stole yards and were sent back, next throw to the opposition, they stole yards and f all happened.

This is the only way to get round time wasting as all referees seem to allow it and although a lot of teams in Scotland do it, it's a world wide problem.
The ball goes out of play, timekeeper stops the clock, player down injured, stop the clock and the problem goes away.

It works in rugby although the ref puts clock on and off, I would take timekeeping out of their hands.

It's not just about time wasting though, it's about breaking our rhythm, stopping the clock doesnt deal with that.

What annoys me, is these wee teams start time wasting (when the score is favourable to them) from as early as half time sometimes! It goes mostly un-noticed, never mind punished.. the keeper gets a few warnings, referee points to his watch a few times as if to say “I’m just adding it on”. Sometimes the opposition can be at it for almost 45 minutes before the ref even thinks about booking a player for it.

Then when we score a late goal, as was seen tonight, the first time any of our players are seen to even be attempting to time waste (more often or not it’s McGregor), it isn’t ignored, it isn’t pointing at the watch, there are no warnings, it’s a booking, first time.

Livi were time wasting through out the second half for 42 mins tonight, their keeper was booked after 36 minutes of it. Rangers took the lead and held it for the last 7 minutes, McGregor was booked 3 minutes after we went 1 up.

It really winds me up.
I posted in another thread about small things I don't think football refs manage well - this is without a doubt one of them.

Clock should be stopped for injuries subs, or for referee talkings too/bookings, or for prolonged time wasting (and booked)

From there, the clock should just be 45 and done. Think how its done in Hockey or to an extent rugby

It's infuriating mate and it's a constant problem.

We'd end up with a booking if we tried it

It's infuriating mate and it's a constant problem.

We'd end up with a booking if we tried it

I dont think we'd get booked. The ref would simply gesture for us to go back a bit and we'd comply. If the opposition continue to do it then we do too. The ref would soon catch on to what's going on.

Time isn’t an advantage, it’s a fact. If one team time wastes, then the ref should add on the appropriate amount of time, regardless of late goals or anything else.

Back