When did we stop the scum from having the West Enclosure

Chocco

As posted in the Anton thread my first game against them was April 1990 and I was in the West Enclosure but I remember they used to get this area , what was their last game against us where their vermin was in here and what year ?

Think it was shortly before that. Previously the away team used to get roughly up to the 18 yard line so we used to get part of the jungle and part of the main stand at the piggery and they got part of the main stand, enclosure and centenary stand.
This continued after Ibrox was redeveloped but with slight tweaks to accommodate segregation requirements.
Once the piggery was redeveloped (or shortly after) it seemed to change to the behind the goal only for away fans.
They then got increasingly snide with our allocation pushing resulting in the new allocation of a few hundred stuck in a corner.

Edit: Think I'm out by a few years here - looking back it seems that we made the change round about the start of the Souness era. Old memory not as sharp as it was.

Last edited:
Demand from our supporters coupled with Souness being smart enough to try and reduce their advantage.

January 1989 was the last time they were in the West Enclosure. EDIT - they were horsed 4-1 as a farewell present.

That was before my time, I didn't even know they got the West Enclosure. Was this in addition to the Broomloan I presume?

That was before my time, I didn't even know they got the West Enclosure. Was this in addition to the Broomloan I presume?

As well as this, they also got, part of the Main Stand and a couple of sections in the Govan too.

Crazy thinking back.

Although there was segregation it was not strict like we have today.
For instance there would be some mixing of fans under the cover across from the main stand.
Same in the North Enclosure at Hampden.
Dont remember too many problems in these areas as the crazies would be behind the goals in their "end"!

Used to get Broomloan, West Enclosure and part of the Main Stand once Ibrox had been redeveloped until 1988/89 season, also on a couple of occasions got a section of the Govan

Before that it was the old Broomloan terracing , part of the Centenary Stand/previous standing area - did they get part of the Main Stand and West Enclosure as well?

Last edited:
aww the good old days believe it or not they had abit of the govan and we had a third of their mainstand.

Was the stadium capacity higher in those days? Take it season tickets weren't the way the majority of fans attended.

Scum were in the West Enclosure for the reserve game in January 1994 where Big Dunc scored

Reactions: o7o
Although there was segregation it was not strict like we have today.
For instance there would be some mixing of fans under the cover across from the main stand.
Same in the North Enclosure at Hampden.
Dont remember too many problems in these areas as the crazies would be behind the goals in their "end"!

Seen an old cine-film of a win at the Piggery in the 60s. Filmed from a fan-perspective in their main stand. Won 4-2, but just as many celebrating our goals as theirs in the film.

Also, theres a video of McCoist scoring there in the late 80s where we have a third of their main stand (which obviously erupts) but there are still bears in amongst the hordes with colours on and no-one around them is really batting an eye-lid.

Crazy to think that happened.

They also had the Govan and broomloan stands for a cup game in the 90’s where my profile was sent of for a stupid foul and Hateley scored the winner in a 1-0 win if I can remember correctly. We had to be moved into the Copland that night and it was vile to see them having half the stadium

Was the stadium capacity higher in those days? Take it season tickets weren't the way the majority of fans attended.

Prior to 1981 League gates like cup games are still today were shared so season tickets were very limited in sales hence why there was a split in ticket allocations at each ground had to buy tickets at the time I think some games you could pay at the gates v them?

Stadium Capacity were higher in those days as well prior to Ibrox been redeveloped from 1978 onwards it was 65k I think was lot higher ofcourse

Safety of Sports Grounds Act 1975 more regulated stadium capacity before that I think ground capacity was more relaxed

Last edited:
They also had the Govan and broomloan stands for a cup game in the 90’s where my profile was sent of for a stupid foul and Hateley scored the winner in a 1-0 win if I can remember correctly. We had to be moved into the Copland that night and it was vile to see them having half the stadium

League Cup Semi-final 1993/94 - Ibrox was neutral venue that night due to 1st Hampden redevelopment , venue was won on toss of the coin

Demand from our supporters coupled with Souness being smart enough to try and reduce their advantage.

January 1989 was the last time they were in the West Enclosure. EDIT - they were horsed 4-1 as a farewell present.
Were they not in the WE when Johnston scored circa Nov 1989?

I was in the main stand at the segregated part in 1987 for the 2 - 2 game with the sending offs, they had maybe a quarter if my memory correct. Nightmare at 2 down being as close but great when Gough equalised in the last minute

Might be right might be wrong but I swear that lot were in the west enclosure for the 2-2 game when we came back to draw with 9 men. But then again.
Maybe my memory is pickled!!!!!!!!

My first couple of old firm games at the piggery were in the old Jungle. It was largely consider as an unofficial parent and child section up to about the 18 yard line and with little in terms of actual segregation. No signs of any trouble but, from memory, it was recommended that you avoided the toilets which I believe were shared and may have been the area where trouble was most likely.

As posted in the Anton thread my first game against them was April 1990 and I was in the West Enclosure but I remember they used to get this area , what was their last game against us where their vermin was in here and what year ?

The last game they had it was our 4-1 win over them in Jan 89

I can remember getting the main stand, but not the jungle. Maybe before my time...

Didn’t Rangers used to get the Janefield/London Rd end; a portion of their Main Stand and even a part of their Jungle at one point?

Last edited:
League Cup Semi-final 1993/94 - Ibrox was neutral venue that night due to 1st Hampden redevelopment , venue was won on toss of the coin
Walter and Joe Jordan (assistant manager) were in attendance for the coin toss, Jordan called it correctly for the game to be played at the bheastdome, Walter insisted that toss was to see who got to call, Jordan wilted and Walter won the next call. Ibrox it was. :))

I always thought they stopped it first?
Not so, at the end of the 88/89 season, SDM sliced their allocation to just the Broomie and cited increased demand for season tickets - he may also have been inspired by a slight lowering of Ibrox’s capacity in the standing enclosures following the Hillsborough disaster.

Scum followed suit and axed our allocation of briefs for what was their only stand at the time.

Not so, at the end of the 88/89 season, SDM sliced their allocation to just the Broomie and cited increased demand for season tickets - he may also have been inspired by a slight lowering of Ibrox’s capacity in the standing enclosures following the Hillsborough disaster.

Scum followed suit and axed our allocation of briefs for what was their only stand at the time.

Fair enough.

Thing is, we still did ok at that time, tickets wise. Our end at their cowp held about 18k did it not?

As well as this, they also got, part of the Main Stand and a couple of sections in the Govan too.

Crazy thinking back.
I was in the Main Stand one game against them and was actually pissing in the same trough as them at half time.Truly bizarre.

aww the good old days believe it or not they had abit of the govan and we had a third of their mainstand.
I’m 54 and can’t remember ever getting 1/3 of the main stand we probably got a 1/6 of the main stand if we were lucky

I’m 54 and can’t remember ever getting 1/3 of the main stand we probably got a 1/6 of the main stand if we were lucky
My recollection, and I'm of a similar age (slightly older in fact), is that we got up to the passageway closest to the 18 yard line which, as you suggest, is probably closer to 1/6 as opposed to 1/3.
Don't recall ever getting much more than that - although we may have got more prior to that.

Think it was shortly before that. Previously the away team used to get roughly up to the 18 yard line so we used to get part of the jungle and part of the main stand at the piggery and they got part of the main stand, enclosure and centenary stand.
This continued after Ibrox was redeveloped but with slight tweaks to accommodate segregation requirements.
Once the piggery was redeveloped (or shortly after) it seemed to change to the behind the goal only for away fans.
They then got increasingly snide with our allocation pushing resulting in the new allocation of a few hundred stuck in a corner.

Edit: Think I'm out by a few years here - looking back it seems that we made the change round about the start of the Souness era. Old memory not as sharp as it was.

I remember being in the main stand at the piggery so we must have been in the nearer the 2000’s

My recollection, and I'm of a similar age (slightly older in fact), is that we got up to the passageway closest to the 18 yard line which, as you suggest, is probably closer to 1/6 as opposed to 1/3.
Don't recall ever getting much more than that - although we may have got more prior to that.

have only ever been in that stand once against them , 2-0 New Year’s Day game when woods got done by their diddy of a centre half Baillie
Terrible place with very little segregation in the stand concourse - not a good place to be when you’re there with your elderly father

How we never got a pen when durrant got fouled beggars belief

Fair enough.

Thing is, we still did ok at that time, tickets wise. Our end at their cowp held about 18k did it not?
Yes, although post-Hillsborough they’d have cut capacity of the Rangers end at Parkhead by something upto 15% we were still getting twice the number of tickets that we gave them

I think they got about 25.000 when they came to Ibrox we got 19.000 at the piggery not 100% sure on this but remember hearing these figures

I think they got about 25.000 when they came to Ibrox we got 19.000 at the piggery not 100% sure on this but remember hearing these figures
We got 23 thousand in seventies at the Rangers end plus about 2 thousand in the stand.
We also had about a quarter of the jungle until the mid seventies.
The jungle was the 1st area to go followed by the main stand.
When capacities were reduced in the 80's the Rangers end was under 20 thousand.

Despite the lies pushed by the press, Celtic cut our capacity first. It took our board years to finally put things right thanks to Papasmurf on here.

The west Enclosure in the early/mid 70s was very much mixed. Don’t remember there being much trouble tbh.

That’s brilliant if true...

Walter and Joe Jordan (assistant manager) were in attendance for the coin toss, Jordan called it correctly for the game to be played at the bheastdome, Walter insisted that toss was to see who got to call, Jordan wilted and Walter won the next call. Ibrox it was. :))

It will be no surprise to younger Bears that Celtic kicked up an enormous stink about the coin toss. I think it was after the 1/4 final against Aberdeen(?) and the draw and coin toss were live on the radio.

Hampden still being rebuilt and so could not be used — the final held at the Piggery.

Back