When it wasn't easy finding out results

Not so much a results thing but remember when you were on holiday with the lads in spain and your only source of summer transfer speculation was a two day old Daily Record!?!

Only time I can remember for me it being difficult finding a result was when away with the school in December 2002. Never had mobile phones with internet etc on it. We where in Germany and I had to phone my gran from the hotel pay phone to check what the Rangers result was. She was trying to ask how the trip was, was a having fun, was I eating well etc and there was about 4 of us round the phone shouting what was the Rangers score.

Being at the game waiting for the half time scores to go up. then the guy with the wheelbarrow would come out and put up A 1-0 B 0-0 C 2-1 D 1-1 and so on, then having to look at the back of the programme or find someone with one to find out what letters the scum came under. Oh the good old days.

Technology has come so far so quickly. I remember still checking Teletext in a match Federico Nieto scored in.

Also when Novo signed I didn't find out until I was back from my holiday.

Nowadays you know almost instantly.

As much as we are spoiled these days with TV coverage, there is something I miss about those days also.

It couldn't just have been me that used to scream "c'mon" when for example during a home mentally challengeds game you would here those awaited words "there's been a goal at Ibrox"!

I remember being out playing as a kid and hearing a roar from a house during an OF. We went and chapped the door asking the score. Kids these days with their fancy interweb.

Slightly off topic, but during the NIAR run-in (I'm sure it was the year of 9 but might be wrong). We were playing on the Sunday, and the mentally challengeds were playing on the saturday.
My Dad and I went to the pictures, l was only about 14.
As we were leaving the cinema hall, a guy revealed that St. Johnstone had beat the tims, and there were a fair few mighty roars as we all left the hall.
This was about 7pm and we didn't even anticipate them losing to St Johnstone, so hadn't crossed our minds to search for the score.
Was even sweeter seeing the fellow Bears around us in our glory!
Odeon Loyal!

Growing up in Oz in the 80’s had to ring a results hotline the next day.

Any match reports were in a publication called British Soccer Week 5 days later.

Was murder.

Spooky OP. Flew back from Rhodes in the early hours this morning. Was just thinking about this very thing. Flew home during a game against the poets in the early nineties. Can’t recall which One. Pilot announced we had won. Cue cheers

Younger fans will never have had this struggle, but what are your memories of finding out a score?

We never had teletext on our telly and it was obviously before the internet. The anticipation of waiting on a result on the tv news/radio was brutal at times!

I suppose my main memory of it could still be the case today as it was on a flight home from gran canaria. We were playing the tims and I was having palpatations waiting on the score only for the pilot to announce we won 3-1 que a big roar on the plane! :))

Pilot obviously a good guy!

It was the game albertz scored a rasper into the bottom corner and erik bo scored a double!
I can remember when certain races weren't covered on T. V I used to go to Ceefax/ Oracle and watch it, you'd see things like ,going down,at the post,then the race would start and we watched for the result coming in. Funny,lol.

Being out with the family and asking them to stand outside the curry’s window to watch the vidiprinter for 5 mins.

Simpler times :)

We played Swansea in a testimonial for either Tam Forsyth or Colin Jackson in around 83 or 84. Couldn't get to the game or get the score anywhere so actually phoned Ibrox to find out we had won 6-3

Guy at Ibrox must have thought I was insane

You would go on holiday have to wait for one or two day old newspapers to find out the result. It would be at least Monday before you found out Saturdays score

Younger fans will never have had this struggle, but what are your memories of finding out a score?

We never had teletext on our telly and it was obviously before the internet. The anticipation of waiting on a result on the tv news/radio was brutal at times!

I suppose my main memory of it could still be the case today as it was on a flight home from gran canaria. We were playing the tims and I was having palpatations waiting on the score only for the pilot to announce we won 3-1 que a big roar on the plane! :))

It was the game albertz scored a rasper into the bottom corner and erik bo scored a double!
Was pulling a caravan to Ullapool and stopped near muir of ord at a wee shop, young lad coming so I asked , you got football scores son? Rangers won,was his only reply as he walked on.

Growing up in Oz, the early 70's we had to wait for Monday's papers I'm guessing around the mid 70's there was the Sunday morning phone results, my memories of the phone results were that it was on a loop, if you missed the Scottish 1st div you had to listen to all 4 English div results until it got around to the Gers results.

Because it was so you could follow the pools, there was about a 2 second interval between results and they used to use the full pronunciation e.g.: Hamilton Accademicals 2 Heart Of Midlothian 1 etc, if you were waiting on an Old Firm result it was F'n murder

Story from an old rangers video, celtic playing us at Ibrox in the 1960s, guy phones the stadium number from the far side of the world. Whats the score he asks, reply was 2-1 phone down.
He found out later it was the gers won.

Watching Helicopter Sunday in Memories in Partick & it took me until 9pm that night to find out that Motherwell had scored 2 against the Scum.

Very cool story :cool::cool:

1967: Me and the old man watching the teleprinter on BBC. Rangers result taking an eternity to come through.

Then David Coleman said "The big shock is Rangers going out of the Cup on English soil."

Early 60's 63ish in Toronto.
On a Sunday night the parking lot of a wee row of shops on Weston Road would be full of ex pats waiting for the Sunday Papers to be dropped off at the variety store. Why that specific shop? Allen's Scottish Butcher was there along with Baird's Scottish Bakery. Someone who worked for Air Canada managed to have a stack of the Sunday Post + Mail flown on the Sunday Glasgow to Toronto Flight.. Outside of my granny mailing a rolled up bundle of papers thats how I got my Rangers News as a wee boy.
Allen's is still there. Now I'm hungry.. Ach

Back