When King asked us to boycott?

Lost my debenture seats due to Head Spiv Murray and boycotted Ibrox for that season of action. Stood outside the main door protesting most games and could have cried at the sight of others going to see our team. Rushed over to Ibrox on VS Day (Victory against Spivs) and managed to get me and the lad decent seats in the SJR near good mates, so worked out well in the end.

I gave up the seat I loved in the govan front that I'd had since 1995. Was a sad day but had to be done.
I'm in the west enclosure now and not too far out wide, so I'm fairly happy with where I am. Would love my original seat back though so I can see why some people were reluctant to boycott.

Gave up my seat in Main Stand Front which I had for 15 years,attended some games buying a ticket here and there.

Got a new ST when Dave King came in,actually prefer my new one in CD4 right on the half way line.

My mate and me both gave up ours in Govan rear, never got mine back and he decided not to bother getting one at all at the time, ended up in Copland rear in good seat but preferred old one , still I wouldn’t do anything different.

Lost my debenture seats due to Head Spiv Murray and boycotted Ibrox for that season of action. Stood outside the main door protesting most games and could have cried at the sight of others going to see our team. Rushed over to Ibrox on VS Day (Victory against Spivs) and managed to get me and the lad decent seats in the SJR near good mates, so worked out well in the end.
Same as you m8 lost my debenture seats. boycotted buying season ticket for that season.now lucky to be where I am

My mate gave up his in the East Enclosure where we used to sit and didn’t get his original seat back but sits not far from it.

Some folk seemed to get their old seats back no problem and there seems to have been a bit of luck involved.

I gave up my season book with a heavy heart after having one from 2000 (10years old), I then got a new season ticket when King took over. It was worth it in my opinion to save our club. And although times nay be hard at the moment I am adament we will experience the good times soon. And fûck me 55 is going to be a party like has never been seen before in my lifetime.

I can see you mate.....

So you never mentioned the UB or safe standing?
I did mention them aye but for the sole reason to state that this is the reason I was thinking about the boycott and for the reason as to state that this thread wasn’t to start an arguement about then. There is a 300+ thread that is having that arguement (which I have stayed clear of).

I sat in SE4 with my mate and had been in the EE since 1991, I gave mine up but he didn't and I don't regret it at all.

To this day I've never asked him why he renewed because everyone had a personal decision to make.

I now sit in GR7 and although I missed the people around me at first, some of them I still keep in contact with, I now have good company where I am.

When Dave King asked us to boycott our season tickets why did people keep their seats?

I am seeing alot of people saying ‘i have sat here for 15 years’ etc etc. Is it the case they did give up their seats and paid game by game and then got their seats back when King took over? Or did these people just decide not to give up their seat hoping we would still have a club to support anyway? Selfishness of the highest order if the latter is the case.

It has just been with the UB safe standing thing I see this excuse not to move alot even though if these people had the clubs best interests at heart they would have starved the club of money like was asked.

Not looking for another UB arguement here. Genuinely curious as to why people wouldn’t have given up their seats short term to finally rid the club of the SPIVS.
Well this blows a lot of statements right out the water

Didn't renew my seat I'd had since 1987 or my son's which was the seat next to mine and had had for about 15 years. I'd already stopped buying anything on matchday, as I could see the way the spivs were sucking money out the club. My mate gave up the seat he'd had beside his old school pals for the same time. When the spivs got kicked out me and my mate got seats together in CR1 just along from my oldCR2 seat.

I have clearly stated I am not wanting that arguement on this thread. If I wanted to have the arguement I would go into the numerous other UB threads and state my opinion.
Thought that would be your reply tbh. Just stir the sh*te and not give an opinion.

Renewed mine but was in two minds right up until the end and decided to go for the 4 month instalments instead of paying upfront

Last edited:
I renewed but I think I can explain why (without looking it up). I thought what Dave King said was "pay game by game in case your money isn't safe - or words to that effect. My decision was that in the terrible event of another catastrophic financial event this would be the least of my worries. With hindsight probably misguided but I didn't have the benefit of reading forums etc. which were much better informed than myself.

Surely people who say I've sat in this seat for x amount of years have to realise that no one at Ibrox is guaranteed their seat the following season
I think the club holds the right to change your seat if required to do so
you would be offered an alternative seat and its up to you whether you except it or decline it

I do think the UB should be housed in the Copland front (CENTRAL) as this is our home support end
to do this I think it would have to install safe standing as UB don't sit down during the game which would mean the rest of the Copland would end up standing

Last I would added to this is it should be a one price season ticket to a standing area or all stands and your not allocated a space to sit or stand it would be on a first come basis

When Dave King asked us to boycott our season tickets why did people keep their seats?

I am seeing alot of people saying ‘i have sat here for 15 years’ etc etc. Is it the case they did give up their seats and paid game by game and then got their seats back when King took over? Or did these people just decide not to give up their seat hoping we would still have a club to support anyway? Selfishness of the highest order if the latter is the case.

It has just been with the UB safe standing thing I see this excuse not to move alot even though if these people had the clubs best interests at heart they would have starved the club of money like was asked.

Not looking for another UB arguement here. Genuinely curious as to why people wouldn’t have given up their seats short term to finally rid the club of the SPIVS.
I gave up mine after 22 years in the same seat. Went to all our home games all over the stadium. Went in to the ticket office after the Agm to put my name on the waiting list and ended up with a better seat.

I genuinely agonised over it along with other family members. My worry was that if not enough season tickets were sold we would not have the operating capital to keep the club afloat. We all knew the club was in the hand sof very disreputable people but many of us were very fearful that those same people could endo the life of the club if they wanted to. It was like paying kidnappers not to shoot their hostage. Who knows what would have happened if King and the 3 Bears had not outwitted Ashley and his henchmen.

I lost my seat in the Copland Rear, now quite happy in the West Enclosure for the last couple of years.

I renewed, I didn't trust Dave King or the Spivs but the Spivs were the ones in charge and I had horrible feeling that if it was a stadium wide boycott then the funds needed to pay the staff, players etc. wouldn't be there and the spivs would look to put us in admin and sell of key assests like the stadium etc. The thought of going through another admin scenario made me boak and I didn't want to do anything that could damage the club.

Another reason I didn't boycott was the genuine abuse people where dishing out to fans who were considering renewing, put me right off certain people within our support.

I’m grateful to everyone who gave up their seats to help force the spivs out.

I’d imagine a lot of people got them back post-boycott because no one had bought that seat in the interim

We kept our season tickets going. Didn’t know who to trust at this point.
Came to the conclusion that if everyone boycotted then Ashley would have been able to get his hands on everything as there would have been no money coming in and his lackeys on the board would have came up with a plan to sell the club to him for buttons. Just look at the merchandise deal.
In the end I think the 25,000 or so who kept their tickets going was just enough to keep keep the lights on and Ashley at bay.
The boycott also worked as we ended up with King and co buying up shares.
People have different opinions on this and I won’t be arguing with anyone about it. I respect both sides on this one.

I gave mine up but when I went back it was the guy behind who was on my seat and it was like the domino effect so am one seat in front so I just say I’ve sat here for 20 odd years

I boycotted and during my absence some guy thought it great to obtain my two seats.

I moved when boycott stopped
No big deal

I didnt go to a single game in 2014-15 prior to king and the new board coming in having not renewed at the end of 2013-14. I didnt want to give that rancid board a single penny with the hope they'd leave. Bought a season ticket as soon as the new board was in place.

Prior to boycotting, i was gf2, season ticket for the end of 14/15 season was in the east enclosure, then offered a move back to my old seat. I declined and paid more money for a better view on the halfway line in gf4.

Quite the opposite of selfish. If the boycott hadnt happened, we'd still have the old board, and ashley probably owning the stadium On a lease back, renamed to the sports direct park or the like.

That could be the case. That is why the question is asked. Did you read the OP? A genuine question was asked, not pin pointing the finger at people. Seems like you are the one starting a conspiracy.

"Or did these people just decide not to give up their seat hoping we would still have a club to support anyway? Selfishness of the highest order if the latter is the case"

Finger pointing.

I kept mine during the boycott.We were still getting crowds of over 20000 so I doubt I was alone.I wasn't happy with who was running the club and I wasn't happy with the manager either but I still went.
Know something else,I wasn't happy with David Murray and the way his companies were involved in every aspect of our club and we were paying for the privilege but I went then too.
It's either staunch or stupid but I simply cannot miss a Rangers game at Ibrox.

disclaimer..I sometimes have to miss them if i am working but you get the point.

"Or did these people just decide not to give up their seat hoping we would still have a club to support anyway? Selfishness of the highest order if the latter is the case"

Finger pointing.
Yes because people who refused to give up their tickets knowing fine well what is going on were selfish. I would go as far as to say they where part of the problem. Sit down, pay money and go home. Don’t question anything or anyone. The reason we got into the mess we found ourselves in.

We kept our season tickets going. Didn’t know who to trust at this point.
Came to the conclusion that if everyone boycotted then Ashley would have been able to get his hands on everything as there would have been no money coming in and his lackeys on the board would have came up with a plan to sell the club to him for buttons. Just look at the merchandise deal.
In the end I think the 25,000 or so who kept their tickets going was just enough to keep keep the lights on and Ashley at bay.
The boycott also worked as we ended up with King and co buying up shares.
People have different opinions on this and I won’t be arguing with anyone about it. I respect both sides on this one.

Agreed, I shudder to think what would have happened if there was 0 funds coming in and admin was forced upon us.

For over 2 decades i went to Ibrox maybe 2 or 3 time a season Rangers were my team but I considered myself more of a sympathiser than supporter,When the club was in the midst of its troubles and they were phukd down to the depths of the Scottish game I made my mind up I was getting a season ticket and have had it since,I don't feel guilty the reason being if I had jacked it in and started buying game to game it would have resulted in me slipping back into my old ways of a couple a season if that,Going to games is habit forming staying away and finding something else to do is also habit forming,Very few of the guys I used to go to games with in the 70s/80s ever go to games now they just got out the habit.

Myself, my dad and uncle gave ours up.

It was a horrible thing to have to do, but at the time we thought it was the right thing to do.

We still travelled to all the away games to support the team, but we lost our seats.

In the end it's worked out well for us because the seats we got after the boycott in MRQ are good seats and the lads around us are all good supporters and pretty knowledgeable.

3 of us gave up great seats and haven’t been happy since. We also purchased shares in the IPO which I’m guessing went straight into the Spivs pockets. Not best pleased as I’ve had my ST since the seventies and my new seat is crap.

Myself, my dad and uncle gave ours up.

It was a horrible thing to have to do, but at the time we thought it was the right thing to do.

We still travelled to all the away games to support the team, but we lost our seats.

In the end it's worked out well for us because the seats we got after the boycott in MRQ are good seats and the lads around us are all good supporters and pretty knowledgeable.

As you know my family gave them up too, unfortunately they ended up just not going back. Filled their time with other commitments like work. A fucking shame. I'll never forgive the people that done what they did to our Club, making people make decisions like that.

I was kind of half and half.

I initially boycotted for a number of games but then bought mine as I felt the spivs were going to drain every penny out the club then discard the carcass so decided that I'd prefer to help keep the club going for as long as possible until something could be done. I did come off the CCCS and didn't do the extra games as I've always done before and since.

At the end of the day, no one knows if a full boycott would've worked or if club woulda went into admin or something before king and three bears could get in. Equally no one knows if no boycott would've meant Ashley and easdales still here.

The only thing we do know is that what we did worked and that's all that matters.

I just genuinely wasn't sure the boycott wouldn't have been disastrous. I'm glad it all worked out ok.

I was kind of half and half.

I initially boycotted for a number of games but then bought mine as I felt the spivs were going to drain every penny out the club then discard the carcass so decided that I'd prefer to help keep the club going for as long as possible until something could be done. I did come off the CCCS and didn't do the extra games as I've always done before and since.

At the end of the day, no one knows if a full boycott would've worked or if club woulda went into admin or something before king and three bears could get in. Equally no one knows if no boycott would've meant Ashley and easdales still here.

The only thing we do know is that what we did worked and that's all that matters.

I just genuinely wasn't sure the boycott wouldn't have been disastrous. I'm glad it all worked out ok.

I don't dislike anyone who didn't boycott or anyone who did. No-one knew, the only fact was everyone knew what was going on and the support felt utterly helpless. Really dark times.

What does stick in the throat regarding boycotts is the people who attended Tannadice that day.

I don't dislike anyone who didn't boycott or anyone who did. No-one knew, the only fact was everyone knew what was going on and the support felt utterly helpless. Really dark times.

What does stick in the throat regarding boycotts is the people who attended Tannadice that day.

Absolutely agree on all points. I gave up all away games cos of how they clubs treated us.

I hated missing the games I did miss but just saw things getting worse and decided to go back to it as I was scared of what I thought was gonna happen every morning waking up and seeing the latest stock exchange announcement.

My mates kept buying their season tickets and continued to go.I respected their decision and never asked them why. I knew they were 100% Rangers men and loved the Club. It was not up for debate but I took a different tact and stopped going using the money I saved to buy shares and hoped that action would somehow help rid the club of the spivs . I would do the same again but would never criticise anyone who continued to go.

That could be the case. That is why the question is asked. Did you read the OP? A genuine question was asked, not pin pointing the finger at people. Seems like you are the one starting a conspiracy.
I think you were pinpointing people.
"Selfishness of the highest order" you said about fans keeping their seats

I think you were pinpointing people.
"Selfishness of the highest order" you said about fans keeping their seats
And I stand by that fact that people who just wanted to keep their seats eventhough it would be detrimental to Rangers where acting selfishly. A blind man could see that.

Back