When larsson was poor

DEJA BLUE

He stunk the place out, not just in the 2002 scf but in other games against us apart from the 6-2 game he never did anything against us to merit his overblown hype, always seemed to struggle against us, unless my memory is on the slide.

I cant say I agree but the 2002 final was hilarious viewing last night. For every 1 stinker he had 2 very difficult to play against.

He stunk the place out, not just in the 2002 scf but in other games against us apart from the 6-2 game he never did anything against us to merit his overblown hype, always seemed to struggle against us, unless my memory is on the slide.
aye you're right. For all I despise him for who he played for his CV doesn't read too bad. Overblown hype?

Memory must be on the slide. I remember him chipping klos and giving us a torrid time that game.
Larsson was excellent and anyone that says differently just looks silly

Absolutely no chance mate. The guy caused us all sorts of problems for years. The best player they've ever had imo.

I'd go as far to say that, if Celtic had never signed him, they probably wouldn't have won a title from 1988 until now. He helped stop 10 and was a massive part of O'Neil's side that helped turn the tide from us being miles on top to a more equal footing which they have then taken over in recent years.

Obviously it's conjecture as they couldv'e brought someone else in or another manager who beat Advocaat a different way, but he was a huge figure for them.

And they booed him.

Now that you mention it I don't have any memories of him being anything special against us.

I do remember him diving for a penalty and getting Big Amo sent off and I remember Craig Moore 'putting him up in the air' out by the touchline. (To be fair he took it like a man.)

Absolutely no chance mate. The guy caused us all sorts of problems for years. The best player they've ever had imo.

I'd go as far to say that, if Celtic had never signed him, they probably wouldn't have won a title from 1988 until now. He helped stop 10 and was a massive part of O'Neil's side that helped turn the tide from us being miles on top to a more equal footing which they have then taken over in recent years.

Obviously it's conjecture as they couldn't brought someone else in or another manager who beat Advocaat a different way, but he was a huge figure for them.

And they booed him.
was happy when he left celtic in 04
that full season was Larsson v A weak Rangers side

Memory must be on the slide. I remember him chipping klos and giving us a torrid time that game.
Larsson was excellent and anyone that says differently just looks silly
I said apart from the 6-2 reaming, you tell me goals that he scored against us that stood out everytime I think about him playing us is Craig Moores crunching but fair tackle on the touchline

I think more to the point, if he struggled in a match at that time then their game plan fell to pieces.
Looking back, Smith would potentially have sacrificed a midfielder to mark Larrson so tightly that he would have been out of the match.
The other twist of fate is that Hartson was a medical away from signing for Rangers and that would have changed the dynamic of the sides for a couple of years.

Watching that last night was great fun but it does leave me frustrated that Advocaat didn’t respond better to their physical approach by bringing in a big brute to play in our defence and counter Hartson/Sutton.
The goal that Balde scored in the 2002 Cup Final, he went past Amo like he wasn’t there... and Amoruso has some physique.

If Larsson was overblown hype considering he scored something like one goal in every two games against us.... how would you describe Morelos’ hype?

He was a diving cûnt but he was a top player and gave us a hard time on plenty of occasions.

Also one of the few in MONs team who wasn’t a big horrible dirty bastard on the pitch.

Didn't he score 10-12 goals against us? Not sure that counts as struggling, but there were a few games like the 2002 final against us where he was non-existent.
He was very poor in 2002 SCF but aye he did not too bad against us :oops:
On another note Sutton was a disaster in defense in the final :))

He was a decent player but fell over very easily and was awarded a free kick every time. Mind you the whole celtic team were the same. O'Neills long ball tactics, high punt up the park to Sutton / Hartson, they fall over, win free kick. Cross into the box and score from it or fall over and win penalty. That was pretty much it from memory.

It would be very, very, very churlish of anyone not to concede that Larsson was a terrific player. Without doubt the best domestic opponent we’ve had in my lifetime.

Yes, they are prone to overhype decent players, inflating them to god-like status; the hero-worship of Moravcik for example was and remains baffling to me. But Larsson is as good as they’ve ever had and the odd poor game against us doesn’t change that.

His performance in that final wasn't so much as him being bad as the rest of the team having little interest in playing football.

Literally any time it came near Hartson, instead of trying to hold it up or play in Larsson he was on his arse trying to win a freekick.

Back