When radio was king.

When did it become shite then.
I remember it still being OK in the mid 90s. Had to listen to it a lot as was down in the South of England at the time.

The atmosphere always came through better on it radio. Remember listening to a Sunday game at Ibrox from Nov 2004 v Hearts which we won 3-2 to go top and the ground was absolutely rocking.

I think the open all mics thing they do now is a good idea but would havd been more effective years ago as the only alternative was ceefax or final score.

It’s more recent but I remember Radio 5 live had clips of the goals from the SC semi final against Celtic when Barry Mackay scored that screamer.

The English commentator that day went mental when the ball hit the net.

Tried to find it but nowhere to be found. :(

This might sound, Male under thumb, Nope, the Wife back in the Eighties, took our young son too Ibrox for his indoctrination, who’s now a regular contributor on FF. I had a job where constantly under pressure, so on a Saturday afternoon used to listen to Radio Scotland (PTS) Prior to Scum, do the ironing which was relaxing along with a substantial glass, of Merlot. Taking in the Radio commentary was worse than being at the game, as there are games where when watching you know your on top.

Some great responses and other memories from posters. On reading through them it’s probably worth pointing out to some of the younger FF’ers that RC did not come on air until Dec 31 1973, so as far as I remember, prior to that the BBC had a monopoly on football radio coverage in Scotland. Also, both Radio stations in that era were very good and totally balanced and impartial, nothing like today’s lop sided drivel. The presenters were proper broadcasters, with proper training & education behind them and boy did it show.

One thing I don’t miss from those days is there’s always be someone in the crowd spreading fake scores from other games which you’d subsequently find out were total bollocks

Main one I remember was the day we missed out on 10 - well, reality was that it was out of our hands anyway. At Ibrox for the beamback from Tannadump whilst they played St Johnstone at the Piggery.

They'd scored early on IIRC then we scored not long after. Such was the tension that I believe someone on the radio said "we have an equaliser..." and everyone jumped the gun thinking St Johnstone had equalised. Turned out is was in some other game but word was going around that we were top as it stood.

Some poor bugger in the Broomie Rear took it upon himself to stand up and say to everyone within earshot that they were still winning. Got undeserved pelters for it. Unfortunately he was right.

The atmosphere always came through better on it radio. Remember listening to a Sunday game at Ibrox from Nov 2004 v Hearts which we won 3-2 to go top and the ground was absolutely rocking.

Same season and we skelped the sheep 5-0 and same again, Ibrox was bouncing. Strangely remember over the commentary (I'm assuming) an announcement for the sheep that they were getting kept in.

*ding dong ding* followed by "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" then a chorus of "sheep in a pen, kept like sheep in a pen"

Could hear big DJ chuckling away in the background

My memories of football on the radio were mainly games at somewhere like Nether Pollok and someone in the crowd having a radio; if there was a shock result on the cards, which from memory mainly involved a cup upset or a game in a league run in, then the attention would swing to what was happening on the radio and not really on the game. Till perhaps the last two decades football was more unpredictable; I don't think that kind of drama exists today. I'd love to have been at Nether Pollok on Helicopter Sunday though; hadn't even thought of that before.

Brilliant stuff, mate.

How much easier it is for the young yins to Follow Follow compared to the likes of you and I. A couple of things:

1. I moved to London for Yooni in 1981. In the winter on clear nights you could pick up BBC Scotland MW broadcasts for European games, crackly and intermittent though it may be.

2. Teletext came to our rescue for scores/results - but you never got the immediacy of David Francey's voice.

3. My auld dear fulfilled the same sort of function as @mdingwall does. She'd tear out the back pages of Sunday's Mail and Monday's Herald and post them to me as regular as clockwork. Unlike Mr Dingwall she'd include a couple of caramel wafers or macaroon bars. Now and then she'd include a fiver - easily enough for a couple of pints.

Makes me nostalgic thinking about it.
I had a mate who lived in London in the late 70s early 80s ..he would put the Rangers result on to teletext ..the just stare at the box for the next 100 mins

Good memories. Radio Clyde Superscoreboard just seemed massive. It was like everyone listened to it. Can remember visiting my gran on a Saturday and having to wait until the official scores on Grandstand. You had to wait until all the English league was done, which seemed like an hour. Its tragic how BBC Radio Scotland and Clyde have went. I can't stomach any of them now even if Rangers win.

I worked in the coop in shawlands during the pittodrie league win. We were practically all blue noses and we had Clyde on the tannoy in the store for the game. Remember doing a knee slide down the cereal aisle when butcher scored and at the final whistle the store went mental. Later threw out of panama jaxs I was so drunk.

The phone ins on Clyde just consisted
of Jimmy Sandison berating anyone who did not go to a game. Jimmy was a real passionate guy who just wanted people to get their arses out the door to watch a game and support it.

Sadly from the early 90's when the mentally challengeds were in a bad way it just became a forum for the scum to get Fergus McCann in the door at the Piggery

Even Gerry McNee having verbals with mentally challengeds over the state of things on the phone ins was a great laugh but after a while it became a turn off as it became boring.

I had a mate who lived in London in the late 70s early 80s ..he would put the Rangers result on to teletext ..the just stare at the box for the next 100 mins
That is funny - but waiting for teletext to update is not as weird as the boy who posted on here the other week that he's too much of a shitebag to watch games on TV until he knows the result.

Great post OP.

My biggest memory is hearing Mo Jo's last min goal vs the Dhims and us running mental around the shop that used to be next to Lorimers in Bishopton knocking over all kinds of stuff.

Certainly it's one of the lost arts.

Done the same as a store manager at Iceland. Lucky as was in the back shop.

Great post mate always loved listening to the games on the radio back in the day as it sounded more exciting than it actually was.

As they both the beeb and Clyde could only broadcast the last 5 mins of the 1st half they would fill the 3.00-3.40 slot with features on other sports.

Old firm games were a nightmare during this time as soon as said feature was over the presenter would build up the tension by stating that a goal has been scored. He would then make it worse by saying is it a goal for us or them before getting confirmation from the commentator.

Always hated having to wait until Gerry McDaid on Clyde had finished giving out the greyhound results before getting an update.

Richard Park and Jimmy "where you at the game caller" Sandison commentating on the Davie Cooper goal v the mentally challengeds in the 3-0 win back in 85.
Pale immitation of what it was and who can forget Dick Donnolly,lol. They've killed it now.

That game and the first 5-1 game will live long in the memory.
Another one I won’t forget was the New Years Day game at the piggery when we skelped them 4-2. I had spent the night at hospital with my dad who had suffered a bad fall and I wasn’t sent home by the nurses just in time for kick off. I listened to the game on my dad’s clock radio and the amazing performance aside big DJ raised a smile when it was reported that the scum had turned on their board of directors and had hurled a Mars bar amongst other things at them. The big man was obviously loving what was happening and said he would have caught it in his mouth had he been there.

It's funny the things you remember. I recall this, as well. Me and my Dad chuckling in the car after having picked up my Gran in Knightswood to take her to ours for New Year's dinner.

I loved the radio. If felt out-of-this-world especially European evenings - a crackly commentary from some exotic destination. The intro music from Radio Two at 8pm during the week still gives me tingles.

And now we have the abomination of 'Open All Mics'. It really was special. Sometimes more is, indeed, less.

Or maybe it's childhood nostalgia.

Aye I miss my wee tranny with the one plastic plug in ear ....phone used to take pp3 battery

Sixties and Early seventies were magic times from four pm on Saturday afternoons with Radio Scotland on the wireless and a chance to listen in on the second half of the Rangers game.

Then tune into sport scene on Saturday nights and Scotsport on Sunday afternoons. In fact I can vaguely remember Scotsport used to be on Saturday nights as well with Alex Cameron commentating.

Loved the radio as a kid, live as it happened action instead of waiting for the highlights late at night or the next day.
Earliest memory for me was during the sheeps euro run in 83 v Bayern . Couldn't get a decent reception on my wee tranny so was all over the house trying to get a signal ended up standing on a stool leaning over the chest freezer. As I was so excited (changed days) I got to stay up late to watch it on telly.
Fast forward about ten years and me and my mates were out in the Highlands for some reason and the banger we were in's aerial had been snapped off. I had some painters tools in the car so held a paint scraper onto the aerial stub to get a reception which was fine, until Rangers scored. Cue flying sharp object just missing my mates head. Then missed the next five minutes as we tried to find it in the undergrowth.

Sixties and Early seventies were magic times from four pm on Saturday afternoons with Radio Scotland on the wireless and a chance to listen in on the second half of the Rangers game.

Then tune into sport scene on Saturday nights and Scotsport on Sunday afternoons. In fact I can vaguely remember Scotsport used to be on Saturday nights as well with Alex Cameron commentating.

Correct, Cameron did do some commentating for Scotsport back then as did Bob Crampsey. George Davidson was a regular on the BBC pre Archie & Alistair Alexander.

Wee bit off topic here but I remembered something about David Francey. I grew up listening to him like many others on here.

Some years ago, Forres Mechanics played Hibs in a pre-season friendly at Mosset Park. As the teams came out, the tannoy announcer said that " a certain Mr David Francey will be providing commentary today." We thought WTF? Turned out he was on holiday in nearby Findhorn and when someone from the club found out, asked him along to the game.

It wasn't like a commentary he'd do on the radio but close enough and it was so surreal listening to his well known voice and sayings being blasted out in Forres! He was a legend and it makes me sick to think of that bigot, David Begg, coming along later and that wee tit, Mcleod, who's there now.

I have many memories of listening to David Francey commentating on Rangers games.
Probably the earliest being the 1970 League Cup Final.
Another couple that stick out, are the 1976 Scottish Cup Semi v Motherwell at Hampden, 2-0 down and winning 3-2.
The most recent one being a match he wasn't commentating on, it was The 1981 Scottish Cup 4th round at Muirton Park.
I remember Rangers were 3-2 down going into the last knockings, we had been listening to whatever match David had been commentating on, waiting for updates from Perth.
We then heard him say "And Rangers have scored a dramatic late equaliser" My Dad, Brother,and me all dancing round the room.
Great memories of bygone days.

Back