When Rangers triumphs over Social Convention

BobbyShearer

Official Ticketer
In an ideal world we’d all be grownups and recognise that football is just a game and the real world is more important.

But f.uck that.
Besides being an abysmal partner and father by responding to numerous requests with “no, Rangers are playing” I have, with some regret in hindsight, missed family events due to important games and cup finals(aye and some unimportant games)

Not as bad as a mate who went to a game over his sisters wedding.
A reserve game. :D

What’s your shame?
The less fucks given the better.

In an ideal world we’d all be grownups and recognise that football is just a game and the real world is more important.

But f.uck that.
Besides being an abysmal partner and father by responding to numerous requests with “no, Rangers are playing” I have, with some regret in hindsight, missed family events due to important games and cup finals(aye and some unimportant games)

What’s your shame?
I think your mate was maybe just dropping the hint that his sister wasn't liked very much !

My dad and I missed a close family wedding my cousin was marrying a yahoo, to watch the Gers play Dundee Utd before Manchester, we made it through to Edinburgh for the buffet, my aunt removed our names from the table plan, they're divorced, I still love the Gers tell me I was wrong

Daughters 18th birthday went to tynecastle without ticket never got in wife still talks about it was 20 years ago

A mate of mine had to go to the labour suite for his first child with his wife in the early afternoon. He asked the nurse if the birth was imminent. On being told no probably not for an hour or so. Mate to wife. " Darling I'm off to the old firm game at Ibrox." Luckily she was in the Southern General so twenty mins or so away.
On return after the game the baby still hadn't arrived so he told her he couldn't see what she was moaning about

Had a conversation just 30 minutes ago.

“He has a birthday party tomorrow after climbing and his guitar lesson tomorrow, so make sure you have lunch ready to get him sorted pre party”

I just raised an eyebrow and said “rangers games on so your taking him to that”.

Rolled her eyes but got the point.

A very close friend (I was their best man) invited us to his daughter’s Christening with about 3 weeks notice.
All very well except I’d had that weekend booked in to play for our Rangers supporters team - Interbears for about 6 months previously.

The missus went Tonto, my mate went very cold on me, I ended up God-parent to their second child instead of potentially the first...

and we ended up W1/D1L1 in the group and got knocked out of the cup.

One the other side of it - I had to give up my ticket for the UEFA Cup Final in 2008 as our first child was due on 19th and my wife was ready to drop any moment by the 13th.
Football is important to all of us but moments like your children being born are much more important.

One the other side of it - I had to give up my ticket for the UEFA Cup Final in 2008 as our first child was due on 19th and my wife was ready to drop any moment by the 13th.
Football is important to all of us but moments like your children being born are much more important.

Ooft. There’s a moral dilemma and a half. :D

Got married on the Friday in 1995 cause we were at home to Motherwell on the Saturday .
Snap,got married on a Friday,went to Dundee United game on Saturday.November 1974,still married just now :) she deserves a medal.might get her 55 orange lilies in May

Was visiting Niagara Falls with a mate over from Scotland. Turned on the Hotel TV and the Rangers were on so, we cracked a couple of beers, closed the drapes and watched the game while our wives visited the Falls

Ooft. There’s a moral dilemma and a half. :D
It was a lot easier than I ever imagined.

As soon as the 1/4 finals came round I had to start mentally preparing for it.
my daughter & I have a good laugh about it - if I’m talking about Rangers matches she takes the loss and asks if I’m on about the one I missed because of her!

Hospitality tickets on the fucking halfway like as well!!

Married during international weekend, had the girlfriend ( now wife threaten) to leave me because I was going to the football every weekend and during the week the season we made the UEFA cup final. During one argument she says you love rangers more than you love me!..... my reply ( and I was only joking) I love Celtic more than I love you.

We are away to Kraków on Friday early doors so we are staying at a hotel the night before. She’s wanting to share a bath when we get to the hotel around 6pm..... not a chance that will happen I’m watching the famous playing Porto.

My nieces 5th birthday party in Stirling we are playing the filth at the pigsty. I proceed to watch the game on sky go and not interact with any of the in laws and went crazy when hill scored a late equaliser. Absolute dogs abuse on the journey home not one feck given.

Almost missed my grans 60th when we won the league at Easter road in 2005 as I knew tims would be there. Told my family I wouldn’t make it.... but plans changed when the helicopter changed direction and I ended up making it. And yes the few rattlers got dogs abuse.

Wife phoned me at work the day we played Man U 2009 told me she’d cut her hand and that she’d had stictches. Apparently I’d have to bath our two girls at night so couldn’t go to the football at night. Not a problem my reply was and I bathed them at 4pm when I got back from work and went to the game. Again cold shoulder when I think about it shes tried but failed to make me think about life after rangers. Rangers rule my life it’s an absolute obsession.

Fast forward to then we win 55 everyone has been told they won’t see me for a few days as I’ll be out with the lads celebrating.

Last edited:
I'm booked up for a stag in April.

If we can win the league on that day I am pulling out of the stag.

But f.uck that.

What’s your shame?

In the 98/99 season, I missed a relative's funeral in Aberdeen so that I could attend a home match and a night out in the old Edmiston Club. I feel terrible about it now.

Gary Bollan of Dundee Utd is asked by his lifelong pal if he will be his best man so Gary accepts

Shortly afterwards Gary signs for Rangers and is asked politely by his lifelong pal if he would mind stepping down from the role as the wife-to-be is from a staunchly (and evidently bigoted ) filth family

Gary steps down so in a warped roundabout way Rangers once again triumphed over social convention.

This story courtesy of a very good trustworthy friend from Perth

But f.uck that.

What’s your shame?
Mothers second marriage.
Wedding day, flew home for it. Grooms speach had a fair bit thanking me for making it over, only between church and going the reception I fucked off to the Rangers club for a few beers with my mates.
Use them or lose them.

Wasn't even a game on, just to sit in the club, missed the speaches but made dinner.

Last edited:
My daughter has been born on the 29thof December. This date is not ideal in anyway shape or form. She’s coming up for two. Potentially another 50 years of her birthday interfering with the football! How am i gonna get through this?lol

A mate of mine had to go to the labour suite for his first child with his wife in the early afternoon. He asked the nurse if the birth was imminent. On being told no probably not for an hour or so. Mate to wife. " Darling I'm off to the old firm game at Ibrox." Luckily she was in the Southern General so twenty mins or so away.
On return after the game the baby still hadn't arrived so he told her he couldn't see what she was moaning about
Did we win FFS? :)

Nothing beats a certain Rangers man from Kinning Park.

He went from his actual wedding ceremony to Kilmarnock in April 1971, to watch the teddies.

From garters to Gers, indeed.

I was at the birth of my first son at 4.20, by 5.30 I was on my way to see Rangers v Liverpool for the official opening of the Govan (I think).

I was skint so to make her really happy I thought I would help myself to the “club money” that she thought she had hidden from me as well

I'm booked up for a stag in April.

If we can win the league on that day I am pulling out of the stag.
Wife said she was ready to book a holiday for us next year, I said when are we going and when she said May I told her I wouldn't make it.
She asked why was work related? I told her no, we may win the league and I'm not going anywhere.
Never talked to me for about 4hrs.

I fell out with a burd i had being going with for 3 yrs at the time i went to all the games home & away and in europe and she used to moan like f*** because my weekends were always about going to the football and last straw for her it was one of her families birthdays on the friday but i was going to be in munich (the game mols got injured ) she said it was either her or the football needless to say rangers won that argument

In the sixties my dad and me sneaked out of my auntie’s wedding reception to see the second half of the Gers game at Shawfield.

My son fell from a tree whilst climbing it for bonkers. Got a phone call saying an ambulance was called. It was a Wednesday night night and we were playing at Hampden in a semi final. I went down, made sure he was still breathing, left someone else to take him to the Royal and left to go to the game! He survived and Davie Robertson scored the winner.

Got married three years ago on the 28th of this month, my best man surprised us with an overnight stay in the grand Central Hotel, he picked us up the next morning and we dropped off 'the wife' at home and I went to the kilmarnock game at Ibrox, we won 3 nil

Moved house on the 31st of October last year which was a Wednesday, got the last of our gear into the new house then left the wife to sort/clean etc whilst I went to Ibrox for the game, we drew 1-1

This is one of the main themes of Nick Hornby’s Fever Pitch.

But Hornby uses it for comic effect, well aware that missing important family events for a game of football shows the wrong priorities.

As some on here might say, “mentally challenged behaviour”.

In one of many acts of lunacy during my lifetime; I overtook the snow plough on Beattock summit
Driver looked at me in horror,but I was having none of it :))

I was renovating my house and my brother in law was helping a lot. Discovered the beams under the shower were rotten and was down at b&q getting replacement beams and fixings. Was looking like a big job.

Cue 11am when I popped my head around the door suited and booted and told him I was off to Hampden for hospitality at the cup semi final vs the scum (the 2-2 game we won on pens).

Left him to it and it was all done and floor down before I got home late that night. Still feel a bit guilty but wouldn't do everything differently. He's not into footy and has never really mentioned it since.

Got married in Gretna on the Friday 1993.
Left her in the honeymoon suite Saturday lunchtime and drove up to Airdrie to see us win the league, then drove back down.
Don't think she missed me. :))

This is one of the main themes of Nick Hornby’s Fever Pitch.

But Hornby uses it for comic effect, well aware that missing important family events for a game of football shows the wrong priorities.

As some on here might say, “mentally challenged behaviour”.

That’s Arsenal.
I’d rather go to a mentally challenged wedding than an arsenal game ffs.

So beat it :D

Back