When someone from this team is inevitably sold it's gonnae be horrible.

Walker54

I know it's inevitable and we know it's the way we must run the club to keep everything sustainable but it is gonnae sting, it actually feels like a lifetime ago since we had so many assets and we vsold one of our top players, big Jelavic is probably the last one that really springs to mind and even then he was sold for far less than I would have wanted at the the time while the shysters running the club in to the ground pocketed it.

unfortunately players going from clubs is a fundamental part of football, they'll go and we'll get replacements

life goes on, doesn't mean we can't still watch them at their next club and hope they do well

I think it will be Borna unfortunately who will be the first to go.
Can’t see it. Form wise he’s been up and down since Xmas.

Kamara and Morelos are prime to be sold if the club so chooses. We will miss them a lot.

Goldson we may have no choice over if he doesn’t sign that new deal before the window opens.

I think it will be Borna unfortunately who will be the first to go.
I think so too. He's not the youngest, and the Euros this summer could really showcase his skill to the wider market.

As much as I don't want it, could see a top european team coming in for him post Euros.

Surely we will be smashing our record transfer fee received next season with the assets we have at our disposal. Would be interested to hear Ross Wilson’s current squad value projection in comparison to November 2019.

Has to be the way. It's our model we need to work to. I'm comfortable with it. The current situation is not sustainable.

For the record, the one which would have the lesser impact if he leaves - not that i don't think he is a great player - but it would be Borna.

Morelos working his ticket to move to Lille was a kick in the nuts! I'm over that now though, I think we all know 1 is leaving. We also all know the reasons why, Covid has kicked our arse financially so therefore if we get our price for whoever it is and I include Goldson in that I won't hold any resentment. The players have given us so much that whoever is sold, they go with my best wishes. Same with the board they've given us so much and if we get a great offer, I trust them the money is needed to stay alive and will be reinvested where it can

Be No Tantrums here ! (I think :)))

The big difference now is the players will go for a large fee that will be reinvested.

Yes it will be sad to see but it will soon turn to excitement when we are signing quality replacements

It will be sad but I believe it will be for a value that represents what they’re worth and it will make a change form the low ball sh1te offers like we had for Tav a couple of seasons ago.

I think we’ll see Glen and possibly Buff go this summer and good as Glen is I think Alfie will be harder to replace.

I know it's inevitable and we know it's the way we must run the club to keep everything sustainable but it is gonnae sting, it actually feels like a lifetime ago since we had so many assets and we vsold one of our top players, big Jelavic is probably the last one that really springs to mind and even then he was sold for far less than I would have wanted at the the time while the shysters running the club in to the ground pocketed it.
OP is bang on.

We have fallen in love with this team so when one of our major players leave it is going to be hard to take

But thats the model we are going for and I trust the management team to bring in adequate replacements. We are lucky in that sense
There will be a massive and extremely immature meltdown on here from people who think we can keep on running through soft loans and generous owners.

Well all negativity aside heres some good news. Selling the likes of a Kamara or Morelos will do Rangers no harm at all because:-

1) They pocket a large fee to reinvest which is essential club management
2) They look like a club players can sign for and improve at, essential for transfer market management
3) They look like a club other big clubs can circle and make bids to. Being associated with large transfers does our reputation nothing but good. Lets say Kamara goes to Arsenal or Morelos to La Liga, Rangers are in the news cycle as the selling club where they made their name really.

Then itll be onto finding and developing the next Kamara or Morelos.

I just have a feeling Kamara would be the most likely to go. He's the one who would attract the bigger clubs, like the Arsenal rumour.

Alfie up until recently would've been a cert but now he's more settled in Glasgow and unlikely to attract a club that will offer him Champions League or even any European involvement I can see him staying.

Goldson similar, not sure he'd move to anything other than bottom half premier league at a push which mightn't trump being a first team regular here.

Just as well clubs won't be splashing the cash this year as they try to recover from the pandemic cause a silly money bid for Kent was highly likely.

Reactions: TQ3
It's necessary not only for finances, but also to keep progressing. You can't stay too loyal to the same players, it just leads to lowering of performance levels as they age. Stock is high now, with the league won and performances in Europe. It's a good time to say a fond farewell to some if the price is right and we have replacements lined up.

I think what's more horrible, is wallowing about as also rans without a player in the team worth a carrot.
What really annoys me is playing financial second fiddle to no mark EPL and Championship clubs who are propped up by TV money and without it couldn't lace our boots.

There are brain dead people who think we don’t have to sell anyone if we make the champions league.

Absolute fantasy stuff, we are on record that we spent to get were we are and need to start trading players.

It happens in football you must sell when you can Liverpool are the perfect example of it working and still getting success although it doesn’t always work that way.

One or two big sales, with a chunk of the money re-invested (I'm not naive enough to think it should be all), and strengthen overall in about 3 or 4 positions with emerging players is the way forward.

Normally I would say that's a gamble, and inherently I suppose all player sales are to some degree, but I have so much faith in this coaching team I can't see it being much of one.

As long as we get a good price and replace them well, we will be alright. Although it’ll be tough to take a Goldson or Morelos going!

I am most concerned about Greegs and Davis retiring. Now that'll hurt.
Think I'm going to have dust in my eyes when this happens.

I think the staff and Ross Wilson have demonstrated that they are more than capable of finding players that suit us and will be confident that if we're selling anyone, that we'll have at least a couple of options that can replace them lined up.

Of course the nature of football is that every signing is a gamble but there's no point in having a scouting team that you don't trust to find you players. If you don't, what's the point in having them?

I know what you mean OP but I’m kind of looking forward to it as well - it will be quite exciting to see what the recruitment team can bring in once we start generating big profits off of this group of players. If we are regularly generating tens of millions in sales, we’ll see a lot of that put back on the park in a sustainable way which I find quite exciting too.

We’re finally becoming a club that’s ran the way one of our size should be in the 21st century, although I’ll miss the players when they go that in itself is something I’ve been waiting to see become a reality for years and I am quite excited to see it in practice.

Probably been discussed on here before, but - if we make the CL group stages will we still need to sell players?

We sold Laudrup, we sold Gazza, we sold Stein, we sold Bud and we did alright.
It's part and parcel of football that players come and players go.

The only transfer out that had a catastrophic effect on the club was Baxter and with all due respect we have no Baxters at present.

This is a slight tangent, but one thing I think our fans haven't quite got the mindset of yet is that when players are sold, their replacements are not going to be as good immediately.

Of course, no guarantees there, we may luck out, but we've had to develop the likes of Morelos, Kent, Hagi, Barisic, Kamara, Aribo, Goldson, Tavernier, and others into the players they are now. They didn't show up as good as they are.

So from time to time, we need to take a little step back in terms of quality when players are sold. Sometimes, that won't be planned for either as such if a big bid comes in for a player we were otherwise going to keep.

We're not used to it at Rangers. We were only just getting there when 2012 happened.

My only worry is that too many go, a lot of noise around Kamara and Hellander, and if Barasic has a good Euros and attracts interest from a top league club I think it would be difficult to hold onto him.
Add in the usual Alfie circus of will he stay or will he go and we could be facing a season of transition.

it’s crucial we get top value for our players.

If we continue to recruit well and extract maximum value when the move is best for all parties, we’ll have a top class business model that should only get stronger over time.

I know what you mean OP but I’m kind of looking forward to it as well - it will be quite exciting to see what the recruitment team can bring in once we start generating big profits off of this group of players. If we are regularly generating tens of millions in sales, we’ll see a lot of that put back on the park in a sustainable way which I find quite exciting too.

We’re finally becoming a club that’s ran the way one of our size should be in the 21st century, although I’ll miss the players when they go that in itself is something I’ve been waiting to see become a reality for years and I am quite excited to see it in practice.
Agreed mate. If we want to keep on winning titles and doing well in Europe we need the recruitment team at the club to be looking at replacements for players as soon as they sign.

It has to happen and I wish them well. They've got us 55 and our first title in over 10 years. Its part and parcel of football. I was devastated when Laudrup left for Chelsea when I was younger. I hoped he'd be at Rangers all my life. :))

It’s actually a good time to do so and healthy in that it allows us to refresh whilst getting good fees in - I’ve also confidence that we have targets identified across all positions.
If we got bids for a few players it wouldn’t surprise me if Borna and Alfie go - or possibly Hagi if a good bid came in.
I’d like to keep Kamara, Kent, Aribo, Tav. Goldson, Helander

Well all negativity aside heres some good news. Selling the likes of a Kamara or Morelos will do Rangers no harm at all because:-

1) They pocket a large fee to reinvest which is essential club management
2) They look like a club players can sign for and improve at, essential for transfer market management
3) They look like a club other big clubs can circle and make bids to. Being associated with large transfers does our reputation nothing but good. Lets say Kamara goes to Arsenal or Morelos to La Liga, Rangers are in the news cycle as the selling club where they made their name really.

Then itll be onto finding and developing the next Kamara or Morelos.
This is spot on.

There is no room for sentiment in modern day football especially at rangers and our new professional business model we will be a club developing players and selling players whilst we continue to win trophies

It’ll be a sore one, however I have trust that the management team and Ross Wilson will have a succession plan for each position

If and when any of the present squad go they will go with my best wishes.
It’s going to happen sooner or later and there’s where the gaffer and Ross Wilson will earn their corn by getting in suitable replacements. I don’t have any fear on that score.

As long as the price is fair and we don’t undervalue our players because we have to sell them the majority will understand it.

I think most people trust Gerrard and Wilson to find the right replacements as well.

If we get good money it will cushion the blow. We all know the model for self sufficient buy at reasonable prices sell high. We actually need to start the sell high bit as we've not done it in years and never on a regular basis.

There are brain dead people who think we don’t have to sell anyone if we make the champions league.

Absolute fantasy stuff, we are on record that we spent to get were we are and need to start trading players.

It happens in football you must sell when you can Liverpool are the perfect example of it working and still getting success although it doesn’t always work that way.
Brain dead?
That’s really nice of you.
Maybe they’re just passionate and don’t see it as easily as you do.

Back