When someone from this team is inevitably sold it's gonnae be horrible.

I think we have to be pragmatic about it. In an ideal world I wouldn’t want to see us lose Kent or Morelos, simply because I think they would be the two most difficult to replace.

The main thing that worries me is if we get lots of offers coming in across the squad. It’s one thing to say we could sell one of our prime assets in order to help balance the books and reinvest a little. However if we do that bit of business but then have serious bids come in for some of the others - and especially if they have their heads turned and want to go - then it could be a challenging summer. That’s also set against a background of some serious strengthening required anyway in the middle of the park.

Interesting times ahead.

I suppose the big difference here, for the first time and about 15 years, given our financial positions over that period, any player we sell, we're doing it from a position of strength.

We're no longer selling our top players simply to keep the lights on.

I just have a feeling Kamara would be the most likely to go. He's the one who would attract the bigger clubs, like the Arsenal rumour.

Alfie up until recently would've been a cert but now he's more settled in Glasgow and unlikely to attract a club that will offer him Champions League or even any European involvement I can see him staying.

Goldson similar, not sure he'd move to anything other than bottom half premier league at a push which mightn't trump being a first team regular here.

Just as well clubs won't be splashing the cash this year as they try to recover from the pandemic cause a silly money bid for Kent was highly likely.
Money talks and playing in a bottom half EPL club will pay 5 to 10 times what we can afford.

Can’t see it. Form wise he’s been up and down since Xmas.

Kamara and Morelos are prime to be sold if the club so chooses. We will miss them a lot.

Goldson we may have no choice over if he doesn’t sign that new deal before the window opens.
Has Kamara signed a new deal yet?

Brain dead?
That’s really nice of you.
Maybe they’re just passionate and don’t see it as easily as you do.

The majority of this squad will be forever loved and never forgotten by us all, if teams are coming in with offers we can’t refuse they must go.

I don’t think we should be selling a handful of squad players but 1/2 main players out the squad I can accept it’s a business we need to start acting like one the investors pockets will never last forever.

I’ll be heart broken if some players leave, believe me, but I can accept that it MUST be done.

Not gonna lie i might cry when Alfie leaves!
Me too, Alfie has been one of those players that we've lived every moment of his career with us. From his passion on the park to his dedication to helping others from his home country. He's cemented himself a Rangers legend.

The majority of this squad will be forever loved and never forgotten by us all, if teams are coming in with offers we can’t refuse they must go.

I don’t think we should be selling a handful of squad players but 1/2 main players out the squad I can accept it’s a business we need to start acting like one the investors pockets will never last forever.

I’ll be heart broken if some players leave, believe me, but I can accept that it MUST be done.
I agree with nearly every word.
My issue was with the insulting “brain dead” comment.

There is no sentimentality in football. We’ve got to try and improve on the quality level we have now and do it by spending less than we sell for.
it may be by redistributing our sales cash to other areas of the team where we need it. That said, this coming season is a bit different in that the winners of the title will be guaranteed the cash cow of direct champions league entry so it would be worth speculating to accumulate.
I’d rather we target first eleven signings, weed out the superfluous ‘squad’ players and try to replace them by bringing through young players.

I agree with nearly every word.
My issue was with the insulting “brain dead” comment.

Sorry if that was offensive I’ve just got 1 mate in particular who thinks we don’t have to sell anybody if we make the champions league, that is ignorant and selfish thinking IMO, we will and have to trade players, I don’t understand how he can’t believe or accept that.

Well your example of Jelavic is not all that relevant as he was sold on the cheap with no warning and we all knew the money would not be spent. Now we are building up players for profit which will be reinvested. Morelos and Kamara will (probably) go with our thanks and good wishes and the money will bring in new talent.

It’s such a tight knit group, I think even they will feel it, but I don’t think any more than two will be allowed to leave.

Has to happen. No issues here. That’s football
It’s been happening for almost 150 yrs... players come, players go and the club moves on.

This set of players has done very well and has brought incredible moments over the last 2-3yrs but in order to bring in even better players some emotional departures are inevitable.

With that in mind, getting key players on longer term deals is vital to help push any selling price as high as possible.

Probably been discussed on here before, but - if we make the CL group stages will we still need to sell players?
Getting to the group stages would probably result in a small profit on its own, but there’s also an element of cashing in on the players when their market value is highest and before we need to start paying them more money than we should.

I think CL group stages and one big player sale would be ideal, but there are probably going to be quite a few good offers for players that would be hard to turn down. We just need to avoid significant turnover to the core of the squad.

Yeah, I don't think anyone wants to see any player leave but I am keeping positive that with the lure of CL football, we may only need to let one go. The team have shown they can spot value and talent so providing we keep our core, I will be happy. We already know that Davis will be here in midfield. In attack, we must keep Kent and in defence, we'll have Tav/Goldson.

For me, that's the spine of the team.

it’s crucial we get top value for our players.

If we continue to recruit well and extract maximum value when the move is best for all parties, we’ll have a top class business model that should only get stronger over time.
My concern is clubs won't spend big this summer due to the impact of covid etc and the last year.. Pep recently done an interview where he said City wouldn't be spending on a replacement for Augero. I'd hate to see us under cut ourselves on our assets if clubs offer lower prices.

My concern is clubs won't spend big this summer due to the impact of covid etc and the last year.. Pep recently done an interview where he said City wouldn't be spending on a replacement for Augero. I'd hate to see us under cut ourselves on our assets if clubs offer lower prices.

If we let our players go on the cheap, like years gone by, the business model won’t work.

We must be able to command top dollar for our players, thankfully winning the league this year and CL qualification in the future will help us achieve that.

I know all the practical, sensible & reasonable reasons behind the sale of any of our players -
These reasons are amply covered above & I have to agree with them

Regrettably that won't make the sentimentality & emotion disappear when someone does go

It's all the more heightened because the team right now feels like a family -

I know we can be hyper-critical on here at times & I'm guilty of that as well- but that doesn't lessen my appreciation of each & everyone of our current squad

I wish them all the very best of luck in the future & really hope they succeed wherever they go - but they'll always be special to me because of what they achieved here

Like I said they're now family & I'll inevitably have some sadness when there are departures

it actually feels like a lifetime ago since we had so many assets and we vsold one of our top players, big Jelavic is probably the last one that really springs to mind
When was the last time someone left the club whom we were genuinely bothered about losing?

Jelavic?
Lewis Macleod. Selling him for a measly million left me utterly depressed at our situation.

Of course in hindsight his injuries meant that we probably sold him at the right time. But at the time it felt as though we were drifting away into oblivion.

Yup it will be horrible but lets be realistic it needs to happen and we have a great back up in management for replacing people lets see what happens.

FF will open a hotline akin to when Take That broke up to deal with distraught teenage girls, erm I mean posters on here. :p

• Haha
Reactions: fmp
We won’t like it but it needs to happen, it’s been made abundantly clear. What won’t happen is a fire sale. I also expect us to realise good value when it does happen.

I also trust our management team to be sourcing replacements that mean we maintain our quality.

I know it's inevitable and we know it's the way we must run the club to keep everything sustainable but it is gonnae sting, it actually feels like a lifetime ago since we had so many assets and we vsold one of our top players, big Jelavic is probably the last one that really springs to mind and even then he was sold for far less than I would have wanted at the the time while the shysters running the club in to the ground pocketed it.
I love this team. If I am honest there are groups of players who I have upset me more about leaving than I will be with these guys. I’ve seen a lot leave over the years.

100%.

Many of us have endured our hardships in the last 10 years and finally we have a team that we have a connection with.

Anyone who goes and contributed to our success, goes wit my best wishes.

No point in dwelling on it. Look what happened with Alfie. Not many thought hed be here this season.

When it happens it happens and we have a good team in to scout/find a replacement.

on a wee side note who is all suspended for the champions league qualifier that last game claimed a few suspensions ?

I tend to think it will be a good thing if we sell on one or two of our most saleable assets.
It will validate the model the club has been building and justify it as a sustainable platform going forward. The key issue will, of course, be bringing in replacements of the character, quality and age profile who can prove to be suitable replacements.
Like everyone else on here I'll miss whoever goes from this group but when you consider the successful English teams of the past such as Liverpool and Man Utd., a large part of their succes was based on knowing when to move players on, even at the height of their careers in some cases.
Movement within the squad is needed to keep the group fresh and vital, always seeking to improve and never resting on our laurels.

As long as we get a fair price for them and replace with decent quality I can live with it. It will be interesting to see how our first serious sale in a while goes - we are historically dreadful at getting the right price for our players.

I think
Hagi
Borna
And
either
Goldson or helander will go

Stewart - sold
Jones - sold
Edmundson - sold

I think Katic and itten will be loaned

a good team needs to evolve and get better, long as we get better players to replace them, and get the price we want for the ones leaving, then that's all that matters, I'll always remember this squad for what they have done this season fondly, but it's rangers that I support, and we should always be constantly moving forward and strive to improve, that's just the way it is in football

Jordan Jones im not too bothered
Seriously i think kamara might be the one that goes but lure of champions league if we qualify might help to keep players
Hopeful loyal

My daughter said the same on sunday

look they go with our best wishes rangers move on

at least they leave as winners

There are brain dead people who think we don’t have to sell anyone if we make the champions league.

Absolute fantasy stuff, we are on record that we spent to get were we are and need to start trading players.

It happens in football you must sell when you can Liverpool are the perfect example of it working and still getting success although it doesn’t always work that way.
You are a charmer,thats some way to speak about fellow Bears

There will be a massive and extremely immature meltdown on here from people who think we can keep on running through soft loans and generous owners.
And I’ve always found FF to be a forum of reasonable and rational debate.

I know it's inevitable and we know it's the way we must run the club to keep everything sustainable but it is gonnae sting, it actually feels like a lifetime ago since we had so many assets and we vsold one of our top players, big Jelavic is probably the last one that really springs to mind and even then he was sold for far less than I would have wanted at the the time while the shysters running the club in to the ground pocketed it.
Gazza went. Laudrup went. Souness went. Wilkins went. Cooper went. We can handle this.

There is no sentimentality in football. We’ve got to try and improve on the quality level we have now and do it by spending less than we sell for.
it may be by redistributing our sales cash to other areas of the team where we need it. That said, this coming season is a bit different in that the winners of the title will be guaranteed the cash cow of direct champions league entry so it would be worth speculating to accumulate.
I’d rather we target first eleven signings, weed out the superfluous ‘squad’ players and try to replace them by bringing through young players.

Well there is plenty of sentimentality in football - but there's certainly none in the transfer market.

Even watching Zungu leave will be sad. The player was part of 55 and that will be forever appreciated.
Jeez it's football. Beginning to sound like a Romantic Comedy where we all run off to the airport in time to stop the girl getting on the plane.

Kamara or Borna this summer would be my guess. Maybe even both?

Still, if we're talking a minimum of £10 - 15m each I think that would see us alright for replacements.

Back