When the RC Church and Celtic united to stop players crossing themselves

mdingwall

Administrator
At the time Cardinal Winning said it was "prostituting their faith" for players to do it.

The hardcore bigots said Scotland was the only place in the world where it caused offence - I said on Radio Scotland it was the only place in the world where someone would cross themselves before launching an empty Buckfast bottle at an opposition supporters bus! :)

It's about conditioning - Seb Rozenthal - our Jewish player from Chile used to do it. Completely meaningless on a football pitch.
Remember when he signed and I’m sure it was Jim White who was just about peeing himself with excitement that Rangers had signed a player from Universidad Catolica and it was all about Rangers signing a Catholic… with the surname Rozenthal.

Just a meaningless superstition never bothered me still doesn’t bother me,Got to the stage sportsmen do it regardless of their religion,I would join in if Rangers ever won the champions league.

At the time Cardinal Winning said it was "prostituting their faith" for players to do it.

The hardcore bigots said Scotland was the only place in the world where it caused offence - I said on Radio Scotland it was the only place in the world where someone would cross themselves before launching an empty Buckfast bottle at an opposition supporters bus! :)

I wish our players would stop , maybe we’ll be more successful lol haha

Just a meaningless superstition never bothered me still doesn’t bother me,Got to the stage sportsmen do it regardless of their religion,I would join in if Rangers ever won the champions league.
I remember the 1st time I saw it properly.

Jairzinho after scoring in the W/C Finals in 1970.

The next day in the park every boy blessed himself after scoring through the jumper goalposts.

Come the start of the Scottish and English season a few weeks later, it was all forgotten and the Denis Law straight-arm celebration was back in vogue.

Ah, Oct 86 when Ted McMinn was in his pomp.

We discarded Dun Utd on the Tuesday and they beat Motherwell on penalties the following night.

Thomas Aquinas/Torquemade scoring the winning penalty shoot out goal.

Burns was a good footballer with a sweet left paw. He was also a bigot and a religious fruitcake.

Oh, and how come Paddy Bonner never got with the message?

Hay said that if any player crosses himself in the next month’s Skol Cup Final it could cause a riot.

Fast forward to this Final - Maurice Johnston stuck the head on Stuart Munro and ‘blissed hissel’ as he walked from the park after being sent off!
Is that what he did?
Sure you cannae see that on the footage , had that taped as a young laddie. I've probably seen that game 10 times and I've never been sure exactly what happened. Glad you've cleared it up!

Correct, it means f--k all if you can't play football.

Ostentations crossing & prominent handgliders are an easy pointer to WoS bigots. A player's faith tells me nothing.

It's being done by an enormous number of players everywhere

My neighbour (in Essex) is involved with junior kids 11-16 year olds schools coaching - & his own sons play non-league
He told me that a turkish kid who regularly attends the mosque & doesn't always make training if it's on a Friday because of that - still touches the pitch & crosses himself at the start of every game -
Probably because he sees it on TV & doesn't fully understand it's actual meaning

Every game on TV has various players sky pointing when goals are scored
Kaka - who was a devout 'born again' said he couldn't celebrate any goal he scored until he'd thanked God first in silent prayer

It makes no difference to me what act of religious 'devotion' anyone chooses to make - but I can't see why it needs to be done on the pitch personally

It's being done by an enormous number of players everywhere

My neighbour (in Essex) is involved with junior kids 11-16 year olds schools coaching - & his own sons play non-league
He told me that a turkish kid who regularly attends the mosque & doesn't always make training if it's on a Friday because of that - still touches the pitch & crosses himself at the start of every game -
Probably because he sees it on TV & doesn't fully understand it's actual meaning

Every game on TV has various players sky pointing when goals are scored
Kaka - who was a devout 'born again' said he couldn't celebrate any goal he scored until he'd thanked God first in silent prayer

It makes no difference to me what act of religious 'devotion' anyone chooses to make - but I can't see why it needs to be done on the pitch personally

Getn sent aff tae, Heh, Heh.

In the south stand that day, cuunty face mo at his games.

A reason why a lot of us didn't want him at Ibrox. I might add a lot of people who didn't go to Ibrox for games .

A bit like some on FF nowadays.
I can obviously only go with the way my old man told me how mental it was him signing. Watching that video makes me understand even more so.

In the south stand that day, cuunty face mo at his games.
A reason why a lot of us didn't want him at Ibrox. I might add a lot of people who didn't go to Ibrox for games .

A bit like some on FF nowadays.
I pointed this out on another thread. Johnston hated us should never been at Ibrox regardless of ability. I was behind Celtic dugout that day and got taken out by the polis when he got sent off.

Back