When the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts.

wontoofree

I've been watching Rangers for 60 years or so now, and have seen many many great individual players at Ibrox, often in the same team together, but I don't think I've seen a side where the 10 outfield players are so in synch with each other as they were in the last 2 League games against Hamilton and the Sheep. The ease with which they switched effortlessly from defence to attack, the interchanging of the front 3, the tracking back where necessary and the slotting in as cover for Tav and Borna when they go attacking was a joy to behold. A perfect display choreographed by SG and I have no doubt that the months of practice at Auchenhowie are now paying spectacular dividends, and will continue to do so for the rest of the season and beyond.

In no way am I decrying previous treble winning, League winning or European winning teams. This Rangers 1st team, and replacements, will go far under the stewardship of SG and the Board.

Last edited:
I've been watching Rangers for 60 years or so now, and have seen many many great individual players at Ibrox, often in the same team together, but I don't think I've seen a side where the 10 outfield players are so in synch with each other as they were in the last 2 League games against Hamilton and the Sheep. The ease with which they switched effortlessly from defence to attack, the interchanging of the front 3, the tracking back where necessary and the slotting in as cover for Tav and Borna when they go attacking was a joy to behold. A perfectly display choreographed by SG and I have no doubt that the months of practice at Auchenhowie are now paying spectacular dividends, and will continue to do so for the rest of the season and beyond.

In no way am I decrying previous treble winning, League winning or European winning teams. This Rangers 1st team, and replacements, will go far under the stewardship of SG and the Board.
They have been working on this for two years but for sure it has gone to a new level this season. Rangers used the Covid downtime very effectively.

As I said in another thread, the substitutions, if they are not tactical, are virtually seamless as well. Davis for Jack for example, against the sheep, was as seamless as you could get. The well oiled machine just kept rolling along.

I would say that I find this team more thrilling to watch than even the Dick Advocaat side. Still not at the level of the 92/93 side yet but they’re getting closer!

Ours is the definition of a team. It is one 'being' and acts like it. From Kent slipping into LB when Borna has bombed forward to Alfredo always on the move. They have new jobs within the team that are not just their 'position', well apart from the keeper, he does f all most games!

Ours is the definition of a team. It is one 'being' and acts like it. From Kent slipping into LB when Borna has bombed forward to Alfredo always on the move. They have new jobs within the team that are not just their 'position', well apart from the keeper, he does f all most games!
And long may that continue.

I’m 40 and I have toyed with posting this opinion for some time but haven’t had the guts/balls to do it in case I jinx it or get roundly laughed at.

Here goes.

This is the best coached side in my lifetime. We look absolutely ruthless and so well drilled that I honestly look at the games and think we will beat everyone we play. We may lack the stars of other eras but we have work ethic and a shape/system that is exceptional.

I ag
I’m 40 and I have toyed with posting this opinion for some time but haven’t had the guts/balls to do it in case I jinx it or get roundly laughed at.

Here goes.

This is the best coached side in my lifetime. We look absolutely ruthless and so well drilled that I honestly look at the games and think we will beat everyone we play. We may lack the stars of other eras but we have work ethic and a shape/system that is exceptional.
I agree mate

the team work and passing moves are as good as I’ve ever seen

Here goes.

Same here. The only problem I have is when we come up against the wee diddy teams, the 9 men inside their penalty box with 1 up front hoping for a breakaway goal, and if that doesn't happen just get a draw.

I'd back us against any team that doesn't 'park the bus'

Here goes.

Puts me in mind of the Liverpool way under Shankley, Paisley and Moran - the "boot room". They had a system and recruited players that would fit into the system as and when required. They did not go after the big name unless specifically needed.

Not an issue for us yet with SG, but they also maintained continuity of management and coaching. There was a thread a little while ago about Beale as manager or maybe Gary McAllister.

If you are going to use a model to build a successful club over the long term, you could not do better than Liverpool in the 70's and 80's.

Contrast with the issue in Scotland teams where they have been desperate to shoehorn Tierney and Robertson just because they have two good players who happen to play in the same position. Changing the system to include certain players makes it much harder for the other players to adapt.

I love the way players are chopped and changed and just slot perfectly into the system. If Roofe, Kent and Alfie click we’ll be in for a treat.

Here goes.

When we play high tempo, not many teams in Scotland will cope with that for 90 minutes. We are also going for the throat from the first minute, which the fans have been waiting for. Crush the opposition into the dust.

Have been saying for a while that the way we are playing reminds me of the days of Liverpool's famous "total football" which was a joy to watch as is our team now. :))

Latest posts

Back