When Tom English loved David Murray

Tom likes to make himself out to be the hip young gunslinger who strides those mean streets putting right to wrongs and dispensing the wisdom of the ages to the hoi polloi.

Nowadays he likes to claim he saw through David Murray first. But, the evidence says he loved the taste of Sir Dave's boaby rather a lot against that of ordinary punters who actually funded the club.

You can see with his profile picture it is in "His Eyes".

The article should be put on his twitter with one question. Who is still at Rangers, the R.S.T. or Murray?

Last edited:
"Get a move on... Don't worry whether anyone will give you credit for it... Be satisfied with even the smallest progress, and treat the outcome of it all as unimportant."
Marcus Aurelius

I tried to search for those old Tom English articles on the Scotsman website but I'm sure they've all been taken down.

Murray used guys like him and Chic Young to put across his view. The articles I found particularly revealing were when English attacked Martin Bain and praised Donald Muir - this was an indication of where the takeover was heading.

'Murray is entitled to dismiss those who won't give their real names'

Published Date: 18 January 2009
By Tom English
IF THE disaffected of Ibrox really want their voices heard there is one thing they can do that might help, one thing above all others that might have Sir David Murray, Martin Bain and Walter Smith giving them the time of day. When they go on their websites with their thoughts on the state of the club they could start using their real names instead of the ridiculous monikers they carry on with.
Is it any wonder that Murray and Smith have barely concealed contempt for these people when one of the leading voices on one of the leading fans' forums calls himself Grandmaster Suck?

Murray, and everybody else at Ibrox, is entitled to dismiss as irrelevant the thoughts of somebody who doesn't have the maturity to put his name to a posting. It is absurd that the chairman should be expected to pay attention to a lobby that won't even tell him who they are. If actual names, checked and verified, start appearing at the end of these messages on places like Follow Follow then Murray would sit up and take notice, for certain. You'd be talking about a captive chairman at that point. Once these guys climb out from behind the cloak of anonymity and say to Murray "right, here we are, out in the open" then they might get the respect they believe is lacking right now.

You only had to look at one of these websites last week to realise that those who think that Murray should be taking them seriously are deluded. For instance, would any of these revolutionary voices (a fair chunk of them making absolutely valid points) take to heart any criticism of themselves in their own day jobs if the analysis of their performance was signed by somebody called SpongeBobSquarePants as one of the more cogent evaluations of Rangers' plight was on Follow Follow last week?

Rangers people may indeed Deserve Better as the Rangers Supporters Trust motto goes, but if they feel that strongly about it they could at least identify themselves. They all know that Murray looks at Follow Follow. He complains about it from a position of strength. He checks it out. Quite often, I would suggest. If their club is going down the toilet, if the situation is as grave as all that, then why wouldn't the members stand over their own remarks instead of hiding like children behind nicknames?

Here's what I mean. After the RST made their announcement last week many threads started to appear on the website. The cyber fans formed a queue to endorse the We Deserve Better campaign, each one posting their thoughts. Here's a list of some of the contributors...

Mr Super Bad

The Gunslinger

tartan penguin

TheSnowman

JohnDarwinsCanoe

wordy rappinghood

Franky Four Fingers

Now, seriously, can any of these guys see a day when they're going to get a dialogue going with Murray?

"Ah, Mr Snowman, come in, sit down. Now I've read what you and Mr Canoe, Mr Gunslinger, Mr Penguin and Mr Rappinghood have said and as grown-ups I respect your opinions"

Get in the real world, chaps.

There was also a debate at one point, in the wake of Walter Smith questioning how many fans actually support the RST, and here again we had a long stream of people either saying they were members or saying they were going to join and not one of them appeared to use their real name, unless there's been a massive run on the Deed Poll office headed by Mr Runningbear and Mr Bubablue.

Now, there are people on websites who won't reveal their identity because they are bigots, because they have nothing at all to contribute bar their warped take on the world. I'm not talking about those clowns. I'm talking about the supporters who have something sensible to say, who are deeply worried (but not abusive or hysterical) about the recent developments at Ibrox – and there are loads of those. On Friday, I had a look for myself and there is plenty of lively debate and interesting thinking, plenty of heartfelt pleas and strong analysis of Rangers' plight.

Website convention dictates that you don't use your real name. Fair enough, change the convention. Make a statement. If you feel strongly enough about this then put your name to it instead of pretending to be a Gunslinger when, in fact, you're a bit of a coward. Banners calling for Murray to go will have zero impact on the man. It's a vacuous statement. As we've said here before: fine, Murray Must Go...and then what? Who takes over? Who stumps up the salaries? Who drives the operation? Nobody wants in. Nobody with money or the ability to take the club forward wants anything to do with it. Not now and not for the foreseeable future.

As Murray and Smith have pointed out, it's difficult to say how many people actually support the RST. Personally, I find them a hard lot to warm to what with David Edgar's stuttering and stammering in the past whenever my pal Graham Spiers asked him to explain why the singing of the Billy Boys was acceptable to some Rangers people.

Also, one of Edgar's deputies sent me an e-mail late last year which, to be frank, was pretty gross. I wouldn't be a huge fan of the RST, but each to their own.

They have followers, no doubt. There is concern, that's evident. But too many football supporters are faceless cyber warriors, all fire and brimstone with a keyboard at their fingers and as quiet as church mice when they're asked to go public. Franky Four Fingers will open no doors. Start naming names, boys. That's my advice. Really and truly, I can't see Murray taking a blind bit of notice of you otherwise.

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...iss.4887885.jp

Stand to attention you reprobates!

I would consider it an honour if I was on that list.

Whatever happened to Mr Super Bad? He was hilarious.

I still remember, with a wry grin, one response where he described his only needs on a night out with a particular young lady as being a darkened room, a single chair and some duct tape :D

Oh, and Tom Irish is a biased tit

I found Wordy Rappinghood funny, who is he now. Was it him and Spacemen_3 who were excellent in the lounge?

Whitehorse too? his story about punching someone in a wheelchair comes to mind.

What are thier handles now?

Does he still think this I wonder?

As we've said here before: fine, Murray Must Go...and then what? Who takes over? Who stumps up the salaries? Who drives the operation? Nobody wants in. Nobody with money or the ability to take the club forward wants anything to do with it. Not now and not for the foreseeable future.

GS points are valid...the Trust did it's best....the problem with fan groups within a club like ours is that it's a combination of too many views and not enough genuine "names" to cement the view of leadership within the support. The Trust at one time had a decent blend of known names but I think too many of the bigger names didn't want the baggage of being associated with taking on Murray and to be frank didn't want part of the broader views that go with being involved with the club-the harder core if you like. Paradoxically the church was too broad. Of course mistakes were made but with good intent.

The wider support is apathetic beyond the football and very narrow minded on how the club is run. Despite the recent history they will still stick with the power brokers if they think things are going in the right direction and of course the converse is true.

It's more complicated now due to the fact genuine Bears have saved the club-they've made some absolutely terrible decisions though.

The media protected Murray way beyond what was reasonable and frankly didn't even hammer him when he sold our club to a crook. The subsequent analysis of what happened to Rangers was non-existent....arguably the biggest story in Scottish football history and indeed one of the biggest scandals was left to internet debate and the like.

Through all of this the club still fails to grasp the issues at hand and we live in a crazy age of social media and goldfish opinions and absolute charlatans like English and before him Speirs have had free reign on attacking the club. It's a tragic reflection of journalism and indeed the custodians of the club.

I think this season on a lot of levels is heading for breaking point and I don't think those running the show have done anything other than left themselves and indeed us wide open. The new regime has let a few things slip and now have the burden of trying to fix both internal and external things both of which are tied together and fixing them are almost certainly not achievable in the short term.

I do hope the club absolutely challenges English and Stewart for their disgraceful comments yesterday. Even without the crushing the double standards on the reporting of fan incidents simply has to stop.

There used to be some great characters on here from the early 00s Feriens Tego ,The Gub, manfromdelmonte and Ayrshire Billy Boy just to name a few ,I wonder what happened to them ?

Back