When UEFA fined Ajax for using the 19th Century Terrorist word

It shouldn't matter if it was in a UEFA completion or not. What sort of example does it set? It's ridiculous what they get away with.

Yet the mentally challengeds had a banner saying 19th Century Terrorist army seems its ok for them they seem untouchable.

None of us like 19th Century Terrorists but they can call themselves whatever they like. The term 19th Century Terrorist is not offensive in isolation. Its being up to our knees in their blood is what UEFA have deemed offensive. They have actually played a blinder here because to some in our support it seems to have been a green light to sing about them with impunity.

We can argue until we're blue in the face about the meaning of 19th Century Terrorist and about them calling folk Huns and orange bastards. The facts remain are that UEFA deem 19th Century Terrorist as racist and as long as we keep using it in their tournaments then its going to cause us all sorts of bother.

Perhaps I'm getting this one wrong, but is the issue not the evolution of the word "19th Century Terrorist" from that of membership of a terrorist organisation to a derogatory term for a Catholic to a re-appropriation from the Celtic support to refer to their own supporters?

But it's ok for them to put it on a banner at the piggery

Probably a clumsy example, but is it not analogous to the use of the "n" word?

As stated earlier, there's clearly been a reclaiming of the word from Celtic fans.

I know a few more...intolerant folk who wouldn't use the word simply because it's used by them as well.

I also doubt anyone is thinking of a 19th century terrorist group when they're abusing the ref.

I dont but UEFA do. The article has been posted numerous times with their explanations as to what quantifues as a race t them. It's their competition. Their rules. Are you suggesting we challenge them in court? You think the board would be willing to humiliate themselves and generate animosity with European Footballs most powerful organisation just to appease the rights of the staunch to sing f bastard ? In what universe would this happen?

Why are you using f bastard in the same way as the N word ( as is used today) it has absolutely no similarities whatsoever?

There are many thousands of celtc supporters that in calling them 19th Century Terrorist bastards would fit like a glove.

They are 19th Century Terrorist bastards, we know it, they know it, they wear shirts with unrepentant 19th Century Terrorist bastards on them ffs!

Our fans now Singing that in a European sanctioned match is a totally different kettle of fish however.

To those asking why they can say or promote this word and we can't.
Complain to FARE.
Play them at their own game.
There are plenty of examples where they have promoted terrorism and used the word, so, take the examples and upload them and state you felt threatened by the use of this at a football match where thousands partake in sectarian anti British singing.
You want change, you need to make an effort for it.

Aye that'll show em!

Take it you weren't around in 2011 when many Bears did complain to the sham organisation that is FARE.

Their full details (including my pals )were then passed on to Celtc fc and its CEO Lawell, who then sent letters to the Bears in question - As clear a breach of the DPA as you'll see.

FARE and its CEO where sanctioned for this, a wee slap on the wrists.
They wouldn't even have recieved that but for a Bear on FF tenacity in chasing it till they were called to boot.

As we can see, the king is dead, long live the king with that bigoted organisation - They gave not one f*ck.

We know it's not but we've tried pointing out hypocrisy and double standards and it's fell on deaf ears.

Until we clean up our own act we've not got a leg to stand on in any such debate.
Say for example we sang Kumbaya... they would find something else to attack us about because this more than just about singing a song.

Its about who we are as a club and who we are seen to represent. For me this is political as we are hated.

Freedom of speech is dead in this country, say what you want about the US and Trump but at least they fight for and understand the value of allowing people of voicing their thoughts.

All we are interested in is not upsetting someone using words.

The old saying of sticks and stones no longer applies in Scotland

But hey, that's progress for you.

Freedom of speech is dead in this country, say what you want about the US and Trump but at least they fight for and understand the value of allowing people of voicing their thoughts.

All we are interested in is not upsetting someone using words.

The old saying of sticks and stones no longer applies in Scotland

But hey, that's progress for you.
It's not this county though, its UEFA that's banned it.

Say for example we sang Kumbaya... they would find something else to attack us about because this more than just about singing a song.

Its about who we are as a club and who we are seen to represent. For me this is political as we are hated.

I'm fairly confident we'd win the argument that Kumbaya (for example) isn't sectarian to be honest.

I'm fairly confident we'd win the argument that Kumbaya (for example) isn't sectarian to be honest.

you're missing the point! I'm saying we could sing that and it would be something else they would attack us for and then something else and something else

you're missing the point! I'm saying we could sing that and it would be something else they would attack us for and then something else and something else

I'm saying if we're singing non-offensive songs then we can defend ourselves with confidence.

Something we can't currently do. We don't have a leg to stand on while singing about 19th Century Terrorists, Bobby Sands & co.

Aye that'll show em!

Take it you weren't around in 2011 when many Bears did complain to the sham organisation that is FARE.

Their full details (including my pals )were then passed on to Celtc fc and its CEO Lawell, who then sent letters to the Bears in question - As clear a breach of the DPA as you'll see.

FARE and its CEO where sanctioned for this, a wee slap on the wrists.
They wouldn't even have recieved that but for a Bear on FF tenacity in chasing it till they were called to boot.

As we can see, the king is dead, long live the king with that bigoted organisation - They gave not one f*ck.
I was around and vaguely aware but I was a younger pup then.

I will continue to try and fight it regardless if it falls on deaf ears

Make them spend money on admin dealing with reports and complaints. Make them spend money on lawyers validating things.

It has to be better than nothing.

It’s like the old argument over the N word though. That’s been going on 50 years now and isn’t going to change. I’m afraid this is the same.
I am not advocating the use of the word 19th Century Terrorist at the match as we need to act smart and ditch it.
However, calling someone a 19th Century Terrorist due to their support of a terror organisation that routinely murders people for sectarian and even ethnic reasons, is hardly comparable to calling someone a word that is clearly racist and intended to offend due to its historical antecedents.

I think we should dispel immediately any notion that the terms live within the same social spectrums.

Personally, I have good reasons to despise 19th Century Terrorists, I live every day with the consequences of their criminal activities, they and their fellow travellers will never in my eyes be sanitised before society no matter how many of their friends inside organisations like FARE make political manoeuvres to enable it.
They are 19th Century Terrorist bstrds and will always remain just that.
I know the meaning of the word when I use it and I can refer to a dictionary to defend that use.

However, I can easily ditch the word inside Ibrox and other football stadia in order to protect my club and therefore my own interests.
This is a game that we can win and win easily.
We can control such a narrative.

As for those inside FARE that hate the club.
I suspect that they are just another parcel of 19th Century Terrorist Bastrds.
I go with the old adage that if it talks like one and walks like one!

How many who are posting on this thread have even bothered to read the link in the OP?

According to UEFA they punished the chant "We hate Celtic, 19th Century Terrorist Bastards" as a racist chant on April 28th 2011.

So that was over eight years ago now.

Ajax were punished over a banner that said "19th Century Terrorist Bastards" at their match on 6th November 2013.

Ajax tried to argue that they did not think the word was discriminatory and UEFA said that doesn't matter. I think Ajax were initially also ordered to close part of their stadium over this but that was taken off the table in the end.

The bottom line being that UEFA consider the use of the word "19th Century Terrorist", in the context of "19th Century Terrorist bastards", as an insult to the dignity of a person or group of persons.

So it doesn't really matter at all if the tims are using the word because the context in which they use the word and the context in which we use the word is clearly different.

Unless we want to argue that context doesn't matter?

At the end of the day UEFA deemed this word to be "racist" in certain context 8 years ago. So I doubt we are going to come back now and convince them otherwise.

There is no evidence at all that if we stop using this word in chants and songs at Ibrox then UEFA will somehow start coming after something else.

It seems that UEFAs reasoning is pretty clear on this actually. They consider the term to be racist and have done so since 2011. So chants containing this term in the context that we would use it will be deemed racist chants.

You want to argue the point then take it up with UEFA. As far as the club is concerned that ship has obviously sailed.

Doesn't really matter if the tims are using the word in a different context in different competitions under a different ruling body.

What tends to happen in Life is that corrupt people and organizations will always support each others agenda.
Celtic and it's supporters are morally corrupt, and we all know UEFA are financially corrupt.

We are fighting an uphill battle, with these bastards.

Don’t disagree with you MB, but the issue is what do we do about that ?

Not sure but the word 19th Century Terrorist is deemed ok in Scotland terms to use but Uefa saying it’s its not, strange.

It’s not deemed OK mate. People have been lifted for it.

What is different is that 5 Scottish clubs out of 80 or so voted for strict liability & that’s why at this stage domestic punishment hasn’t come.

It doesn't matter anymore. FARE can say whatever lies they like to UEFA concerning our songs and will be believed, and we'll be punished further. That's the inevitable outcome of not stopping FARE in their tracks years ago.
To be fair we tried to stop them years ago and got nowhere. Martin Bain told the media straight up that FARE were biased and out to harm the club. It didn’t make any difference, next game they were there again “observing”

How many who are posting on this thread have even bothered to read the link in the OP?

According to UEFA they punished the chant "We hate Celtic, 19th Century Terrorist Bastards" as a racist chant on April 28th 2011.

Ajax were punished over a banner that said "19th Century Terrorist Bastards" at their match on 6th November 2013.

Ajax tried to argue that they did not think the word was discriminatory and UEFA said that doesn't matter. I think Ajax were initially also ordered to close part of their stadium over this but that was taken off the table in the end.

The bottom line being that UEFA consider the use of the word "19th Century Terrorist", in the context of "19th Century Terrorist bastards", as an insult to the dignity of a person or group of persons.

So it doesn't really matter at all if the tims are using the word because the context in which they use the word and the context in which we use the word is clearly different.

At the end of the day UEFA deemed this word to be "racist" in certain context 8 years ago. So I doubt we are going to come back now and convince them otherwise.

There is no evidence at all that if we stop using this word in chants and songs at Ibrox then UEFA will somehow start coming after something else.

It seems that UEFAs reasoning is pretty clear on this actually. They consider the term to be racist and have done so since 2011. So chants containing this term in the context that we would use it will be deemed racist chants.

You want to argue the point then take it up with UEFA. As far as the club is concerned that ship has obviously sailed.

Doesn't really matter if the tims are using the word in a different context in different competitions under a different ruling body.

It is FARE who are deciding what is or isn't offensive and discriminatory, not UEFA. It is UEFA blindly accepting anything FARE want punished. FARE never heard the sectarian Orange bassa song at the Piggery towards De Boer or saw the PIRA banners. FARE are a biased and discredited group and Rangers should be publicly saying so.

It’s not deemed OK mate. People have been lifted for it.

What is different is that 5 Scottish clubs out of 80 or so voted for strict liability & that’s why at this stage domestic punishment hasn’t come.

I’m referring to the mentally challengeds using it mate on there banners T-shirts’ etc 19th Century Terrorist Army.

I'm not advocating anyone using the 19th Century Terrorist term, mate. Our problem is FARE and its campaign against us. Until the fans realise that FARE are just another part of the culture war against us, we are really up against it.
I think you've misunderstood, I don't want to hear 19th Century Terrorist at Ibrox, I want us to play the game as they have and get hun and orange bastard recognised on the same level.
It's easy for us to get rid of the songs, we did it before and they stayed away for years.
Their return was clearly in direct response to every other support being allowed to do as they pleased.
The not singing certain songs hasn't worked as it only applied to us, for me the best approach now is to fight to have these terms recognised equally so our fans see some parity.

Interesting thread stolen from twitter which shows in black and white UEFA's attitude to use of the word. If we want to play in UEFA tournaments (and possibly SPFL in the future) we need to play by their rules:

This is part of the ruling on Ajax unveiling a banner with the words ‘19th Century Terrorist bastards’ against Celtic in 2013. They were ordered to close the section behind the goal & fined €10,000. The reasoning is clear. Use the word and it will see your team punished. https://t.co/5fYtd1nZLl
Anyone asked Uefa what the sanction will be for this banner?

UEFA are not the law in Europe what is needed is clubs (with a pair, and obviously more than on, Ajax could do them retrospectively) take them to court and fight for freedom of speech.
Yes you cannot be racist (5 races are recognised), religiousabuse is not acceptable but individuals and words that offend certain people no.
A lot of National Anthems are tribalistic including our own therefore illegal under Uefa rules.
We as a club and fans should highlight ALL offences under their rules, fight fire with fire, and until told otherwise don't use the words they say are offensive.

Interesting thread stolen from twitter which shows in black and white UEFA's attitude to use of the word. If we want to play in UEFA tournaments (and possibly SPFL in the future) we need to play by their rules:

This is part of the ruling on Ajax unveiling a banner with the words ‘19th Century Terrorist bastards’ against Celtic in 2013. They were ordered to close the section behind the goal & fined €10,000. The reasoning is clear. Use the word and it will see your team punished. https://t.co/5fYtd1nZLl
So when they display 19th Century Terrorist army does any footy authority act?

No, we need to challenge it in court.

You want the club to go to court to argue that we should be allowed to sing a song with the word 19th Century Terrorist in it, knowing that that song is about being up to our knees in 19th Century Terrorist blood. And you think this is a good idea why? I’m glad your not on the Board advising on good PR moves. And uefa will love that challenge.

You want the club to go to court to argue that we should be allowed to sing a song with the word 19th Century Terrorist in it, knowing that that song is about being up to our knees in 19th Century Terrorist blood. And you think this is a good idea why? I’m glad your not on the Board advising on good PR moves. And uefa will love that challenge.
They use the same word in their own banners.
So how can it be sectarian?
Not possible.

They use the same word in their own banners.
So how can it be sectarian?
Not possible.

Two things - one is context which has been discussed already. We can argue this point and I’d agree that it doesn’t matter. However point 2 is key - it wasn’t in a uefa tournament that banner was unveiled. So quite what you want want uefa to do about it is anyone’s guess.

No, we need to challenge it in court.
You cant challenge UEFAs rules in court. If we went to the CAS about this we woukd be laughed out of court and rightly ridiculed for doing so.

If you read UEFAs judgement on Ajax its quite clear why they regard the F word as discriminatory - its a battle we wont win

Context of how the word is used, 19th Century Terrorist on it's own won't get you lifted, add a sweary word and you would.

You cant challenge UEFAs rules in court. If we went to the CAS about this we woukd be laughed out of court and rightly ridiculed for doing so.

If you read UEFAs judgement on Ajax its quite clear why they regard the F word as discriminatory - its a battle we wont win
They used the term "19th Century Terrorist bastards" on a banner, 19th Century Terrorist on the banner and nothing happens, context on how the word is used is important here.

I could walk along the road with a banner with the word "black" on it and nothing would happen, different context and add the word "bastard" beside it and i'd be jailed.

They used the term "19th Century Terrorist bastards" on a banner, 19th Century Terrorist on the banner and nothing happens, context on how the word is used is important here.

I could walk along the road with a banner with the word "black" on it and nothing would happen, different context and add the word "bastard" beside it and i'd be jailed.
Nothing happened? They had part of their stadium closed and were heavily fined

Read my post again.
Apologies

Aye, but their banner would make no sense. If the poets had a '19th Century Terrorist and proud' banner that woukd be ok with UEFA as well

The definition of 19th Century Terrorist is a liad of shit, but its not an argument we can win

Cant argue with what you have said, and until told otherwise we cannot as a support sing that word in a stadium.
But what is the legality of UEFA punishing clubs for using that word as it is not deemed illegal.
As for their definition of sectarian, racist or personalised abuse!!! All grounds in Europe would be closed down.
Action Rangers Football Club highlight every song that breaches their code of conduct. Even to the point of slagging off an opponent's player.
FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE

Apologies

Aye, but their banner would make no sense. If the poets had a '19th Century Terrorist and proud' banner that woukd be ok with UEFA as well

The definition of 19th Century Terrorist is a liad of shit, but its not an argument we can win
I'll bet that if you wrote a letter or email to UEFA and asked them to define the word 19th Century Terrorist and asked them to clarify what it meant, I'll put a wager on it relating to catholics, such has the word been weaponised by people like Haggerty and Findlay and they would be wrong just the same as UEFA are. It's quite ironic given the punishment they have gave us from one of the most corrupt organisations on planet football and still being investigated by the FBI.

Don’t disagree with you MB, but the issue is what do we do about that ?
That's the million dollar question GY.
Are UEFA an open-minded organization that will listen to what Rangers Fans have to say about the word 19th Century Terrorist. Explaining that the word factually refers to a Terrorist Organization?
We must have NI brothers who have suffered during the troubles at the hands of 19th Century Terrorist's and there family members who suffered before them before them.
Factual letters sent to those in UEFA to support their claim that they (19th Century Terrorist's) are a proscribed terror group and not a religious organization.

Let's not kid ourselves on how the word 19th Century Terrorist is perceived.

Collins dictionary.

19th Century Terrorist

noun
1. (formerly) a member of an Irish revolutionary organization founded in the US in the 19th century to fight for an independent Ireland

2. Irish mythology
one of the Fianna

3. derogatory, offensive
an Irish Catholic or a person of Irish Catholic descent

Well i wonder who came up with No.3 as it's a pile of shite.

That's the million dollar question GY.
Are UEFA an open-minded organization that will listen to what Rangers Fans have to say about the word 19th Century Terrorist. Explaining that the word factually refers to a Terrorist Organization?
We must have NI brothers who have suffered during the troubles at the hands of 19th Century Terrorist's and there family members who suffered before them before them.
Factual letters sent to those in UEFA to support their claim that they (19th Century Terrorist's) are a proscribed terror group and not a religious organization.

Back