When we win the league in 1987

Marstonbear

Older Bears will remember that day at Pittodrie with some affection. We went into the game 2 points ahead of them each with 2 games to play (2 points for a win).

It looked like the title wouldn’t be settled for definite until the final day until Falkirk scored an 86th minute at the Cesspit.

I recently discovered the highlights from that game below.

Amongst my favourite moments are:

The camera panning round a near deserted CP at ko time demonstrating their fickleness and the absolute shitehole that CP was back then.

Celtic going behind in the first minute then levelling after the break by virtue of a penalty given for a handball clearly outside the area (plus ca change)

Bonner making a complete hash of a weak shot to virtually throw the winning goal in

The faithful few heading for the exits as soon as the strike went in

The sight of Celtic scarves being chucked at their own players in anger as they went up the tunnel at FT.

Hopefully others will enjoy.

Schadenfreude Loyal

Wasnt the guy who scored the winner for Falkirk that day a relation of Jimmy johnstone and they were both spewing at it

It was an amazing day, Helicopter Sunday apart, my favourite title win.

First title I had seen us win and the celebrations were unreal, real emotion.

It was a day of incredible drama, I mind Radio Clyde breaking from a news bulletin to go straight to Pittodrie, Souness was being sent off, the 2nd half was so nerve wracking but we held on, what a family party we had that night. The Sportscene footage was brilliant too, remember David Holmes being interviewed and raising a glass to all Rangers fans around the world.

It was a sensational time.

A small band of us was in the Aberdeen end that day . We were in the pitch at the end and out via the beach end celebrating like never before .
Happy days .

I thought it was a clear penalty.

But for many years I thought there was a Santa.

No sporting integrity back then either.

On a serious note, how the f#*k can you give that??

What if we’d blown it at Pittodrie and they’d managed to win with that being awarded??

And how can a linesman who is side on award that when the referee is in the perfect spot to see it clearly??

How on earth did Pat Bonner remain Celtic goalie all those years? he always threw one in every other game, and as for Peter Grant the only reason he got a game was because he was a kid on hardman and a big mentally challenged who spent most of his time pointing or crossing himself.

My Subbuteo stadium was in better nick than that shitehoose.

I also worked with Sammy McGivern's daughter years later. She was a lovely girl.

Older Bears will remember that day at Pittodrie with some affection. We went into the game 2 points ahead of them each with 2 games to play (2 points for a win).

It looked like the title wouldn’t be settled for definite until the final day until Falkirk scored an 86th minute at the Cesspit.

The camera panning round a near deserted CP at ko time demonstrating their fickleness and the absolute shitehole that CP was back then.

Celtic going behind in the first minute then levelling after the break by virtue of a penalty given for a handball clearly outside the area (plus ca change)

Bonner making a complete hash of a weak shot to virtually throw the winning goal in

The sight of Celtic scarves being chucked at their own players in anger as they went up the tunnel at FT.

Schadenfreude Loyal

Knocked down a dump and built another

Mr Mcguire the linesman sure it was an honest mistake for the penalty
Even in the 80’s they were getting the breaks!
I was a Pittodrie in 87 and when the score came through, well you can imagine, great journey home that was.
Crawford Baptie :D , a name I have not uttered in many a year what a tumshie as My old Dad would say

Even in the 80’s they were getting the breaks!
I was a Pittodrie in 87 and when the score came through, well you can imagine, great journey home that was.
Crawford Baptie :D , a name I have not uttered in many a year what a tumshie as My old Dad would say
Yip was there also as you say the bus journey's home where eventful to say the least

Only just over 11 thousand at the game.
They also had only just over 10k against Clydebank in October when they were top of the league.
It's a myth they are faithful through & through.

It was also the first of 3 occasions where Celtc have lost the league in games against opponents with Gordon Marshall in goals.
some coincidence,
that tim forward line,
McGee, mcinnaly, johnstone, mclair,
jeezo, must have been top lg scorers at some point

Schadenfreude Loyal

Back in the days when players were allowed to celebrate at the Piggery.

Just won the league in Aberdeen and everyone was in high spirits and that included the driver of the bus.
Gary our bus convener bunged the driver to take the whole of Cumbernauld up to Aberdeen.
He forgot to tell him to stay out the pub and it was a hairy drive back home.
The good old days.....

Back