When you see a captain's armband - what's the first name that pops into your head?

He was a superb player and captain for Rangers so popular enough for me, good choice.

However, for me, Richard Gough is the man who forever holds the captain’s armband in my eyes for Rangers. A real leader in my opinion.

It was partly the England captaincy, and the iconic photos of him at the time that came into my thinking with Butcher.

King Richard is above and beyond that though.:)

When I think of Captains I always think of John Greig. However, for most of the time I watched him I don’t think we had armbands. So, if you’re bringing armbands into it, I’d have to say Richard Gough.

When I saw the black and white one in the picture I thought of Roy Keane for some reason.

Without the photo of the 'captain' armband it would be
John Greig.
But with the photo then
Barry Ferguson.

John Greig even though I only watched him play in his last season. That said it was a season he was a captain of a treble-winning team.

I think he was synonymous with captaincy in the way Goughie was for later generations and the way the gaffer was for Liverpool fans.

Odd but first thing i thought of was Robin Williams standing on a table talking a lota crap..... but for Rangers captains id say Gough.

Back