When you think of Teletext, what game comes to mind?

PunkScott

Facebook keeps suggesting the merchandise below to me. I doubt I'll purchase anything, but I like many of you on here spent many a Saturday watching games on teletext before I had Sky or the internet.

There are certain games that take me back to those days, being baffled by the red cards Hearts were receiving at Ibrox and I was curious if we could get more than 7 versus Hibs when Gazza got booked.

10-2 versus Keith sticks with me too. Cleland hat-trick?

What game comes to mind for you?
images

1990 Scottish Cup Final.

Was living in London. Watched the Palace-United final.

The Aberdeen-Tims game went to pens. You could go back to the tv and the page number would appear in the corner when it updated.

As each pen was taken the page number would flash up. Recall dancing round the lounge with delight when Celtic lost something like 10-9

The 4-4 old firm game from '85. I remember watching it on teletext/ceefax and Cammy Fraser's goal to put us 4-3 up, and Murdo McLeod's equaliser, were so close together that when the page refreshed it jumped from 3-3 to 4-4.

Everything from mid eighties onwards supporting Rangers whilst exiled in Surrey.

I don't think we had a telly with text until about 86 or so.

I had no living relatives in Scotland. You can't believe how difficult it was to find out information from 400 miles away in the same funking country.

Bamboozle ;)

if it's Rangers games, it has to be either the Hibs game in 97 when we were 3-1 down and came back to win 4-3, I think the radio connection went out and I was sitting watching the game on teletext as I usually did at that time on a Saturday afternoon or the Shelbourne game when I was away on holiday, noticed we were losing 3-0 so I stopped bothering with the text as we were getting humped

an hour later, we had won 5-3 :D

The 4-2 new year game at the stad de Gadd.
No ticket, new girl friend, hated the tranny.
Gets in and we’d already scored.
Pour girlfriend a wine, telly flashes 2-0.
A wee bit amorous and it’s broken by the third goal.
She insisted I switch telly off or she was out.
At 3-0 I felt safe enough to switch telly off.
Three minutes later, it was back on.:)
Okay, I’m kidding, it was two minutes.
Funnily enough, we only had one more date.

Just thinking, would this make a good daily tale for H&H?

Edit: no poll to follow.

The 4-2 new year game at the stad de Gadd.
No ticket, new girl friend, hated the tranny.
Gets in and we’d already scored.
Pour girlfriend a wine, telly flashes 2-0.
A wee bit amorous and it’s broken by the third goal.
She insisted I switch telly off or she was out.
At 3-0 I felt safe enough to switch telly off.
Three minutes later, it was back on.:)
Okay, I’m kidding, it was two minutes.
Funnily enough, we only had one more date.

Just thinking, would this make a good daily tale for H&H?

Same as mine - My game below?

A real weird one as I was struggling on the sofa wanting to spew so was some bird at yours!

Bamboozle was immense

Shelbourne at tranmere

I remember as a young lad I was round my pals house when the shelbourne game was on. My pals mums boyfriend was a Tim and he was telling me shelbourne were 3-0 up. I didn't believe him til he showed me the score on Teletext

Bamboozle ;)

if it's Rangers games, it has to be either the Hibs game in 97 when we were 3-1 down and came back to win 4-3, I think the radio connection went out and I was sitting watching the game on teletext as I usually did at that time on a Saturday afternoon or the Shelbourne game when I was away on holiday, noticed we were losing 3-0 so I stopped bothering with the text as we were getting humped

an hour later, we had won 5-3 :D
:) :) :) bamboozle,I remember that.

To be honest I don't particularly remember following games on that if they were on the radio as I would rather listen to it live rather than a good few minutes behind on there.
It was more the English games if I had a football coupon on or if the old man was waiting on one horse to win the placepot and waiting for the race result .

Edit now I think about it I do remember seeing that we got a 2-2 a draw against them when woods and butcher got sent off on teletext on a tv in the hutchisons shop in the pollok centre after I left the house in a rage when they went 2-0 up,what a great surprise that was for me and another random guy next to me who discovered it the same way :)

Last edited:
4-3 game at Easter road. Went out the house in a rage after we went 3-0 down in the first half, came back in a while later to check again and it was 4-3 us!

Battle of Britain, think was a 5 minute delayed coverage at Ibrox, couldn't help myself. 1 minute, McAllister, raging

The title decider versus Aberdeen. I was a wee boy watching teletext in a tv shop in Stranraer and remember running round the castle green celebrating then Hately scored.

Battle of Britain, think was a 5 minute delayed coverage at Ibrox, couldn't help myself. 1 minute, McAllister, raging
Was it not a two hour delay for the Ibrox game,I remember being at my gran's house with all my uncles watching films so none of us knew the score before watching it.

MoJo scoring v them when I was at my gran and grandads. I remember he wasn’t delighted with the signing. Then he was getting the score for that game on teletext and didn’t know what to do with himself when it came up with goal and scorer. I think that few seconds of sheer confusion and trying not to be ecstatic when we scored v them changed him a little and definitely on MoJo.

The game at Tranmere against that Irish Mob, switched on for the score and we were being beaten 3-1. Then our goals just kept popping up

Funnily enough it's one of their games.

Sure it was the same day we best Motherwell in the Scottish Cup Semi and went back to the pub for a few after.

The score changed to Hearts 2 Harbourers 1 - Scorer to.follow (was Austin McCanns screamer)

Pub went nuts!

Rangers swoop for Romanian ace Hagi - one of those adverts where you have to phone the number to hear the story

Back