Where are the Billionaires?

Punpun

I've seen Liverpool just placed their staff on furlough. The same premier league leaders with a brand value of £1.3 billion. To me, this looks like nothing more than a multi-billion pound institution trying to cheat and find loopholes in a system designed to help small businesses through the taxpayer's aid, who are now losing out because of the greed of these clubs. And they're almost certainly the first of many.

It raises one question for me, directed at frauds like John Henry and all the other fat cats sitting on billions but trying to squeeze money out of the public. Where are you? You've been eerily quiet throughout this whole pandemic, and it's very strange how you seem more than happy to chuck £50 million on one player during a transfer window, but come begging the government for help when it comes to paying your staff the money they need to survive.

I've seen so much on how EPL footballers are selfish, how they can be doing more to help, etc. but we seem to be overlooking these billionaires hiding away trying to extort money from taxpayers again. Why do we direct all the blame towards people that actually donate huge sums of their wages towards charities and ignore the people who actually have all the money?

To see all this unfold is absolutely awful. I think the actions of some of these owners gagging off for Tory money is utterly shameful, and they're the ones we should be pressing to make a difference - not just the footballers.

Where are the billionaires ?
Well id imagine on some sunny beach getting oral off some hot blonde in a bikini whilst getting richer ?
I guarantee hes not standing in a que outside Asda waiting for a loaf of bread.
Joking aside, they are thinking of ways to stay a billionaire and not give it to the people who sweated for it.

I've seen Liverpool just placed their staff on furlough. The same premier league leaders with a brand value of £1.3 billion. To me, this looks like nothing more than a multi-billion pound institution trying to cheat and find loopholes in a system designed to help small businesses through the taxpayer's aid, who are now losing out because of the greed of these clubs. And they're almost certainly the first of many.

It raises one question for me, directed at frauds like John Henry and all the other fat cats sitting on billions but trying to squeeze money out of the public. Where are you? You've been eerily quiet throughout this whole pandemic, and it's very strange how you seem more than happy to chuck £50 million on one player during a transfer window, but come begging the government for help when it comes to paying your staff the money they need to survive.

I've seen so much on how EPL footballers are selfish, how they can be doing more to help, etc. but we seem to be overlooking these billionaires hiding away trying to extort money from taxpayers again. Why do we direct all the blame towards people that actually donate huge sums of their wages towards charities and ignore the people who actually have all the money?

To see all this unfold is absolutely awful. I think the actions of some of these owners gagging off for Tory money is utterly shameful, and they're the ones we should be pressing to make a difference - not just the footballers.
The furlough scheme was not solely designed to help small businesses.

My main stance on furloughing staff is to keep the pressure off the NHS. The fact folk are still taking home a wage of sorts but getting to sit at home and stopping people from going to work and continue to carry out social distancing is very much worth the government paying.

Shame there will be companies out there who know they don't need to furlough staff because they are cash rich but do it anyway to just be more cash rich is very sad in the current climate.

Really really bad form from John Henry. The bad publicity Liverpool will get from this will not go unnoticed by sponsors.

Not only is it morally wrong but financially it is too.

It sickens me the whole lot of it this is what football has become run by greedy rich men that are hell bent on sucking every last penny they can out of the working people to enjoy the game

If these teams go into the transfer market spending millions after abusing the scheme it tells you all you need to know

Really really bad form from John Henry. The bad publicity Liverpool will get from this will not go unnoticed by sponsors.

I bet you it does go unnoticed.
If Adidas will sign with celtic after their sordid events unfolding in the media, then i’m sure Liverpool will be fine having furloughed their staff.

Fat cats only care about money.

Having lost 50% of my income over night with zero support for the government as per the current scheme, it is astounding that this is being allowed to take place. Footballing businesses run by billionaires looking to save a few quid whilst their multi-million pound assets continue to earn more in 2-3 months than most will in their lifetime.

It sickens me the whole lot of it this is what football has become run by greedy rich men that are hell bent on sucking every last penny they can out of the working people to enjoy the game

If these teams go into the transfer market spending millions after abusing the scheme it tells you all you need to know
Liverpool really want that Mbappe transfer sorted

The English teams using the furlough scheme will no doubt be linked with multi-million pound transfers as soon as they are back playing football.
It definitely doesn't seem right that they are getting tax-payers money to pay their existing staff, then will possible spend tens of millions acquiring new assets and increasing their wage bills too.
If clubs do need to furlough to stay in business then there should be a price - perhaps excluded from paying transfer fees for a window or two (free transfers would have to be allowed to replace lost players).

All businesses have a duty to shareholders. If they can receive government support, they will take it. Simple as that.

Some Premiership clubs will Lose 100€milion before the end of the year.

I don't find it strange.

Although I don't agree with their actions, I understand them.

It’ll make no difference to any sponsor. As long as they see value in it, morals won’t be a factor.

All businesses have a duty to shareholders. If they can receive government support, they will take it. Simple as that.

Some Premiership clubs will Lose 100€milion before the end of the year.

I don't find it strange.

Although I don't agree with their actions, I understand them.

They have an alternative, if there is anyone who cannot work from home then they lay them off.

The Premier League is contributing over £7.8 billion a year to the U.K. economy, thats over 10% of the estimated cost of the entire furlough scheme. I get the point about taking money from players salaries to cover the wages of non-football staff, but they are a massive part of the tax revenue and may make vast amounts more than us, but also pay vast amounts of tax. Why shouldn’t they see a direct benefit from that in such unsure times, when they are unlikely to ever take out anywhere near more from the system than they put in?

The English teams using the furlough scheme will no doubt be linked with multi-million pound transfers as soon as they are back playing football.
It definitely doesn't seem right that they are getting tax-payers money to pay their existing staff, then will possible spend tens of millions acquiring new assets and increasing their wage bills too.
If clubs do need to furlough to stay in business then there should be a price - perhaps excluded from paying transfer fees for a window or two (free transfers would have to be allowed to replace lost players).
And when they make those multi-million pound transfers and sign players on £100k a week, they will very quickly pay back what they have taken out through the furlough, through the tax liability in all of that, probably in the course of one transfer window. Why would we prevent them from doing that, once their revenue returns?

I get the OP sentiments, and not disagreeing.

But it is only fair to highlight the extraordinary amount of tax revenues the EPL generate. Only when I realised the tax implications if players defer or reduce their wages did I realise it's not completely straightforward.

What is straightforward though is that the burden should fall on the wealthy in the EPL to do more. They make more than enough from their footballing careers, advertising and commercial sponsorships that there is a solution out there for them to support the country, and they should find it.

I lost my passion for the premier league a while ago, and the actions of several clubs mentioned means it is highly unlikely I will be turning in again any time soon.

I get the OP sentiments, and not disagreeing.

But it is only fair to highlight the extraordinary amount of tax revenues the EPL generate. Only when I realised the tax implications if players defer or reduce their wages did I realise it's not completely straightforward.

My first thoughts on reading the OP - and Liverpool wouldn't be slow in telling people that they plough tens of millions into the British economy via income tax, national insurance and other contributions - and at a much higher tax bracket than many others.

For me, the real obscenity will be if companies like Amazon, Starbucks, Apple, Google, etc, get the begging bowl out, despite having repeatedly dodged paying UK income tax for years.

My first thoughts on reading the OP - and Liverpool wouldn't be slow in telling people that they plough tens of millions into the British economy via income tax, national insurance and other contributions - and at a much higher tax bracket than many others.

For me, the real obscenity will be if companies like Amazon, Starbucks, Apple, Google, etc, get the begging bowl out, despite having repeatedly dodged paying UK income tax for years.

Agreed. That lady's front bottom Branson is a loathsome prick.

Sitting in their living rooms, piles of cash all around them - probably in their pants.
They will be for sure eating caviar and drinking their Henri IV Dudognon while scrolling endless forums and getting lost in the odd youtube wormhole. I am sure if it

I was going to bring up amazon. The fact the owner had to pay his missus 38 billion for a divorce, is obscene.

Us and our children willl be paying for all this for years. Government doing right thing but abused by some as always, I think in time they will look where cash went and if companies had money and possible To pay wages at this time they will look to retrieve it.

Us and our children willl be paying for all this for years. Government doing right thing but abused by some as always, I think in time they will look where cash went and if companies had money and possible To pay wages at this time they will look to retrieve it.
The country has came through much much worse than this.

Daniel Levy - £1 billion
John Henry - £2.6 billion
Maxim Demin - £110 million
Fat Scumbag - £2.6 billion

All of these owners have requested their clubs join the furlough scheme because they dont think they have enough money
Thats unreal isnt it. Takes the piss outta the family restaurant who needs the scheme to keep their waitresses from losing their jobs.

Agree government doing right thing but as always it will be abused by the few

Well that’s weird. Just checked the key workers list and there’s no billionaires on it. Can’t see any people who are paid millions in bonuses either. It’s almost as though it’s all a sham and they’re not actually worth shit!

I can see this becoming the beginning of the end for the EPL club owning billionaire plaything types.

EPL clubs are probably losing between £3-6 million a week right now in wages. Once cash reserves are burned through who covers these losses? Even a billionaire couldn’t cover £5m a week for 4/5 months especially as they’d have to do the same with their other businesses as well at the same time.

Daniel Levy - £1 billion

All of these owners have requested their clubs join the furlough scheme because they dont think they have enough money
Wonder how much they will all be worth after this is all finished.

Although I agree with your post OP most billionaires will have their money tied up in various shares, investments and properties.

I’d say two world wars , millions of people killled on all sides, generations of families wiped out. This is the most serious thing this generation has ever faced but nothing compares to what people have in the past.
From blackouts to food rationing the things people went through then are ten times worse, we can still go out, the shops are stocked with food, people still working.
Although any death is regrettable there won’t be as many people die from this as those events and we came through those.
Yeah fair enough. Worse in a generation would be the best phrase for me to use

Daniel Levy - £1 billion

The guy Denim wi the 110 million could be in danger of collapse if minty murray is anything to go by.

Remember he had over 100 million yet sold us for a quid. Or so we were told.

As FF member Raffles, once said to me.

"Rich men don't write checks"

It is always the working man who pays in the end, in my opinion.

truly think after all this cash that has been thrown around and society get back to some kind of a normal functioning place, then the working class in this country will feel the burden for generations. Interest rates will skyrocket to the Thatcher era, for a kick off.

Back