Where Are They Now? - Gregor Stevens

Killie player was called Albert Morrison. The injury basically ended his career, he ended up playing junior.
I was at that match as well. Stevens hit the boy Morrison high up on his shin. Straight red card, up the tunnel, and Greig didn’t look the road he was on.
Morrison played junior with Auchinleck Talbot after being reinstated.

Was at a sportman's dinner 3 weeks ago where Gregor was in attendance and John Gahagan was a speaker.

Some great banter from Gahagan at Gregor's expense, which was taken in good nature and they both seemed genuinely pleased to see each other.

Personal memories from his playing days were he had a striking resemblence to Frank Spencer, that innocence evaporated when he took the field. His tackling was ferocious verging on brutal at times - some real red mist moments.

Possibly remember seeing 2 players stretched off against Patrick Th. At Ibrox.
Victims of the bold Gregor :oops:

Stevens was a poor footballer. My least favourite Rangers defender after Craig Paterson, who I actually saw getting booed by Rangers fans during a warm up as he could not control the ball in part of the warm up exercise.

Stevens used get serious abuse every other week from the enclosure at Ibrox.

Not a player I remember favourably. I was in the stand at Rugby Park when he broke Albert Morrison's leg in a friendly. It was one of the worst 'tackles' I have ever seen on a football pitch. He got a 6 months suspension for it and it ruined any chance we had of winning the league that season.

I will never forget a tackle at Firhill when he won the ball and drove the Thistle player into the stand in a single tackle.

Remember mcloy fumbled one at home against porto , maybe 83.
He was done by then.
I was behind the goal at the Porto game when a harmless cross came over and McCloy collided with one of his own players and dropped the ball at the feet of a Porto player who stroked it in the empty net. The ironic thing was that we were leading 2-0 and had basically been played off the park by an excellent team. I never understood why McCloy kept getting the jersey when he made so many blunders over the years.

I actually went to the away leg in Porto where we lost 1-0 and have never been so terrified at a game in my life. The hostility was palpable with around a 1000 of us fenced inside a small section where missiles were flying over regulary and even the ball boys were giving us abuse. We were kept in there until the stadium emptied and i was relieved to get back to our hotel in one piece!

Stevens was a poor footballer. My least favourite Rangers defender after Craig Paterson, who I actually saw getting booed by Rangers fans during a warm up as he could not control the ball in part of the warm up exercise.

Stevens used get serious abuse every other week from the enclosure at Ibrox.
Not only at Rangers but Leicester too , he was a bomb scare to put it mildly

I met him in the John Brown Training Unit at Clydebank about 30 years ago. He was delivering engineering tools. He introduced himself. Nice guy.
:)

Looks can be deceiving. Always thought Gregor looked quite effeminate, especially his face as if he was in drag, then you would see him half someone and then someone else. Pretty brutal if my memory serves me. Those were dark years.

First Rangers player I ever met in the flesh.

Think I was 8 at the time.... Junior Cup Final at Ibrox.

My dad and him knew one another...old man asked me if was wanted his autograph...said naw as I don’t know him.:D

Must have been an awkward moment.

I was behind the goal at the Porto game when a harmless cross came over and McCloy collided with one of his own players and dropped the ball at the feet of a Porto player who stroked it in the empty net. The ironic thing was that we were leading 2-0 and had basically been played off the park by an excellent team. I never understood why McCloy kept getting the jersey when he made so many blunders over the years.

I actually went to the away leg in Porto where we lost 1-0 and have never been so terrified at a game in my life. The hostility was palpable with around a 1000 of us fenced inside a small section where missiles were flying over regulary and even the ball boys were giving us abuse. We were kept in there until the stadium emptied and i was relieved to get back to our hotel in one piece!
That home game was my first European one! If I remember correctly it was pouring that night though, so may have been the excuse of a wet ball.

A player capable of extreme brutality at times, he had a special pincer type tackle where he would take the guy out with one leg and when he was falling finish him off with the other. I’ll be charitable and say he only did this when the red mist descended.

When operating normally, his play comprised of taking one touch to control then launching it forward. Not necessarily a bad tactic in those days.

And then on rare occasions he would have a great game, usually against lower quality opposition, mind one such against St Johnstone at Ibrox in a cup replay. If I remember correctly, St J had an absolute c*nt of a player called John Pelosi, big Gregor got the better of him that night.

A strange player altogether.

Can’t remember the game but my abiding memory of him is he makes a tackle and lands on the deck, the ball is about 2 feet away and like a fish he flops over and try’s to header it, thanks for the memory’s Gregor.

A player capable of extreme brutality at times, he had a special pincer type tackle where he would take the guy out with one leg and when he was falling finish him off with the other. I’ll be charitable and say he only did this when the red mist descended.

When operating normally, his play comprised of taking one touch to control then launching it forward. Not necessarily a bad tactic in those days.

And then on rare occasions he would have a great game, usually against lower quality opposition, mind one such against St Johnstone at Ibrox in a cup replay. If I remember correctly, St J had an absolute c*nt of a player called John Pelosi, big Gregor got the better of him that night.

A strange player altogether.
I think he tried to be harder / tougher than Tam Forsyth to be onside with the fans.

I just think he was brutal tbh

An absolutely mental player, he was what he was, but gave his all and though not a legend, he certainly made his mark (© 80's Bears).

His wife Sally had a very important job after the big man retired.
She was the main Slimming World Rep for virtually the whole of the North sid of Glasgow.
A great many of you owe her a lot of gratitude for doing her bit to keep your ladies pumpable.

The big man's a bear stop slagging him off.

I've heard John gaghan talk too many times and it's made me bitter toward a man /player I never ever seen. I hate John gaghan so much oh my word I hate his act so much

Not a player I remember favourably. I was in the stand at Rugby Park when he broke Albert Morrison's leg in a friendly. It was one of the worst 'tackles' I have ever seen on a football pitch. He got a 6 months suspension for it and it ruined any chance we had of winning the league that season.
If we were relying on gregor to help winter league we couldn't have been much use. :)

Spoke to Gregor regularly a few years ago when my older lad played in the same team as his son.
Team was based in Kirkintilloch

In the copland that night, saw big Peter rise above everyone and catch the ball. That's that we said. Next thing ball in net, couldn't believe it

I've heard John gaghan talk too many times and it's made me bitter toward a man /player I never ever seen. I hate John gaghan so much oh my word I hate his act so much
Really? I quite like him, he certainly tries to give his audience value for money. Funny guy but I guess he's not for everyone.

Played against him in a reserve game v Rangers around 40 years ago.
I stupidly nutmegged him , only to receive 3 fair but body shattering tackles that i still remember today.

I think he’s being done a bit of a dis-service here. Yes he was prone to a crazy tackle or two or more to be fair but he racked up over 200 appearances between Motherwell and Rangers. And many of them were at a time when there weren’t many shrinking violets in British football and plenty of higher profile hardmen. I think it was more his technique or lack of it that made him look more wreckless.:D

There, that’s me done my kind act for the day.

Last edited:
I was at that match as well. Stevens hit the boy Morrison high up on his shin. Straight red card, up the tunnel, and Greig didn’t look the road he was on.
Morrison played junior with Auchinleck Talbot after being reinstated.
I used to know Albert through work ,did he not end up the Manager of a Ayrshire team?

Back