Where did it all go wrong for Deportivo La Coruna?

drgriffen

Didn't realise they were in such a bad way.

Article looking at how it all went wrong:

Current league table:

Quite a few clubs in Spain have been in similar decline over the years

Real Zaragoza, Osasuna, Malaga, to name a few.

All dreadfully mismanaged.

They were sitting bottom of segunda division and well off the pace at xmas but went on a really good run and won eight or nine games in a row to get out of relegation.

Remember it well , deportivo had a Brazilian winger with bent legs he was fantastic to watch , djalmino I think , also remember they had a centre half built like mike Tyson who was like a rock . Sad to see their decline
Just watched the highlights there, another ex Rangers player in the team, Jerome Rothen......

They were sitting bottom of segunda division and well off the pace at xmas but went on a really good run and won eight or nine games in a row to get out of relegation.

I watch their games (or highlights) most weekends as my brother in law is a Depor fan (he’s from La Coruña). They’ve been on a great run, despite losing to Zaragoza(who are leading the segunda) at the weekend, they are one of the form teams in the league.

Interestingly, La Coruña is a really small city(by Spanish standards) and only just sneaks into the top 20 biggest cities in Spain. In the late 90s/early 2000s they were punching well above their weight.

Another classic was their 4-0 win against AC to overturn a 3-0 1st leg defeat.

One of my favourite non rangers game I remember watching. It was 4-1 at the San Siro and deportivo came back and won the 2nd leg 4-0. Should have been double the amount of goals that night it was such a free flowing game

Went to Malaga last home game last season.
Was hoping for a title party but they like us imploded after Xmas.
They made the play offs but lost out on promotion after leading the table.
Done the tour as well ,but when their rich backers pulled out it all went pear shaped.
Were minutes away from the CL Semi finals but unbelievably they lost 2 goals in overtime to Dortmund ,with Pellegrinni at the helm.

On the tour there is a replica of the stadium with all 30,000 seats individually replicated.
Superb work from the artist

Bebeto 1994 WC was something special:

ThreadbareBreakableFairybluebird-size_restricted.gif

They were a cracking team in the early 00’s! Totally lost their way the past 10 years or so, pretty sure they have bounced between La Liga and Segunda a few times?

Went to Malaga last home game last season.
Was hoping for a title party but they like us imploded after Xmas.
They made the play offs but lost out on promotion after leading the table.
Done the tour as well ,but when their rich backers pulled out it all went pear shaped.
Were minutes away from the CL Semi finals but unbelievably they lost 2 goals in overtime to Dortmund ,with Pellegrinni at the helm.

On the tour there is a replica of the stadium with all 30,000 seats individually replicated.
Superb work from the artist

At the miramar shopping centre just outside fuengirola they also have that model there as well it's a great looking thing

I was working in nearby Ferrol shipyard in 1996 when John Toshack was their manager and would watch them when they were at home. They had a really good team then but their fans were mental. I remember when Toshack stood in front of them at one game with a megaphone and called them animals. He didn't last long after that. We used to meet Toshack at La Coruna airport sometimes when we had leave back home and he was a real a**ehole whenever we tried to speak to him. One time when we tried to congratulate him on a good result the night before he told us to f**k off and leave him alone. An absolute tosser.

They had a great team , won la liga in 99/2000 I think , Roy Maakay, Tristan, djalminhia was unbelievable - go on youtube and see the skills he had !!!!!

Didnt we have Tristan over to sign, sure the club was pushing this to try and clear debt. He would of been some player for us tbh

Back