Where Did It All Go Wrong

The key people manager, new signings, director of football, boardroom level just aren’t very good at their jobs.

Don’t think we have ever spent money £2m+ on a signing thats actually fully worked out and been worth it.

Look no further than a disastrous transfer window - I left Pittodrie incredibly worried in January, my gut feeling telling me we were bang in trouble, I was right.

We had the same opportunity as the reptiles to strengthen our squad preparing for domestic success but we left it all to chance.....look where chance got us!!

We should of put that mob to the sword making them suffer for years.

I can't believe we allowed this to happen, they have rebuilt a depleted squad in 6 months and it is looking incredibly realistic they might win another bloody treble.

Sickening!!!

Last edited:
It's been difficult to find motivation to write when things aren't going well, but its important not to hide too.

I do believe we'll sort it out eventually but this season hasn't been good enough on any front from the board, DoF, Manager or squad.

Where Did It All Go Wrong?
The signs were there in preseason most just choose to ignore them in blind faith

Problems started in the summer, coupled with the Malmo shocker against 10 men. We needed to move a couple of players on and re-invest if we could have.

Some of the players in our squad will see 55 as their ultimate achievement which wont be beaten, but that was us just getting back and we should have been kicking on from there.

It's been difficult to find motivation to write when things aren't going well, but its important not to hide too.

I do believe we'll sort it out eventually but this season hasn't been good enough on any front from the board, DoF, Manager or squad.

Not backing Gerrard in the transfer market and subsequently losing our whole management team.

Failing to properly fund Stevie G in the summer, banking on beating Malmo to finally give him funds, that didn't happen he got itchy feet and we rushed into getting Gio because most of the fans wanted him. We didn't stop for a minute to think if there was someone better. And January recruitment was shite.

Lack of investment in the playing squad / reluctance to sell supposed key players when there stock was at a high point / poor poor recruitment in January when we need some quality for that final league push

Players have massively under achieved this season drawn too many games especially from a winning position. For some reason there's no fight no aggression in the team. Most of our players are too passive that wont change.

Knocking back bids for players in the summer that would have allowed us to freshen up the squad.

Who's call that ultimately was we'll never know.

Getting the managerial appointment in November wrong.
There wasn’t one meaningful bid knocked away

The Boards reluctance to invest and back the manager in the summer led to our gradual decline. If the Board had backed the manager I'm sure he'd still be here and we would be out of sight.

I understand the Board were trying to balance the books a bit, it's just a shame that it's had this huge affect on us.

The team largely contains the same players who have done this 3 seasons out of 4. We need to enact the player trading model we said we were going to have. These players thought winning 55 was all that mattered. The team should have been freshened up in the summer. We lack hunger, desire & a winning mentality. Last year was the exception

The Malmo game.

Folk tend to forget how well we played in the first half, and I would really like to know what went on in the dressing room at half-time.
From memory, the malaise set in around 30 minutes, after we had scored and just before they went down to ten men. Not the first time this group of players have retreated into their shells after taking an ealy lead.

The key people manager, new signings, director of football, boardroom level just aren’t very good at their jobs.

Don’t think we have ever spent money £2m+ on a signing thats actually fully worked out and been worth it.
It’s been hit or miss on £2m+ signings. Kent, Hagi, Roofe, Goldson, Barisic have all been good signings however for each of them there is a Grezda, Itten, Bacuna, Lafferty!

Motherwell game at Ibrox. Lack of bottle and incompetence combined. I knew then we didn't have the heartfelt courage or desire to deliver 56.
It was the defeat in Livingston that ended our unbeaten run that I knew this was going to be a loooong season. Even then I still expected us to just manage to get the title over the line. I hadn’t foreseen the mob across the city getting their act together so soon.

Honestly? In hindsight, the minute Gerrard was sliding about our changing room floor. We all loved it at the time, but it was no way for a Rangers manager to act and its no surprise we then went out to Slavia over the next 10 or 11 days, given the players were allowed to go mental with alcohol whilst there was still a lot to play for. It was totally unprofessional.

It's also clear, given how things have panned out that the management and most of the players seen winning a title as mission accomplished, instead of seeing it as a springboard to go and win more.

Then out 2 subsequent transfer windows can only be viewed as an utter shambles. We assumed that we were miles in front and it would take Celtic years to put together a side that could challenge us. It was utterly complacent. Pretty much every major decision the club has made in the 12 or so months since we won the title has lead us to where we are now. Playing catchup. Again.

And we've handed our only rival, who already have a financial advantage a further financial advantage. Utterly scunnered with how this has played out. From utter joy to despair in less that a year!

At least as long as we all agree this year has gone terribly terribly wrong, it seems others on here think this all is OK and it's not.

This season is a f*cking disaster

No summer transfer activity, losing to Malmo, Gerrard leaving, lack of investment of funds in January, knee-jerk manager appointment, poor results, pumped by Hibs, two OF defeats. This season has been an utter shiter.

Just been looking at the season stats. Excluding the first 7 games and including today, the tramps have played 26 league games, won 23 and drawn 3. That's comparable with our form last year and its very unlikely that a team will produce these results for more than a season which may explain our drop off to an extent this year.

However many points raised in earlier posts are also relevant

Fans accepting absolute dire performances and using the old old "I'm just happy we won" patter.

The warning signs for me that Gio was the wrong appointment was in our 1-0 win at home v Covid hit Dundee United. We clung on to our ONE goal lead against utter dross instead of closing the goal difference. Ironically we almost lost an equaliser right at the death when they hit the bar.

Fans on here saying they had no issues with the performance. It was horrific and a sign of things to come.

Lack of investment from a position of strength in the summer.
Everything else stems from that.
We absolutely had to sell some players with their stock high and freshen the team up in the summer. We have been relying on pretty much the same core of players for 4 years now.

The Malmo game.

Folk tend to forget how well we played in the first half, and I would really like to know what went on in the dressing room at half-time.
They had a man sent off, and then the expectation of winning was firmly on us, and we dropped off and stopped working as hard. And also the decision to play Balogun over Helander cost us dearly

Lack of investment from a position of strength in the summer.
Everything else stems from that.
With hindsight you’re probably right mate , but we should have been able to beat Motherwell , beat hearts at home beat Ross county be better against dundee utd , our European performances show we can play well .

Just been looking at the season stats. Excluding the first 7 games and including today, the tramps have played 26 league games, won 23 and drawn 3. That's comparable with our form last year and its very unlikely that a team will produce these results for more than a season which may explain our drop off to an extent this year.

However many points raised in earlier posts are also relevant

They lost 3 and drew 1 of their opening 7 though. They took 10 out of 21 points.

They should have been 8-11 points behind at that points and they would have probably sacked their manager. Instead, we did our best to keep them in it.

They lost 3 and drew 1 of their opening 7 though. They took 10 out of 21 points.

They should have been 8-11 points behind at that points and they would have probably sacked their manager. Instead, we did our best to keep them in it.
Tbh even if we’d have been 8-11 points ahead I’m still not sure we wouldn’t have blown it.

Why don’t we wait to see what happens next Thursday and Sunday. All this premature negativity is nonsense whilst there is still stuff we are involved in.

I feel we had to invest in the summer. I also accept we are in the red and Gerrard was front loaded in terms of transfer funds and we probably had to sell to bring anyone in. Lundstrum and Sakala are good business as far as free transfers go but there should have been investment to freshen the squad.

The board are made up of good business people thats obvious but on the football side of thing's they are hopeless not willing to spend the money to move us on , terrible footballing decision making inept to say the least .

Back