Where do we think we could strengthen?

Last night was a worry , we struggled to break down a packed Stranraer defence , Defoe was not effective in that system and remember it took a Morelos sub to turn the game against Kilmarnock.
Barker and Ojo no thanks and Jones did nothing to state his case.
For me this needs looked at and and the striker role I would suggest right now.

We deffo do require another attacker/striker but i wouldn't base too much on last nights game

I would say yes, because ojo can play there, aribo can play there although wrong side for him he is a lefty so could slot in there, ojo the same, but he prefers cutting in from right. And if jones pulls his finger out he can play both flanks. Arfield plays right if aribo switches, even Morelos drops deep and floats out wide. Plenty of cover for me for wide areas.

We may have enough numbers but the quality is lacking. If we lose Kent to injury we are struggling big time. Especially after last night I think Gerrard will bring in another attacking option. This league may be won my a very small margin and we can’t afford to be relying on Jones, Barker or Ojo to produce what we need!

We may have enough numbers but the quality is lacking. If we lose Kent to injury we are struggling big time. Especially after last night I think Gerrard will bring in another attacking option. This league may be won my a very small margin and we can’t afford to be relying on Jones, Barker or Ojo to produce what we need!
I do agree with you that we could do with more quality. But there’s loads who believe jones is quality, ojo is raw but needs to show he can be trusted to give a bit more, Barker’s is rank rotten, but I’m not sure the gaffer is going to go and spend that money. If any of those mentioned leave then yeah he’ll need to spend some, but they need to be real quality to get in the squad.

I do agree with you that we could do with more quality. But there’s loads who believe jones is quality, ojo is raw but needs to show he can be trusted to give a bit more, Barker’s is rank rotten, but I’m not sure the gaffer is going to go and spend that money. If any of those mentioned leave then yeah he’ll need to spend some, but they need to be real quality to get in the squad.

Yeah we probably won’t spend now but I’d take a loan until the end of season. Anyone who could offer a goal threat would be very welcome.

Last night has me slightly worried about squad depth.

If Borna, Morelos or Kent get injured, we’re really struggling to replace them.

For that reason a backup left-back, attacking mid/winger and a striker would be my priority.

I would love to see us strengthen but I am maybe being greedy. Do we really think we will in this window? SG always keep his cards close to him but he has said any additions looks unlikely.
It will be interesting to see how things play out as we know the mentally challengeds have already spent money and it seems like they will make more additions too.
I wonder how these decisions will impact the rest of our season at such a crucial time?
When we are this close, you've got to wonder if it's best to stick or twist.

I think we need another striker. I posted on another thread, concerned Alfie could accumulate a few more reds which will cost us in a critical part of the season.

Defoe is a great guy to have around, but honestly sometimes he just isn't all that suited to the physicality / how we play. He's the best finished in the country by some way. It's my personal opinion, but I'd be looking for another physical striker this window, someone who can ideally look to challenge for number 1 spot next year if Alfie leaves. It's all gone quiet on that Mohamed fella?
I said elsewhere in the thread, that for me Defoe needs a partner when he plays either as a starter or substitute. He’s a different kind of player than Alfie, not a like for like replacement. At the moment we have Ojo and Stewart as options. While they arent terrible, they don’t have the same physicality as Alfredo, and both are as likely to have a go themselves as feed Defoe. A number 8 or 10 who is good at creating chances for others to put away would be ideal as they could partner Defoe when he plays and also provide cover for or Kent. Ideally you would bring in a winger as well, but if cash is tight an inside forward could cover both situations even if it means changing shape when Alfie isn’t available.

I think we need another right winger, Aribo has played well in thay position but it still a position that worries me

We could strengthen up front and right back. Other than those two positions I think our squad has good depth.

I feel we could do with another goal scorer who can play in along the front three. Defoe is excellent back up but someone else who will chip in 10 goals between now and the end of the season would be excellent business.

X 4 needed who can challenge these positions:

Left back,
Striker,
Backup left and right attack

Yes, I am declaring I want better than Barker and Jones in the squad.

It really shouldn't be hard to beat St Mirren and Hearts without Morelos but i do agree we need another attacking player in, not necessarily a striker for me but someone who can play in the front 3 and score goals
It will be tougher than you think without Tav and Alfie.

Imo we need another striker in, Alfie is obviously first choice and Defoe is brilliant deputy but i feel we could do with a different option for some games!

Back