Where does Arfield fit in?

El Chapo

Official Ticketer
It’s a good problem to have I suppose but what do you reckon? I don’t think it will be in the midfield 3 so will it be on the left again ahead of Jones, Murphy and possibly even Kent?

Would be surprised to see Kent back to be honest and it looks like Stewart is the 3rd choice striker. I reckon it will be between Arfield, Ojo, Jones and Murphy for the 2 sports alongside the striker.

If Arfield continues on from his form at the end of last season then he will be one of the first names on the team sheet.

The position he finished last season in. Off the striker but more centrally than wide.

With Ojo (or Kent or Jones/Candeias/Stewart/Hastie - options ,eh?) playing wide on the other side.

For me, he starts in our best 11.

It’s a good problem to have I suppose but what do you reckon? I don’t think it will be in the midfield 3 so will it be on the left again ahead of Jones, Murphy and possibly even Kent?

As I said on another thread, I see him playing in one of 2 narrow positions behind the striker, just as he ended last season.

Great goal threat and good, intelligent link up play.

He'll have plenty players breathing down his neck if his form drops.

He was impressive at the end of the season behind the striker, but we must also not forget he is more than adept at playing in a midfield 3. He can be an impressive box to box player who is capable of putting a foot in and arriving late for goal scoring chances.

Him, Aribo, Kamara, Ojo and Kent would destroy most of the domestic fodder. Whereas in an Old Firm game, you might want him with Jack, Davis and Kamara.

Pretty much the same as the end of last season, on the wing but sitting a bit narrower. He's flexible enough to be able to do it on either side so if Kent doesn't come back I'd say Arfield on the left and Ojo on the right.

He's much better when he starts higher up the pitch rather than deep in a midfield 3, allows us to get the best out of his talents.

I think in our strongest 11 he’ll play as an inside forward coming in off the left (if we don’t have Kent). He’s a clever, hard working player who has a big goal threat and someone who Gerrard seems to rate very highly.

I would play him in a midfield 3 supporting the striker. His greatest strength is the timing of runs into the box and I think we have better options if we go wide or narrow front 3.

Think Gerrard ideally wants guys on both sides of a front 3 who can both score and play like a conventional winger. If he can’t have that then he’ll want a conventional wing option on one side and a scorer on the other.

At present i’d say our current option’s skillsets (and likely steadying order) are:
1) Ojo. Looks pretty damn great at both.
2) Arfield. Great scorer. Not so good as a winger.
3) Jones. Good winger. Also scores at times.
4) Candeias. Good winger. Not been great at scoring, recent exploits notwithstanding.
5) Stewart. Good at scoring but needs to play inside. Not a good winger. Probably seen as second choice to Arfield in games where width not so important.
6) Murphy. Very good on the wing. Good goal return. May not be fully fit.
7) Hastie. Young and unproven but very good potential at both.
8) Kent. Great winger. Not good goal return but could improve. Ranking low because we don’t actually have him!

I think Ojo and Arfield May well be a starting pair with Arfield left (as i’ve recently learned that’s his preferred side). However if Jones shows a flair for goal, Murphy returns to fitness and form, we sign a left sided striker and keep Morelos, or we resign Kent, then Arfield will have stiff competition due to his limitations in going wide.

I can also see him playing in a midfield 3 in games against weak opponents where we think any 2 of our midfielders will be enough to boss it and Arfield can then play further forward.

Arfield is a starter for me, one of the most intelligent players we have with workrate to match. The difference this season is that he’ll need to maintain high standards to stay in the starting 11 as the squad competition is so much better. Nice problem for Gerrard to have, it’s building nicely.

Starts in the front 3 with a choice of Ojo/Jones and the lone striker (Defoe/Morelos)

Jones has started well. But let's not go overboard just yet. Arfield is a key player for us

It's all about Quality. Which seems to be the media's favourite new expression

Everyone fits in, everyone will play at least 30 games this season and everyone will have played their part in our treble success

Reckon he will fit nicely onto the bench
96981-EC7-DD73-4397-943-A-04-F6-F86-DAFF2.jpg

Arfield and Ojo as 2 narrow forwards behind Defoe or Morelos is my guess but there is extreme competition for places which is great, everyone will have to be at the top of their game.

Arfield wont "fit in" anywhere, he will hopefully play as many games as he possibly can being that he is one of our best players

There is no way you can think jones, candeias, Hastie, Stewart or even ojo despite early promise can be deemed better than arfield.
Well personally I think Jones will be the player to match possibly even better than Arfield, then again it’s all about opinions

Well personally I think Jones will be the player to match possibly even better than Arfield, then again it’s all about opinions

I don’t understand what you could have seen last season that would give you this opinion though. Holding out hope that jones will be the better player in the future is fine but absolutely nothing suggests he is a better player now.

Where he wants.A huge player for us this season.
Hopefully play in the same position he finished the season .More up front playing off Defoe.At the moment we have an ‘embarrassment of riches in midfield especially.

Arfield is one of only a handful of first picks.
McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Davis, Arfield & Morelos the rest of the spaces are up for grabs over the season, he can play anywhere and do a job but we saw the best of him at the tail end of last season when he played in the hole getting a few goals in the process.

If we don't get Kent I reckon he'll tuck in on the left just behind morelos ie defo

This for me. We played our best stuff with him playing this role. Great link up play with Defoe and scoring a good few himself. He’s a starter in our strongest eleven.

No Kamara ? He’d be just about first player on the team sheet for me. He’s been a game changer for us.

If you leave out the odd disaster and indifferent game....I do think a lot of our support have amnesia.

He looks very very talented, a no brainer for the fee but a long way to go to be a consistent performer for us. But he's got time to adapt and settle.

It's really hard to imagine what the "best" line up will be...I could see Ojo playing where Arfield does but there are a lot of variations open to the manager....the balance wasn't right last year and for me Arfield whilst settling into a game had some very indifferent spells. Davis was slow to start. Jack took a dip in form. Kamara had some poor and indifferent games.

They've all either got to sustain a better level of performance or be replaced by new faces...at this stage it looks a good situation to be in but if we stutter a bit you can bet it will be said SG should have left well alone.

Arfield is one of only a handful of first picks.
McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Davis, Arfield & Morelos the rest of the spaces are up for grabs over the season, he can play anywhere and do a job but we saw the best of him at the tail end of last season when he played in the hole getting a few goals in the process.

I'm not so sure Morelos is an automatic first pick mate.

He's got serious competition from Defoe.

Would be surprised to see Kent back to be honest and it looks like Stewart is the 3rd choice striker. I reckon it will be between Arfield, Ojo, Jones and Murphy for the 2 sports alongside the striker.

If Arfield continues on from his form at the end of last season then he will be one of the first names on the team sheet.

I think Murphy will struggle to get a first team spot, it will take him a while before he can get up to speed, after a serious injury like he's had.

Back