Where does Morelos rank in the last 20yrs?

Loyaljock

Was watching the highlights of his Porto goal and listening to the the crowd chanting his name afterwards, I couldn’t recall the last time a player (striker) had such adulation from the Ibrox faithful.

Got me thinking, where does Buff sit in terms of ranking against our top strikers from last 20yrs?

Mols, Boyd, Miller, Flo, Arveladze, Negri, Novo, Lovenkrands, Naithsmith, Prso, Jelavic, Cousin

Think I’d have him sitting quite respectably in the top 3:

• Mols
• Prso
• Morelos
• Jelavic
• Negri
• Boyd
• Novo
• Miller
• Lovenkrands
• Naismith
• Arveladze
• Cousin
• Flo

Appreciate different players etc. I’ve went for strikers that offer more of a rounded play with there goals.

Last edited:
Was watching the highlights of his Porto goal and listening to the the crowd chanting his name afterwards, I couldn’t recall the last time a player (striker) had such adulation from the Ibrox faithful.

Got me thinking, where does Buff sit in terms of ranking against our top strikers from last 20yrs?

Mols, Boyd, Miller, Flo, Arveladze, Negri, Novo, Lovenkrands, Naithsmith, Prso, Jelavic, Cousin

Think I’d have him sitting quite respectably in the top 3:

• Mols
• Prso
• Morelos
• Jelavic
• Negri
• Boyd
• Novo
• Miller
• Lovenkrands
• Naismith
• Flo

Appreciate different players etc. I’ve went for strikers that offer more of a rounded play with there goals.
At the risk of being pedantic, Negri was over 20 years ago.

The pre-injury Mols would be top- although if i was to be even more pedantic then that would be just over 20 years ago as well :p But other than that I wouldn't be swapping Morelos for any of them.

Of that list I only have Mols above him but come the end of the season if his improvement continues I believe he will top that list.
Edit:They say you get great scorers and scorers of great goals, I think he is combing both at the moment.

Had Jelavic above him but Morelos has surpassed him this season.

I think now I'm willing to put him ahead of Mols as well simply because peak Mols was 4 months worth of football and even then Morelos has scored nearly twice as many him in the same time frame.

All round he's the best centre forward since Hateley.

would wait until the end of this season to see what else he is going to deliver IF it goes the way we all hope and he delivers 55 then he will be a club legend forever

It’s not a bad list OP.

I think Alfie has the potential to be number 1 though, the others we had them at their peak as the finished article, but at 23 there’s still another level Morelos can reach. But at this exact moment then yes, number 3 is probably fair.

He up there with That’s for sure.

All about personal opinions, I loved Mols and Jelavic but Morelos is now as good if not better.

Just remember how good Mols was before he got injured, had he not got injured he would have been one of our best ever.

I’d have at number one right now tbh.

Maybe that’s just down to it being here and now but the boy has the lot. And his potential is frightening

Last season there was an Alfredo thread every day. Some believed he should be sold immediately, some thought he would develop into the player he has become and many (like me) were somewhere in between. It is a mark of the player and just as importantly of our management team that he is now quite rightly being mentioned in the same breath as Prso, Jelavic and Mols.

Jelavic still no.1 for me at this point by virtue of his goals leading to Cups and League titles....that could all change though...

At the risk of being pedantic, Negri was over 20 years ago.

The pre-injury Mols would be top- although if i was to be even more pedantic then that would be just over 20 years ago as well :p But other than that I wouldn't be swapping Morelos for any of them.

thanks for making me feel old :)

Does anyone know where he ranks in the all time list of goals at the current age he is?

I can only think of DJ and mccoist that had scored more goals for us aged 23

Can't find the stats on brand, mcphail etc

Does anyone know where he ranks in the all time list of goals at the current age he is?

I’d love to know the answer for this too.

Mols, Jelavic and Miller in his second spell are still ahead of Alfie for me.

However, If we bag some silverware this season then I would have Alfie moving ahead of Miller and Possibly Jelavic.

Massive potential for the wee man to go on and be a huge player on the European stage now and that is down to the management team (and no doubt Defoe) getting his head in the right place.

If you'd asked me at the start of the season I would have said he was still behind Jelavic, but he's improved his all round game to such a degree this season - his dropping deep to pick up the ball and spray cross field passes has been a particular highlight - that I think he's edged ahead of him now and I'd suggest it's fair to say we're watching the best forward we've had at the club since Hateley or McCoist (a pre injury Mols was as exciting a player as any I've ever seen in the royal blue, but you're really only talking about four months we saw the best of him).

I imagine Jim Forrest would be top of any most goals first - he had 83 by the time he left Rangers aged 23, with Derek Johnstone at, I think, 79 goals at Morelos age.

I imagine Jim Forrest would be top of any most goals first - he had 83 by the time he left Rangers aged 23, with Derek Johnstone at, I think, 79 goals at Morelos age.

Good shout. Wiki says Forrest hit 145 goals in 163 games in all comps. Holy fluck.

Considering everything from his all round ability, physical presence, pace, and lethal finishing he's up there with the best strikers I've seen at the Club and if you take into account his age and further potential he could go up another level whilst with us I feel.

Incredible talent and lets make the most of him while we can.

You cant put Mols above Morelos, of course you can say if it wasn't for his injury etc but at the end of the day he did get that injury and never went on to be as good as he would have been.
Still breaks my heart thinking about that injury though, what a player he was and amazing to think he was nearly 30 and never played at top club.

Until he wins something for us and starts to torment the Yahoos on a regular basis then that will always count against him in any analysis.

Morelos is right up there with anyone we’ve had over that period. For me he’s better than Prso and Jelavic and although Mols was technically better, Morelos offers more in terms of goalscoring. Boyd was a great goalscorer but Morelos is easily a better overall player. The most dangerous striker we’ve had since McCoist. The chances are very slim but if Morelos stayed for another 10 years he would probably go down as our best ever in that position. He really does have the lot and he’s getting better. A brilliant finisher, strong, brave, quick, links up, consistent, skillful, scores with his head and off both feet. He’s a terrific striker.

Alfie would be near the top of the strikers we have had.
He would have fitted into any of our successful teams.
Imagine the goals he would have got in Advocats team

50+ goals in a two and a half year spell that we won two titles, a Scottish Cup and played in the Champions League group stages twice.

Yeah, ridiculous.

We are talking individual players here. Stick Morelos in that team and we do even better. Morelos is a hugely better player than Kenny Miller ever was.

Morelos also has 50+ in just over a year!

I’d love to know the answer for this too.

Technically, at the same age as Morelos is now, (23 yrs and 5 months), unless i am mistaken in my calculations, McCoist had scored 55 goals for us, compared to Morelos's 67.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

We are talking individual players here. Stick Morelos in that team and we do even better. Morelos is a hugely better player than Kenny Miller ever was.

Morelos also has 50+ in just over a year!

Kenny was winning things, scoring in cup finals, in Europe and against the Yahoos. Miller could play as a lone striker or with a partner. He was hard working and had a range of finishes.

I’d have to try to compare them on relative feats which is hard over the different eras. I’d put Mols at number one because he was genuinely unplayable against the best in Europe at times. Morelos would be number 2 though. He is ragdolling Tier 2 in Europe on his own at times, something that none of the others did. Prso, Jelavic and Naismith all are similar next level. Exceptional players but who relied more on service around them. Prso had Alfie’s strength and creative ability but lacked his finishing and benefitted from a goalscorer playing off him. Jelavic was a similar level of goalscorer to Morelos but needed service. Naismith could have been the complete package but could never stay fit for long enough to show it. Miller and Flo down a level again as they also needed more support around them but didn’t have quite the same exceptionalism in any one area. And then the rest either never really elevated themselves in Europe (Boyd and Negri) or were very much part of collective efforts rather than individual talismen (Novo and Lovenkrands).

So Alfie number 2 from that list for me. But I suspect he will go much further in the game than Mols after Mols was cut down in his prime.

Last edited:
No.1 for me.

In five years time when he is tearing it up in one of the bigger leagues we will all be asking how on earth did we land him for £1m
This.
Mols had he not been injured would have obliterated Scottish football like a tsunami, in my opinion.
However, Alfie is still only 23 and the next two to three years will see him emerge a more rounded and game aware player and when that occurs he will be at the very top of the game's structure.

Alfie is one of those players who will get better and better with every passing year.

Not certain but I think he is already number 2 in our list of all time top european scorers and only 6 goals off equalling McCoist’s record.

He’s done it in 2 seasons...

Correct. Except Alfie has 70
And by the same age, DJ had 102
(Although to be fair, he started at 16, whereas McCoist and Buff both started in their early 20's.)

I'd say Morelos is probably the more prolific of the 3 if you compare similar ages/ timeframes).

Not certain but I think he is already number 2 in our list of all time top european scorers and only 6 goals off equalling McCoist’s record.

He’s done it in 2 seasons...

I know what you're saying, but it's 3 seasons actually. He was at the club for the defeat by Progres under Pedro. If we're being fair to McCoist.

Back