Where does Morelos rank in the last 20yrs?

I just double checked, and he's actually ahead of mccoist by some distance for goals at same age.

So just now that's only DJ, who had 100 goals for us aged 23.

Not bad though if it's only Johnstone ahead of you

Wasn’t aware of that DJ stat. Impressive.

Until his goals turn us into winners there will always be question marks.

This team are currently vastly overrated imho but become silverware botherers and he will rocket up the charts.

The level of hysteria is slightly distressing and perhaps a reflection of where we've been.

"We would have won a European trophy under Advocaat if we had Morelos" - a team that included players that had actually won the Champions League.

It's bonkers and perhaps is an age thing. Morelos is doing well and we'll get a financial reward for it but people are going over the top and also comparing him to players who played in a more 'normal' environment for Rangers and Scottish football.

Until his goals turn us into winners there will always be question marks.

This team are currently vastly overrated imho but become silverware botherers and he will rocket up the charts.

You change your mind like the weather and I'm not sure if you just try too hard to appear as some sort of football guru.

How can you say the team is overrated when there is a thread here with a lot of people saying they haven't won anything?

At the risk of being pedantic, Negri was over 20 years ago.

The pre-injury Mols would be top- although if i was to be even more pedantic then that would be just over 20 years ago as well :p But other than that I wouldn't be swapping Morelos for any of them.

This post makes me feel old as hell

Also worth remembering, for objectivity, that some on list: DJ especially, faced MUCH better domestic opposition. SPL is at a low ebb right now.

You change your mind like the weather and I'm not sure if you just try too hard to appear as some sort of football guru.

How can you say the team is overrated when there is a thread here with a lot of people saying they haven't won anything?

I am saying NO ONE in the team is a legend or 'best ever' as they've done nothing. When they convert potential to delivery then I am 99% sure we will see them graded more appropriately in the list of 'top ten' strikers, midfielders etc.

Also do we mean striker or footballer? Alfie has lots to learn re weight of pass, when to pass and not shoot, and the like. He's not yet a 'great player' but it will come. However one on one, with back to goal he's already better than Super Ally for example.

I am saying NO ONE in the team is a legend or 'best ever' as they've done nothing. When they convert potential to delivery then I am 99% sure we will see them graded more appropriately in the list of 'top ten' strikers, midfielders etc.

Look forward to the next thread about it, see what you decide then ;)

We seem to be getting into a frenzy these days with legend, best ever, ranking of players who are currently with us.

I cannot do anything other than admire a young guy who plays for us, as I have done over the past near 50 years of watching our team , and hopes he will join the greatest ever in our ranks by winning something before he inevitably moves on.

From a personal perspective I can see this guy going onto heights never seen by any of the previous strikers I have seen playing for the club.

Morelos has been an awful lot better for Rangers than Miller was in his best spell with us. 20 more goals in a shorter period. You could also argue his performances in Europe are beyond anything Miller produced in any competition.

Miller predominantly played Champions League football for Rangers, in a tougher competition I would expect a slightly less than level of performance as such.

I can't even imagine the difference in goals between Boyd and Prso, I would imagine it must be ridiculous - the difference between the two is a chasm though.

It isn't always solely about goals.

Miller second time around helped elevate a team that in reality was less than those they were facing to be more than them, and that did end with trophies on the table.

Rangers have often went into league races in the last 15 years as second favorites spending less than Celtic and moving on our better players yet overcoming Celtic - it was in part because of the
contribution of players like Miller that was possible.

The harsh reality is in recent seasons, part of the reason we have failed in Cups hasn't actually even been budget related etc - last year we were knocked out by Aberdeen - a side we are more than.

Morelos is an excellent player, no one is talking him down.... it's just that a lot of our fans have lived and seen what "good" Rangers looks like

Last edited:
There was a thread last year where I got pelters for saying he was more complete striker than Prso, Mols or Jelavic. I'm not likely to change my tune now - especially as 20 years excludes pre-injury Mols.

There are other good players on that list but I think Mols was the only other one who actually scared teams the way Morelos does

Prso helped to drag a pretty, in all honesty, dross team to a title in 2004/05

Celtic were flogged as such by then but our top 10 appearances that season included...

Novo a 450k signing from Dundee
Marvin Andrews a bosman from Livvy
Bob Malcolm
Hamed Namouchi
Steven Thompson...
Alex Rae

I would doubt any of them would get near our team now, at peak clearly rather than current age etc.

Miller predominantly played Champions League football for Rangers, in a tougher competition I would expect a slightly less than level of performance as such.

I can't even imagine the difference in goals between Boyd and Prso, I would imagine it must be ridiculous - the difference between the two is a chasm though.

Miller second time around helped elevate a team that in reality was less than those they were facing to be more than them, and that did end with trophies on the table.

Rangers have often went into league races in the last 15 years as second favorites spending less than Celtic and moving on our better players yet overcoming Celtic - it was in part because of the

The harsh reality is in recent seasons, part of the reason we have failed in Cups hasn't actually even been budget related etc - last year we were knocked out by Aberdeen - a side we are more than.

Morelos is an excellent player, no one is talking him down.... it's just that a lot of our fans have lived and seen what "good" Rangers looks like

Miller's not a bad comparison in many ways. His work ethic, desire to improve, chasing and harrying ability, speed and instinctive finishing are all similar. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Alfie picked up some of that from Kenny as he looked like an out and out poacher in Finland.

I think Morelos though is much physically stronger which allows him to show off his link play better and roll defenders in a way Miller couldn't.

The biggest difference though is Morelos' flair. He has an x factor Miller never had to do something out of the ordinary. Miller would never have scored either of Alfie's last two goals. He might have got the one against Livi a different way by running across the defender and using his experience to put him in a position he couldn't be tackled but he wouldn't have got anything out of the Porto "chance"

Miller's not a bad comparison in many ways. His work ethic, desire to improve, chasing and harrying ability, speed and instinctive finishing are all similar. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Alfie picked up some of that from Kenny as he looked like an out and out poacher in Finland.

I think Morelos though is much physically stronger which allows him to show off his link play better and roll defenders in a way Miller couldn't.

The biggest difference though is Morelos' flair. He has an x factor Miller never had to do something out of the ordinary. Miller would never have scored either of Alfie's last two goals. He might have got the one against Livi a different way by running across the defender and using his experience to put him in a position he couldn't be tackled but he wouldn't have got anything out of the Porto "chance"

I don't agree on the last part at all personally, by the time he left second time around Miller had some excellent goals on his CV.

Does anyone know where he ranks in the all time list of goals at the current age he is?

I can only think of DJ and mccoist that had scored more goals for us aged 23

Can't find the stats on brand, mcphail etc
McCoist wouldn’t have he joined us at 22.

Until he wins something for us and starts to torment the Yahoos on a regular basis then that will always count against him in any analysis.
No it won’t. Medals are won by the team and a goal against St Mirren means just just much as a goal against Celtic if we win and collect 3 points

You’re often talking about team achievements when it comes to Miller. If you genuinely feel he was a better striker than Morelos then I fear for your sanity.

You’re often talking about team achievements when it comes to Miller. If you genuinely feel he was a better striker than Morelos then I fear for your sanity.

Miller was excellent during his second spell with Rangers and his individual performance did accelerate and lift the team performance yes.

His contribution to Rangers during his second spell probably did out weigh what we have had from Morelos thus far.

I don't agree on the last part at all personally, by the time he left second time around Miller had some excellent goals on his CV.

All Rangers goals are excellent and I really liked Milller's second spell but he just didn't have that in his locker.

Open up his body, flick it away from the defender with his standing foot and then volley it with the same foot whilst falling - sorry, no.

Miller would have taken it on his good foot and driven round the outside of the defender like 99.9% of strikers. It's not that he couldn't do it technically - maybe - but he just wouldn't have seen the opportunity was there.

All Rangers goals are excellent and I really liked Milller's second spell but he just didn't have that in his locker.

Open up his body, flick it away from the defender with his standing foot and then volley it with the same foot whilst falling - sorry, no.

Miller would have taken it on his good foot and driven round the outside of the defender like 99.9% of strikers. It's not that he couldn't do it technically - maybe - but he just wouldn't have seen the opportunity was there.

You are seeing a thing you want there rather than actual evidence that took place on the big green thing...

He actually wasn't that far off, he had 65 goals by the end of his third full season when he was 23.
Good going that considering it wasn’t exactly the strongest Rangers team when he first joined, I wasn’t even thought of then :)) 91 born, have met him and he was a gentleman

I’m glad Morelos is still being underrated by the media, other fans and also evidently by some of our own who wouldn’t know a player if their life depended on it, maybe it’ll mean he’ll be here longer so folk can rabble pish whilst he’s rattling in the goals.

I can understand it from the press but some of the eejits on here defy belief, hilariously wanky po-faced takes.

I never said otherwise as far as I know....I DID say Alfie was worth as much as biscuit hips but I've generally preached caution in hailing this squad as anything special until they've achieved something.

Agree here we see a list of players who have all led us to trophies and honours written off it's madness, Morelos to be mentioned in the same terms as these players has to win trophies if he leaves without winning anything which I hopes not the case he will still be remembered for his goals tally for a number of years but not like players who's goals have led us to actual silverware.

I’m glad Morelos is still being underrated by the media, other fans and also evidently by some of our own who wouldn’t know a player if their life depended on it, maybe it’ll mean he’ll be here longer so folk can rabble pish whilst he’s rattling in the goals.

I can understand it from the press but some of the eejits on here defy belief, hilariously wanky po-faced takes.

When you see adults struggling to grasp why an INDIVIDUALS ability can’t be based off of TEAM achievements it makes you want to bang your head against the wall.

There’s times when I think I come off a little bit rude but at the same time it’s really hard work debating with folk who can’t grasp really basic concepts even after they’re spelled out.

Personally I’d have him 2nd or 3rd on the list. That’s based on his current level, his age, the team he functions in, the rapid rate at which his game is evolving and his current record in spite of having played a season under 2 managers and two teams not fit for purpose. I still won’t trust the team overall until they deliver silverware, but in terms of individual ability, Morelos is very very good and getting better at an alarming rate.

Ps. The greatest all round striker I’ve seen at Rangers is Hateley.

He has some attributes that are very obvious - his strength, his ability to roll a defender, and his goalscoring ability. That's all improved this season, but what's really amazed me is how he's coming back to get the ball; his little quick flicks & touches to run the ball into the path of another player; and maybe most of all, some of his long-range passing. He's hit many pinpoint passes the full width of Ibrox, usually to Tavernier.

I think there has been a dramatic improvement in his heading over the last 18 months too.

Those chances he missed at the Chamber of Secrets back then he would finish comfortably now.

Reactions: SDR
I think there has been a dramatic improvement in his heading over the last 18 months too.

Those chances he missed at the Chamber of Secrets back then he would finish comfortably now.

He missed a sitter at the weekend by dithering yet buried the hardest chance he's still at times overthinks it but when he doesn't it's a goal.

He missed a sitter at the weekend by dithering yet buried the hardest chance he's still at times overthinks it but when he doesn't it's a goal.

He’s a developing 23yo SB. I personally love him albeit he is human.

I’m old enough to remember Ally, Prso, Nikica & Michael Mols.

I think time has taken a lot of people’s recollections of things they did wrong & chances they missed too.

I even watched a PSG match last season where the 200m Mbappe missed a TRUE SITTER that some would have never shut up about were it Morelos.

And what about his second goal v Hearts or his Porto goal ? Absolute top class stuff.

Let’s be fair.

He’s been one on one with the goalkeeper on more than a few occasions this season and buried it with plenty of time to think. Young Boys and Midtylland for example.

I’m struggling to think of any more this season where you could back up that assertion to be honest, he barely misses these days.

He’s a developing 23yo SB. I personally love him albeit he is human.

I’m old enough to remember Ally, Prso, Nikica & Michael Mols.

I think time has taken a lot of people’s recollections of things they did wrong & chances they missed too.

I even watched a PSG match last season where the 200m Mbappe missed a TRUE SITTER that some would have never shut up about were it Morelos.

And what about his second goal v Hearts or his Porto goal ? Absolute top class stuff.

Let’s be fair.

Everyone misses no doubt I was just saying its not something that he has eradicated from his game.

I just have to laugh how people compare Morelos to the likes of McCoist who had twenty odd hat-tricks for us, mind blowing.

Everyone misses no doubt I was just saying its not something that he has eradicated from his game.

I just have to laugh how people compare Morelos to the likes of McCoist who had twenty odd hat-tricks for us, mind blowing.

Maybe it’s because I saw almost every game Ally played for us SB ?

And I was there ( and supporting him ) the day they sang Ally Ally GTF at him so I don’t need a lecture about Ally thank you.

Morelos’s European record is actually better than Alky’s on a game by game average & he’s played on average in worse teams than Ally did.

But what’s your point anyway mate ? Why did you choose Ally but not Mols or Dado ?

I chose him among other top strikers we’ve had over the last 30 or so years.

Why did you pick him out ? And while you have, how many times have you seen Ally leading the line on his own ?

Maybe it’s because I saw almost every game Ally played for us SB ?

And I was there ( and supporting him ) the day they sang Ally Ally GTF at him so I don’t need a lecture about Ally thank you.

Morelos’s European record is actually better than Alky’s on a game by game average & he’s played on average in worse teams than Ally did.

But what’s your point anyway mate ? Why did you choose Ally but not Mols or Dado ?

I chose him among other top strikers we’ve had over the last 30 or so years.

Why did you pick him out ? And while you have, how many times have you seen Ally leading the line on his own ?
No one gave you a lecture on Ally I mentioned him as you did in your initial post and further back the thread some rated Morelos up there I thought hey they must be very young supporters.

He’s been one on one with the goalkeeper on more than a few occasions this season and buried it with plenty of time to think. Young Boys and Midtylland for example.

I’m struggling to think of any more this season where you could back up that assertion to be honest, he barely misses these days.

Because he cant. I’ll bet he never made a peep when Defoe missed any of his chances, including that 1 v 1 seven yards out away to St Mirren (the Barisic free kick game).

Last edited:
No one gave you a lecture on Ally I mentioned him as you did in your initial post and further back the thread some rated Morelos up there I thought hey they must be very young supporters.

I really don’t want to get into comparisons anyway Smiley Bear.

All of these guys have done great things for our magnificent club.

All I’m saying is that Morelos turned 23 in June & he’s done incredibly well for us, has been a MAJOR factor in us qualifying for the EL Group Stages twice and is an absolute joy to watch despite his young years.

It’s a long time since I’ve loved watching one of our players like I do him, despite his imperfections.

I really don’t want to get into comparisons anyway Smiley Bear.

All of these guys have done great things for our magnificent club.

All I’m saying is that Morelos turned 23 in June & he’s done incredibly well for us, has been a MAJOR factor in us qualifying for the EL Group Stages twice and is an absolute joy to watch despite his young years.

It’s a long time since I’ve loved watching one of our players like I do him, despite his imperfections.

Been great this year has turned himself around after last season and we will make a great profit on him.

Morelos is a fantastic player,hopefully he will stay around and be part of a team that wins leagues,cups and does well in Europe.If he does that then moves on he will be remembered as a goal scoring legend.If he moves in January he will be remembered as a player who had a purple patch with us in the same way as Negri did.

Hope so mate. After 55 is secured :D

Yes, we have to keep him past January but scoring in the European games will have got him more attention as coaches will value those goals higher than in our league.
I also agree we should never really judge players against former players let them be judged on what they do for us.

Yes, we have to keep him past January but scoring in the European games will have got him more attention as coaches will value those goals higher than in our league.
I also agree we should never really judge players against former players let them be judged on what they do for us.

Yes it’s been really noticeable in the last two weeks that high profile guys in England like Michael Owen & others are now talking about him as a target for English teams.

That’s down to European performances, and despite the mentally challengeds claiming he doesn’t score against good teams.

In saying that I’d live him to ram it down their throats, not necessarily for his valuation, but for himself & the Rangers fans.

Back