Where does Morelos rank in the last 20yrs?

When Alfie has played and scored in Champions League, cup finals, Old Firm games and title run-ins then I think it's fair. He hasn't done any of these things. Not entirely his fault - as needs to be pointed out again - but running amok against Livingston and Hearts is not enough for people to lose their minds. The fans have been starved of an idol for a long, long time so it's only right people enjoy it while they can. And he will go for lots of money. But some perspective from older, wiser heads is always necessary against young yins with no experience or knowledge of history and are naturally going to be excitable. It's the E numbers, I think.

See this is just utter shite. “Running amok against Livingston and Hearts”? He’s scored 11 goals in Europe this season and more recently, 3 in a row against excellent opposition (home and away) who usually participate in the champions league. Sorry, what was that you were saying about disrespect?

You could try showing more respect for our current players buddy. I’m sure you’ve heard of phrase “the pot calling the kettle black”. And by the way, you say “it’s not entirely his fault”, well actually it’s not his fault, he’s never played in the CL so I’m going to avoid using a lack of CL goals against him, and to repeat, he hasn’t played in sides good enough to win the league, even last season he carried us at times and we still ended up about 15 or so points adrift. The ex players you’re getting so precious over had the luxury of playing in better and well established Rangers sides.

Utterly bizarre comment.

It's a football forum, where we discuss our individual opinions.

Some of those might not correspond with your own but at least have the decency to accept that we're all bears here and leave the consdescension out of it.

I happen to think Jelavic was a better striker for Rangers than what Alfredo has been so far. If that upsets you then I couldn't care less.

Nah mate it doesn’t upset me. The issue I have is with your reasoning, which is nonsense, and I’ve provided an example to show you why using that metric is nonsense. I have no issue with anyone who feels Jelavic was a better player, at this point I don’t think there’s much in it myself, Jelavic was superb. I do take issue with someone suggesting he’s better because his goals lead to trophies, and I’ve explained very clearly why this argument doesn’t hold up.

But you’re right, it’s a discussion forum, so if you don’t want your opinions being challenged, a discussion forum might not be the environment for you. See how it works both ways?

So many folk in years gone by will always say that Great Rangers strikers are judged on what they do against Celtic?

I’m kind of torn on this, Morelos is phenomenal but until he slays the mentally challengeds then there will always be that doubt.

Nah mate it doesn’t upset me. The issue I have is with your reasoning, which is nonsense, and I’ve provided an example to show you why using that metric is nonsense. I have no issue with anyone who feels Jelavic was a better player, at this point I don’t think there’s much in it myself, Jelavic was superb. I do take issue with someone suggesting he’s better because his goals lead to trophies, and I’ve explained very clearly why this argument doesn’t hold up.

But you’re right, it’s a discussion forum, so if you don’t want your opinions being challenged, a discussion forum might not be the environment for you. See how it works both ways?

I'm not on trial here and if I was, some agitated flapper like yourself would not be fit to be my judge.

Learn to engage with other Rangers fans without the snide digs and you might find they're more open to having a conversation with you.

I'm out. Enjoy yer day.

When Alfie has played and scored in Champions League, cup finals, Old Firm games and title run-ins then I think it's fair. He hasn't done any of these things. Not entirely his fault - as needs to be pointed out again - but running amok against Livingston and Hearts is not enough for people to lose their minds. The fans have been starved of an idol for a long, long time so it's only right people enjoy it while they can. And he will go for lots of money. But some perspective from older, wiser heads is always necessary against young yins with no experience or knowledge of history and are naturally going to be excitable. It's the E numbers, I think.

Correct, the fans have been starved of a potential Rangers legendary goalscorer and cult figure who terrorises opposition defences. Quite rightly, we should enjoy every second of Alfie's tenure at Ibrox, but as of now, we have won nothing.

So many folk in years gone by will always say that Great Rangers strikers are judged on what they do against Celtic?

I’m kind of torn on this, Morelos is phenomenal but until he slays the mentally challengeds then there will always be that doubt.

They typically lead to goals and trophies

A lot of talk about Morelos playing in a side who haven’t won stuff etc

Jelavic won leagues and Cup in sides with Kyle Hutton, Foster, Wylde and Whittaker..

I'm not on trial here and if I was, some agitated flapper like yourself would not be fit to be my judge.

Learn to engage with other Rangers fans without the snide digs and you might find they're more open to having a conversation with you.

I'm out. Enjoy yer day.

I have plenty of great discussion on here with my fellow Rangers fans thanks. The only reason you’re not actually offering a rebuttal is because you have none to offer. But if you want to pretend that you’re only stepping back because I’m too abrasive and I’ve upset you then batter in.

I’ll be sure to leave you to it future, cheers.

I have to admit as someone who supports Rangers, I don't really care what a player does after they depart.

Morelos might go on to play for Liverpool in 10 years etc - magic, great - means little to me as I don't support Liverpool.

It is why for instance when talking about Miller for example, age, circumstance of departure etc means little to me personally when assessing something like this.

I am more concerned about the better player for Rangers etc rather than proposed career trajectory.

Rino Gattuso had an unquestionably better career as a football player than Steven Davis, Steven Davis was the better Rangers player by a country mile.

Morelos has been an awful lot better for Rangers than Miller was in his best spell with us. 20 more goals in a shorter period. You could also argue his performances in Europe are beyond anything Miller produced in any competition.

Smith would have loved him, especially in his second spell, he is exactly the player Smith wanted as a lone striker for the big games.

Absolutely agree, Walter would have adored him. He had all the qualities he liked for those European nights with a loan striker.

See this is just utter shite. “Running amok against Livingston and Hearts”? He’s scored 11 goals in Europe this season and more recently, 3 in a row against excellent opposition (home and away) who usually participate in the champions league. Sorry, what was that you were saying about disrespect?

You could try showing more respect for our current players buddy. I’m sure you’ve heard of phrase “the pot calling the kettle black”. And by the way, you say “it’s not entirely his fault”, well actually it’s not his fault, he’s never played in the CL so I’m going to avoid using a lack of CL goals against him, and to repeat, he hasn’t played in sides good enough to win the league, even last season he carried us at times and we still ended up about 15 or so points adrift. The ex players you’re getting so precious over had the luxury of playing in better and well established Rangers sides.

He's had the opportunity to help us reach cup finals, has he not? He's played against Celtic several times? You seem to want to attribute only the good things to him as an individual and any failure is a collective one.

This isn't an Alfie-bashing thread. But trying to inject some reality into proceedings requires some negativity.

As I say, Morelos is on a good run of form. Let's see where it ends up and where it takes us before we get carried away.

I'm actually a bit surprised to see quite a few people rating Jelavic above Morelos. Alfie is stronger, distributes the ball better, falls back to pick up the ball a lot (this season) and has (again, this season) really improved his ability to stick the ball away. Jelavic scored in cup finals, sure, but Alfie hasn't had much chance to do that, through no fault of his own.

I'd say he's certainly the best Rangers striker I've seen in the past 20 years. I can't really compare him to the pre-injury Mols, because I live in the USA and the one and only time I saw Mols play pre-injury was that Bayern away game (I was back in Scotland that week, and saw it on TV).

I have plenty of great discussion on here with my fellow Rangers fans thanks. The only reason you’re not actually offering a rebuttal is because you have none to offer. But if you want to pretend that you’re only stepping back because I’m too abrasive and I’ve upset you then batter in.

Maybe my initial post wasn't clear enough.

For me both players are on a very similar level in terms of ability, hold up play, technique, goal-scoring ability and being able to single-handedly change a game but if it comes down a decider then I side with Jelavic as he remained cool and composed on the occasions that Alfredo has not (various big misses v them)

I'm not saying Alfredo isn't a fantastic player, nor am I saying he won't be better than Jelavic in 2 years time when he reaches the age Jela was when he arrived. I'm simply saying in a Rangers shirt, Jelavic still edges it for me.

If someone made that point to you in the pub, you wouldn't jump down their throat and call them idiotic or the likes. Acting like that is hardly conducive to a good debate about great players that have played for us. I respect you favour Alfie, he's a gem of a player but there's no need to go tonto at others because they see things differently.

Are you really just ignoring his goals in Europe this season, what’s the point in doing that to win an argument on the Internet?

His goal vs Legia was as important for our club as any goal scored by any striker in the last decade, but aye he only does it agains Livingston and Hearts, but you just miss out Porto inbetween for effect.

Genuinely, you’d expect to read this nonsense in a tabloid from Sutton.

He's had the opportunity to help us reach cup finals, has he not? He's played against Celtic several times? You seem to want to attribute only the good things to him as an individual and any failure is a collective one.

This isn't an Alfie-bashing thread. But trying to inject some reality into proceedings requires some negativity.

As I say, Morelos is on a good run of form. Let's see where it ends up and where it takes us before we get carried away.

Inject some reality into it then! You’ve yet to do that. Your comment about running amok against hearts and livingnston is obviously designed to take the player down a peg, and it’s particularly odd that you’re doing it mere days after his latest match winning performance in a big European night.

We failed to make the league cup final because Gerrard and co played him in a game he didn’t need to play in, without having adequate cover, that left us with a cup tied Lafferty and Umar Sadiq, that’s not his fault.

As for the Scottish cup semi final, do you think we lost that because of Morelos? In your heart of hearts do you really think if he’d had a better game we’d have won? I’d say the team were garbage over both legs. If you want to attribute to him personally go for it, but Christ that’s unbelievably harsh. If you want to go to cup games prior to last season, then you’re looking at blaming Morelos for not dragging the worst top flight Rangers sides in the club’s modern history, over the line, which would even harsher.

Last edited:
Last 20 years top scorers (all comps)

1999–2000 Rod Wallace (21)
2000–01 Jorg Albertz (15)
2001–02 Tore André Flo (25)
2002–03 Ronald de Boer (20)
2003–04 Shota Arveladze (15)

2004–05 Nacho Novo (25)
2005–06 Kris Boyd (20)
2006–07 Kris Boyd (26)
2007–08 Kris Boyd (25)
2008–09 Kris Boyd (31)

2009–10 Kris Boyd (26)
2010–11 Kenny Miller (22)
2011–12 Nikica Jelavić (17)
2012–13 Lee McCulloch (26)
2013–14 Jon Daly (25)

2014–15 Nicky Law (13)
2015–16 Martyn Waghorn (28)
2016–17 Martyn Waghorn (16)
2017–18 Alfredo Morelos (18)
2018–19 Alfredo Morelos (30)

Boyd with 31 in '08-'09 should easily be passed possibly before Xmas.

Next target...

1997–98 Marco Negri (37)

Followed by...

1992–93 Ally McCoist (49)

Then... :)

1964–65 Jim Forrest (57)

You do, but you also seem to lose it a bit in any discussion regarding Morelos, you have to be able to accept others opinions, you cannot just argue and argue and try and change them.

Last 20 years top scorers (all comps)

1999–2000 Rod Wallace (21)
2000–01 Jorg Albertz (15)
2001–02 Tore André Flo (25)
2002–03 Ronald de Boer (20)
2003–04 Shota Arveladze (15)

2004–05 Nacho Novo (25)
2005–06 Kris Boyd (20)
2006–07 Kris Boyd (26)
2007–08 Kris Boyd (25)
2008–09 Kris Boyd (31)

2009–10 Kris Boyd (26)
2010–11 Kenny Miller (22)
2011–12 Nikica Jelavić (17)
2012–13 Lee McCulloch (26)
2013–14 Jon Daly (25)

2014–15 Nicky Law (13)
2015–16 Martyn Waghorn (28)
2016–17 Martyn Waghorn (16)
2017–18 Alfredo Morelos (18)
2018–19 Alfredo Morelos (30)

Boyd with 31 in '08-'09 should easily be passed possibly before Xmas.

Next target...

1997–98 Marco Negri (37)

Followed by...

1992–93 Ally McCoist (49)

Then... :)

1964–65 Jim Forrest (57)
Interesting list. Two things stand out for me:
1. In terms of this thread - Jelavic, 17; Morelos 18 & 30 (and who knows how many in 2019-2020)

2. John Daly scored 25 for us in 13/14? If I'd been asked how many I thought he'd got, I'd have guessed about 10. Eeek.

Michael Mols before his knee injury was the best striker I have seen for Rangers. Goals wise morelos is scoring as much as anyone but Mols for his overall game.

You do, but you also seem to lose it a bit in any discussion regarding Morelos, you have to be able to accept others opinions, you cannot just argue and argue and try and change them.

Smiley, I’ve had similar debates with you before and you yourself weren’t able to back up your own arguments on the subject. The issue you guys seem to have is you don’t like being proven wrong and go in a bit of a cream puff when backed into a corner. At the very least I can say I’ll provide some decent evidence to support my own viewpoints, i don’t really think everyone can say that though. I think you yourself only take umbrage because you’re in the “Defoe = number 1” camp and are sticking with that. Fair enough for sticking with it by the way, but you couldn’t really support it the last time we discussed it and I think what irks you more than anything, it’s nothing to do with me standing my ground.

But as far as arguments like the above go? Of course I get into and of course I challenge it, to suggest his ability is diminished by Rangers as a team, not having won silverware, is absolutely stupid. I could use a much stronger word for how daft that argument is, but let’s stick with stupid. Given the value of the player and what he’s doing for the club right now, I think it’s perfectly acceptable for fans to be passionate about it and fight his corner.

100% in the top 3. He's going to the very very top. He literally could play at any EPL side, with the exception of City & Liverpool right now and still be a star man. He's incredible and his europa form highlights it.

Smiley, I’ve had similar debates with you before and you yourself weren’t able to back up your own arguments on the subject. The issue you guys seem to have is you don’t like being proven wrong and go in a bit of a cream puff when backed into a corner. At the very least I can say I’ll provide some decent evidence to support my own viewpoints, i don’t really think everyone can say that though. I think you yourself only take umbrage because you’re in the “Defoe = number 1” camp and are sticking with that. Fair enough for sticking with it by the way, but you couldn’t really support it the last time we discussed it and I think what irks you more than anything, it’s nothing to do with me standing my ground.

But as far as arguments like the above go? Of course I get into and of course I challenge it, to suggest his ability is diminished by Rangers as a team, not having won silverware, is absolutely stupid. I could use a much stronger word for how daft that argument is, but let’s stick with stupid. Given the value of the player and what he’s doing for the club right now, I think it’s perfectly acceptable for fans to be passionate about it and fight his corner.

You are really needing to take a step back from the internet for a wee while I get you rate Morelos but you seem to have gone too far and are just coming across as a bit unbalanced on the subject..

I loved the likes of Mols, Jelavic and Prso but Alfie is as good as any of them on his day in a team that is new and not as good as the teams the others played in.

What he is doing this season is ridiculous

A thing that a lot on this thread seem to forget. He joined us on our second season back in the top league, we’d appointed an unsuitable manager and the team was rotten as a whole, yet Morelos still shone and scored a decent amount of goals.

Last season he was even better, but his temperament coupled with horrific refereeing held him back.

This season we’re seeing a guy who is the real deal, a genuine top drawer striker, I think we all knew he had so much potential, but I think he’s surpassing it this season.

The list of players he’s being compared to were pretty much all experienced players when they joined, Morelos has just turned 23, it’s frightening how good he could become given his year on year improvement that we’re seeing.

A thing that a lot on this thread seem to forget. He joined us on our second season back in the top league, we’d appointed an unsuitable manager and the team was rotten as a whole, yet Morelos still shone and scored a decent amount of goals.

Last season he was even better, but his temperament coupled with horrific refereeing held him back.

This season we’re seeing a guy who is the real deal, a genuine top drawer striker, I think we all knew he had so much potential, but I think he’s surpassing it this season.

The list of players he’s being compared to were pretty much all experienced players when they joined, Morelos has just turned 23, it’s frightening how good he could become given his year on year improvement that we’re seeing.
I agree with every word of that.

You are really needing to take a step back from the internet for a wee while I get you rate Morelos but you seem to have gone too far and are just coming across as a bit unbalanced on the subject..

More empty pish. I’m unbalanced on the subject, but the “Defoe = # 1” guy is the beacon of impartiality. Nae bother pal, haha.

Who wouldn’t ‘rate’ Morelos? You say that as if it’s a weird opinion to hold.

He prefers a bigger name like Defoe and still reckons Defoe should be first choice so I wouldn’t take much notice, he also doesn’t provide any evidence to support any of his own claims either.

I don't say it lightly given the illustrious list of names who've given so much to our club but without exaggeration Alfredo Morelos is right on target to become the most important signing in our entire history.

I reckon he has overtaken Jelavic now and I’m very surprised to say that. He has added this clinical streak to his side that wasn’t there before. He’s a machine at the moment.

Who would you swap over the past 20 years for him? Mols for s few months maybe? Other than that I’m not sure at all. He’s the real deal.

Dunno, don’t care. His goal against Porto was different gravy though. He’s a great player and we should just enjoy what we have rather than constant comparisons to past greats, I’ve been guilty of it as well but it’s all subjective and just causes arguments.

Mols didn’t play anywhere near enough at his peak to be considered top of that list.

Morelos, Prso, Novo, Jelavic and even Miller have all contributed more to the club.

I think most people have covered it.

He easily could eclipse the players in the list and clearly has as much and in most cases more natural talent. The limitation is his goals thus far haven't delivered something crucial for us at an important stage in our history. Of course that might not actually be achievable through no fault of his own.

He could leave next season for a fortune and us having no trophies.

As for the usual suspects bemoaning the early debate on Morelos and his worth-they want to give it a rest-anyone sensible gives an opinion at the time based on what they've seen. Morelos had fantastic attributes and potential but missed chances that were frankly at times incredible. That's where the sensible debate was-this season he's barely missed a chance and he and the backroom staff deserve all the credit going because the development has been incredible.

The evidence is obvious I think even if Morelos drops off he's going to be the subject of big offers in the summer before at the stage of the debate there was no genuine sensible offers for him because he was so raw. The level and amount of chances he was missing was always going to open him up to criticism and doubt.

Mols didn’t play anywhere near enough at his peak to be considered top of that list.

Morelos, Prso, Novo, Jelavic and even Miller have all contributed more to the club.

If we are being 100% honest Mols is arguably the biggest what might have been of my lifetime and as such his actual ability/potential isn't really cemented in real evidence at Rangers in any tangible terms. It's the loss of that potential that drives the opinion.

He has some attributes that are very obvious - his strength, his ability to roll a defender, and his goalscoring ability. That's all improved this season, but what's really amazed me is how he's coming back to get the ball; his little quick flicks & touches to run the ball into the path of another player; and maybe most of all, some of his long-range passing. He's hit many pinpoint passes the full width of Ibrox, usually to Tavernier.

It's funny because I remember guys on here stamping their feet all the way through Smith's second spell, whilst we hoovered up every trophy going, now saying medals are all that matters. It's almost like they are pre-conditioned towards negativity.

In terms of ability as a striker and overall player I have Morelos ahead of all of them aside from Hateley.

I believe Morelos has more to his game than Jelavic, Boyd, Miller, McCoist.

Laugh all you want, he’s that good.

Agree with this but we also have to remember we had Hateley at his absolute peak, Morelos has the potential to be even better

Mols for me number 1, if he avoided that injury, he would have some frightening stats im sure.

2nd is the big Jellyfish. Class act

I’d then stick Alfie 3rd: but if he wins us a league I might revise this :)

It's funny because I remember guys on here stamping their feet all the way through Smith's second spell, whilst we hoovered up every trophy going, now saying medals are all that matters. It's almost like they are pre-conditioned towards negativity.

You’re not the only one who’s noticed. Same posters who never shut up about our alleged turgid and prehistoric football under Walter.

Back