Where does our away result against Braga rate?

I think when people say a player has pace sometimes mean a slightly different thing when they use the word pace. The usual way as in fast running but sometimes pace comes from being in the right place or making the right choices(fast thinking).

On a personal level it was sensational - the whole Braga trip was brilliant and that night I went through every emotion - hope / joy / despair (pen miss) I was near suicidal at half time thinking i had seen this movie before then the rest as they say is history

don’t listen to why Timmy says that Braga side are / were a superb side.

There have been many better results as mentioned already but it was brilliant at the time. After an hour of the first leg, I didn't think we'd be the team to score the next 4 goals in the tie. We dealt well with their really high line.

From my time going to games it is in the top 20 excluding games we lost like Parma where it was enough to see us through or where we got a decent result but went out over 2 legs like Villareal in 06

Fiorentina just for the stakes
PSV 78
Lyon
Marseilles
Leeds
Vladikavkaz
PSV 99
Monaco
Leverkusen
Sporting 08
Dortmund 95
CSKA 92
Fortuna Dusseldorf
PSG
Porto CL 05?
Man U 11
Brugge
Braga
Porto 19
Villareal 18

In terms of quality of team and ease of win it was right up there. We are not a successful team in terms of our history but that result was top drawer they hardly got a kick.

our best ever euro away performance for me was Lyon with one of our best ever teams IMO.

I think the performance over the two legs was excellent. they were a well regarded, form team. Great comeback and a superb away result.

Although i do recollect thinking how much Peter Lovenkrands would have enjoyed playing against that high defence. Double hat trick!!

They were good going forward but shambolic at the back. Was very confident we’d go through after the first leg.
Agree with this. Porto were a better side I thought. Still a terrific scalp. We've been tremendous in Europe under Gerrard.

I'm not sure it ranks that highly to be honest. We were far too nervous at Ibrox until we said %^*& this we're Rangers. The comeback followed by the away win is what is so good about it but we were always capable of getting a result away from home. I suspect the same thing happened with Leverkusen. Not sure if we would have won the tie, they are quality, but we really should have done better.

I think Werder Bremen is an underrated away performance, they were brilliant and could have went on to win it.

The best part of the Braga game was we were pretty confident after the comeback at Ibrox.

On the night we were exceptional and always looked the most likely to win the game.

The Haji pass for Kent was world class and the finish was exceptional.

Having said that the Leeds results home and away were also exceptional over both games.
Leeds at that time were a fantastic team and full of stars.

There have been many great away days but Leeds topped it for me.
I don’t think anyone really gave us a chance, they games will live in my memory forever. I watched highlights again last year and that Leeds team was something else, cantona should’ve scored a barrel load but Goram as usual was immense, save after save after save

I think when people say a player has pace sometimes mean a slightly different thing when they use the word pace. The usual way as in fast running but sometimes pace comes from being in the right place or making the right choices(fast thinking).
That wank ohalloran had pace. Enough said. Whilst it certainly helps, any player as good as Hagi is with real pace wouldn’t be playing for us these days I’m afraid. That’s the reality

That wank ohalloran had pace. Enough said. Whilst it certainly helps, any player as good as Hagi is with real pace wouldn’t be playing for us these days I’m afraid. That’s the reality
Good point. Pace of mind and awareness in more important really. Some players need both but great players can lose physical pace and use his speed of thought to make up for it. Holloran(can’t be arsed spelling his name)never had anything else to go with pace.

Good point. Pace of mind and awareness in more important really. Some players need both but great players can lose physical pace and use his speed of thought to make up for it. Holloran(can’t be arsed spelling his name)never had anything else to go with pace.
Still can’t believe Warburton bought that prick. I’m no dinosaur but you’ve surely got to do your homework on a player ffs

Brilliant trip, performance (on &off the pitch) result and great memories.
Winning away in Europe is a special thing to experience.

I was in the "unofficial"away end that night. Got up the stairs lifted the net and slithered under in to the Rangers end to meet my mates. Amazing night.

Last edited:
Was amazed at how comfortable we were. In first leg momentum clawed us back but up til then they were best side we'd faced. 2-0 down from first leg I said at the time if we get through this it would be one of the biggest European results ever for us.

We learned from the first game and totally controlled second leg

Completely forgot we had missed a penalty. Kents goal was probably the hardest shot we had. If only we could score the easier ones.

One of the most tactically assured performances I've seen in Europe from a Rangers side. Up there with the Walter Smith Road to Manchester side and Advocaat teams. When you consider the money spent comparatively, then it's well up there. Thought it would be a long time before I saw a Rangers side competing at that level in Europe again tbh.

Back