Where does our away result against Braga rate?

Not2shabby

Over the years we've had some great away results, wins and draws, in France, Spain, Germany, England, Italy, the big 5. We also had a very historic win in Holland, PSV's first ever home defeat in Europe, which we are obviously proud of.
My question is, how does our away performance against Braga rate? We saw an extremely good side at Ibrox. Yes we pulled it back, but the advantage was in their favour.
Now I know they had most of the possession, in the return leg, but they only had one shot on target against our five, and big George was immense .
I rate this as one of our best ever away performances.
As you've probably gathered, I've just watched it again

Never broke sweat in the game . Felt we were always comfortable and with Kent and hagi we had two players with pace to always give us a chanCe

It was a fantastic result away from home against a very decent outfit, however, we have had far better results away from home in Europe.

Fantastic, I thought Braga were the best outfit we've faced and for 60 minutes were superior to anything Leverkusen had. Thankfully games don't last 60 minutes and what a night. Form is temporary and that night proved the players AND management team do have what it takes. It's nights like that which get me excited and more confident about the season ahead than I otherwise would be.
* Sorry! Got carried away with the home performance.
The away was equally impressive but we've shown that steeliness and tactical astuteness away from home many times even under Gerrard. Le Guen getting an away victory away at Livorno highlights it's actually Ibrox that troubles our own teams at times

It was a fantastic result and an excellent performance against a team who didn’t give the opposition very much, particularly at home.

Was lucky enough to be over the for the game, so could be the beer talking.

Back down to earth 3 days later at Tynecastle....

It was a superb result and great performance. Gerrard has excelled in Europe.

Not best ever away performance though. Not close to Lyon, Leeds, Sporting Lisbon, maybe even PSV (twice) just off the top of my head.

Fair comment, however we had much stronger squads then. I was asking more about the current challenge.

Right up there. braga were class that night Ibrox & you could see they were the best team we’d played in europe by a mile, well up until Hagi burst the net then they buckled.

Theres a good few infront of it.. leeds, psv.lyon,Monaco id put fiorentina down as a away win... psg on penalties also...

On the contrary, I’m a very big fan - he just doesn’t have pace.

Fair enough mate. If he had all the attributes , that you'd expect, he wouldn't be at Rangers as you've sort of indicated. We used to have a winger called Davie Cooper, who wasn't the fastest, but by hell could he play. Pace is no substitute for skill.

I was trying to put in in perspective of squads at the time.

If we are talking perspective of squads, we would have spent far more on ours than Braga did on theirs. We should be beating teams like Braga. The sort of results people are quoting were against similar or better resourced sides at the time.

If we are talking perspective of squads, we would have spent far more on ours than Braga did on theirs. We should be beating teams like Braga. The sort of results people are quoting were against similar or better resourced sides at the time.

I could be wrong, but I believe Braga spent more on one player than we did on our squad. I will stand corrected.

Fair enough mate. If he had all the attributes , that you'd expect, he wouldn't be at Rangers as you've sort of indicated. We used to have a winger called Davie Cooper, who wasn't the fastest, but by hell could he play. Pace is no substitute for skill.
Sort of indicated? :)) It’s what I said verbatim.

I wholeheartedly agree pace is no substitute for skill. Someone called him pacy - he’s not.

It was a great result and campaign overall. We have played 17 games in Europe this season, coming all the way from the first qualifier. That’s the equivalent of half of some countries league season, on top of our own domestic games.
I’d say it’s up there with some of our great results, but not as big as a Leverkusen or Lyon.

Sort of indicated? :)) It’s what I said verbatim.

I wholeheartedly agree pace is no substitute for skill. Someone called him pacy - he’s not.

Ok you say if he had pace, in your opinion, he wouldn't be at Rangers. Possibly true, but as I stated pace is only one attribute.

Sporting Lisbon is the best of recent games for me, but maybe because of its significance. But thoroughly enjoyed Braga. Loved my trips to Portugal, never defeated and love port.

Just to add to this, the token Tim in work said when we made the groups first time (roughly)"aye youse have done well, no team will want to draw youse". This last European run he's said nothing, we're the real deal.

The best part of the Braga game was we were pretty confident after the comeback at Ibrox.

On the night we were exceptional and always looked the most likely to win the game.

The Haji pass for Kent was world class and the finish was exceptional.

Having said that the Leeds results home and away were also exceptional over both games.
Leeds at that time were a fantastic team and full of stars.

There have been many great away days but Leeds topped it for me.

Probably depends on your age to be honest.

For this old codger, I honestly dont think it would be in my top 20.

That said, i did enjoy Braga.

Last edited:
In context it was a fabulous performance, every player knew their job, and atuck to an excellent game plan from the manager,we were so disciplined its very hard to compare games,in lyon,we were playing a great team,and we certainly had a bit of luck that night,but we took our chances ,and got a great result,

Back