Where does the time go?

Funny how goalkeeper Dave McKellar, born in Irvine and started off with Saltcoats Vics then the Buffs, is never mentioned when talking of this cup upset. He was immense that day, and unlike most of the Accies side, did it again the following season when he was in goal for Dunfermline as they knocked Rangers out of the Scottish cup.
I remember that game more.

The next league game between Rangers and Accies at Ibrox - I think the game you’re talking about - at the start, the Accies players all ran onto the pitch, into the centre circle, and waved at all four stands.

Chris Woods was untroubled that day, and Rangers won 2-0.
Rumour has it that as the players were coming off at the end of the game, Davie Cooper said to Adrian Sprott. "Well son, at least your name will no be aw ower the fkn papers, this weekend.":))

Their keeper saved everything that came near him that day, just one of they days. Their goal was a low cross into the box, sure it took a deflection, went over Davie MacPhersons leg and landed perfect for Sprott. Did Bobby Barr break his leg that day too? I was in Copland Rear, blue section row 29 seat 20, ticket was £3

Christ, imagine this place had it been around then?

LawfulMildKomododragon-max-1mb.gif
That's basically every tim after we score in an Old Firm game. One TV per goal.

Their keeper saved everything that came near him that day, just one of they days. Their goal was a low cross into the box, sure it took a deflection, went over Davie MacPhersons leg and landed perfect for Sprott. Did Bobby Barr break his leg that day too? I was in Copland Rear, blue section row 29 seat 20, ticket was £3
He broke his leg in the league game a couple of weeks earlier. A collision with Butcher I'm sure.

This came up earlier in the thread. Roberts and Durrant were sent off during the game also.

Christ, imagine this place had it been around then?

LawfulMildKomododragon-max-1mb.gif

"Souness can GTF and take his pal from Dundee United with him. This is whit ye get when you sign nothing but Englishmen. They're only here to play in Europe and as soon as we're out they down tools and this is what happens. 2000 pound a week for Butcher? He's fuckin mince. We need Rangers men in the team. You mark my words, this is only the start of it, we'll drop more points next week against Hearts, fall apart and have to watch the sheep parading the trophy in front of us at Pittodrie in the second last game of the season. It'll be years before we catch up with them"

My clearest memory of the day was a single rolled-up scarf being thrown over my head from the top of the Govan when Sprott scored. It's taken on a weirdly cinematic quality in my mind, unfurling in slow motion against a blue sky as it floated down towards the track, probably set to classical music like a death scene in a gangster movie. o_O

"Souness can GTF and take his pal from Dundee United with him. This is whit ye get when you sign nothing but Englishmen. They're only here to play in Europe and as soon as we're out they down tools and this is what happens. 2000 pound a week for Butcher? He's fuckin mince. We need Rangers men in the team. You mark my words, this is only the start of it, we'll drop more points next week against Hearts, fall apart and have to watch the sheep parading the trophy in front of us at Pittodrie in the second last game of the season. It'll be years before we catch up with them"

My clearest memory of the day was a single rolled-up scarf being thrown over my head from the top of the Govan when Sprott scored. It's taken on a weirdly cinematic quality in my mind, unfurling in slow motion against a blue sky as it floated down towards the track, probably set to classical music like a death scene in a gangster movie. o_O
Post of the thread!

Cap doffed.

I thought the scarf was at full time.
When the goal went in makes it a bit more Hollywood.

The scarf lying at the side of the pitch at full time was the photo in the Sunday Mail

Remember the game well with the ball running under big Slim's foot
Beat them in all 4 league games ironically too

Bobby.

Bobby was a year or two below me at school and the family lived along the street from us. They were all bluenoses and were all so excited about him playing at Ibrox. Unfortunately he got his leg broken fairly early in the game. So their big day turned sour very quickly.

Semi Final of the Challenge Cup next week. Dispatched Ross County and about to knock Hearts out of the Scottish Cup. Starting to pull off the Great Escaoe from relegation from the Championship.

Whats not to love?
Ah! The joy of diminished expectations.

“Starting to pull off the great escape from relegation from the championship.”

Good luck with that awesome achievement, Academical.:))

I used to have my breakfast with Gerry Collins at that time, I bet him 10 Breakfasts to one and gave him two goals of a start :D
He asked me where I sat and a couple of weeks later we played them in the League and he came right over and waved at the Govan, everyone thought he was having a go at them:D:D:D
I remember that- the crowd went mental, mind you Accies weren’t too popular because of the Cup match and Albert Craig’s behaviour at the game before that.

Hamilton won promotion in 1964-65, and competed (and I use the term loosely), in the top division in 65-66, finishing bottom with 8 points from 34 Games, and a goal difference of minus 90 (27-117).
Rangers beat Hamilton 7-1 away, with Jim Forrest bagging 5 goals.
One week later you were defeated 11-1 by Hibernian at Easter Road.
Ranger could only win 4-0 at home (Forrest and McLean 2 apiece).
Hamilton also failed to win any of their 6 League Cup ties (all against lower Division opponents).

I can understand why you might well have erased that season from memory ;)
Think the majority of the 8 points came in the last 2 months of the season. Even in their last match at Shawfield they were 4-0 down at halftime.

That last sentence is lyrical, poetic.

Think the majority of the 8 points came in the last 2 months of the season. Even in their last match at Shawfield they were 4-0 down at halftime.
Yeah, I did notice that, 5 points in their last 7 games, 0 points in their first 7, and 3 points in the 20 games between.

It's a good job the OP was just a wee boy when they went through that season, otherwise it could have affected him badly, and scarred the poor buggar for life, God forbid! :eek:

Back