Where was Katic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gerrard makes it clear in today's Press Conference that he made the decision he wanted to go with 'experience' and so brought in Helander and Barisic.

You can choose to believe him or not. As far as I'm concerned, so long as they do the job, I'm not fussed who he picks. Goldson, like a few others in our team, gets more stick than merited whilst others get more praise than is merited. Such is life. It will always be thus.

Goldson is clearly more mobile, has a better pass than Katic and is likely a better communicator - hence his manager backs him to switch up CB partners with ease - and he does.

Hellander is Cuellar

Feel for Katic, sometimes you just find yourself in a squad with better players - the reality is though he just isn't the player some on here spoken themselves into believing he is.
Katic is a lot more mobile and is a better passer of a footballer than Goldson.

Katic is a lot more mobile and is a better passer of a footballer than Goldson.

The Katic and Goldson who exist on here 100%

The Katic and Goldon who play on the big green thing, 100% not.

Goldson can ping a pass and break a defensive line in a way that would make a lot of Number 10's jealous.

The Katic and Goldson who exist on here 100%

The Katic and Goldon who play on the big green thing, 100% not.

Goldson can ping a pass and break a defensive line in a way that would make a lot of Number 10's jealous.
Goldson pings 99% of long balls out the park.

Gerrard makes it clear in today's Press Conference that he made the decision he wanted to go with 'experience' and so brought in Helander and Barisic.

You can choose to believe him or not. As far as I'm concerned, so long as they do the job, I'm not fussed who he picks. Goldson, like a few others in our team, gets more stick than merited whilst others get more praise than is merited. Such is life. It will always be thus.

That's what puzzles me, wants to go with experience but prefers Edmundson to Katic for the bench.

By that logic then no fans can ever have the opinion that the management team get things wrong?

Do you think the tactics and team selection against Celtic were spot on then?

No and I said as much.

The result and defensive performance suggests he got it spot on last night though.

He said he wanted to field an experienced back 4 to combat an excellent Feyenoord attack, which is exactly what they did.

As I've said previously, I'm a big fan of Katic and I expect him to continue to play a big part in the rest of the season.

As will Goldson, Helander and probably Edmundson too.

That's what puzzles me, wants to go with experience but prefers Edmundson to Katic for the bench.

Could be loads of reasons.

Spotted something tactically in them that would favor what Edmundson can bring if the game needed changed
Edmundson offering more when asked to enter a game
Edmundson offering better cover on either right or left side depending on which CB goes down.

I think fans can be guilty of assuming they are the smartest person in the room.

Coaches work from educated played, data at their disposal, straining and testing players in situations and scenarios fans never see.

By that logic then no fans can ever have the opinion that the management team get things wrong?

Do you think the tactics and team selection against Celtic were spot on then?

No, but the alternative is a created scenario that can be whatever the %^*& fans want it to be.

A coach will typically make a decision from a place of education.

A fan can rewrite a game based on their imagination.

If we are down to arguing about who's on the bench then things must be looking up. Lets be honest, a home match in the EL, barring an injury - which in reality seldom happens too often - we are not going to be bringing on a centre-back.

You could look at it two ways, Katic gets the hump at being bombed out the squad or Edmundson, who's barely had a sniff, gets a wee boost by being involved. Swings and roundabouts.

I love big Katic but the obsession with him on here is bordering on insane, You support Rangers not Nikola Katic.

Helander on last nights showing certainly justified his place in the team so if anything it's Goldson who will need to look over his shoulder.
He is absurdly popular on here for some reason. He’s a good player but he’s become some kind of cult hero.

I am sure the gaffer has his reasons but I don't believe he missed out completely because of tactical reasons. Katic has been one of our better players this season and certainly the better defender. I don't think Goldson offers anything that Katic can't do and I would trust Katic in our defence over Goldson actually (although, I do think Goldson is a good player).

I'd like to see a Katic/Helander central defence.

Goldson is his vice captain and he is the one who call the defensive line. Katic cannot do that yet.

Katic has had a fine start to the season but his form has declined over the past 2-3 games. If there was a change to be made 4 or 5 games back, it absolutely should have been Goldson dropped but he has been the better of the 2 recently.

I think we looked a good deal more solid last night than we have for a while now which is probably down to a few factors such as Barisic playing well, Helander playing well and Ryan Jack.

You could have dropped Goldson or Katić and there wouldn't have been many complaints.

Both good central defenders, both players have had shaky games this season. Gerrard clearly fancies Goldson over Katić.

Helander came in and was impressive.

It was either
I. Tactical re. the game
II. Tactical re. squad management/rotation
III. An internal skelp for some misdemeanour we don't know about.

Maybe all three.

Katic started the season really well and had many including me raving about his performances , he then had a dip and perhaps opened the door for Helander.
Having watched last night it appears no co-incidence that the left footed LB and left footed CB were two of the best performers on the park.

Since signing Katic who is right footed has played the left side of the partnership with 3 rotating LBs for what 15 months now? Yet Goldson is playing in his ideal position with the Capt at RB who will not be dropped. I'd love to see a Katic Helander pairing personally. And I think Edmundson is our best passing defender.

Since signing Katic who is right footed has played the left side of the partnership with 3 rotating LBs for what 15 months now? Yet Goldson is playing in his ideal position with the Capt at RB who will not be dropped. I'd love to see a Katic Helander pairing personally. And I think Edmundson is our best passing defender.

Madness isn't it.

If only we had a manager who had played at the highest level of football watching them everyday to enable him to make an educated call on who he thinks is our best defender.

Helander is world class and was always stepping into the side once up to speed

We need all 4 centre half’s why can’t people see this , look at Man City a club with billions but are now down to 1 for centre half due to injury

Katic will be back , edmusnen will play his part

Relax ffs
Don't know about world class, he was excellent last night though. It's good to have four good centre halves after the likes of Keirnan and Russel Martin.

Madness isn't it.

If only we had a manager who had played at the highest level of football watching them everyday to enable him to make an educated call on who he thinks is our best defender.

Honestly tired of this patter.

Is Gerrard above criticism from Rangers fans because none of us have played at his level?

Bare in mind he changed a solid defence last year to shoehorn Worrall into the team. His tactics against Celtic were atrocious and an amateur coach could've told him that it was the wrong way to go.

Is Gerrard above criticism from Rangers fans because none of us have played at his level?

Bare in mind he changed a solid defence last year to shoehorn Worrall into the team. His tactics against Celtic were atrocious and an amateur coach could've told him that it was the wrong way to go.

Gerrard is not above criticism no, of course not.

I would trust his judgement over an amateur coaches or people who have never played the game professionally though.

If we are down to arguing about who's on the bench then things must be looking up. Lets be honest, a home match in the EL, barring an injury - which in reality seldom happens too often - we are not going to be bringing on a centre-back.

You could look at it two ways, Katic gets the hump at being bombed out the squad or Edmundson, who's barely had a sniff, gets a wee boost by being involved. Swings and roundabouts.
Mynwords exactly to the boy next to me on Thursday night lol

Having only watched the highlights........

My guess is that having a left footed centre back suits a left sided wing back
I couldn’t see why that would be important at all.
Left side players for left sided positions is ideal but I can’t get how the partnership would benefit because of this.

Gerrard is not above criticism no, of course not.

I would trust his judgement over an amateur coaches or people who have never played the game professionally though.
When he’s being criticised because he’s not picking who any given poster(s) reckon should be is banal.
Especially when his selections are delivering results.

When he’s being criticised because he’s not picking who any given poster(s) reckon should be is banal.
Especially when his selections are delivering results.
He keeps picking goldson and even a blind man can see he is the weak link in defence.....
Gerrard last season tinkered every week with the team n it badically fucked us up.. goldson is a accident waiting to happen

Last edited:
Hellander deserves to keep his place in the line-up after Thursday. He was solid.

Goldson won't ever be dropped unless injured as he is vice captain.

Realistically when you spend 3 million on goldson and then 3 million on Hellander it was obvious those would be the permanent centre back pairing when fully match fit and ready.

He keeps picking goldson and even a blund man can see he is the weak link in defence.....
Gerrard last season tinkered every week with the team n it badically fucked us up.. goldson is a accident waiting to happen
There are a lot of blind men in our support then.
Oh, and also our management teaming won’t be just the manager.

This, genuinely may as well delete the forum if we can’t criticise the gaffer.

People moan about players getting it tight, written off... You rate a player and they become a cult hero according to FF.

Katić is a good young centre back who's made errors. Virgil van Djik makes mistakes. Connor Goldson makes costly errors yet doesn't get dropped.

Both Katic and Goldson had bad games in our last league game.
Gerrard clearly explained he went for experience in the backline for a reason, so that's why it was Katic that was didn't get the call rather than Goldson. He also said that people are not being bombed out or dropped, it's different players for different games and rotation. He also said that he has 4 good centre backs. Nothing to see here, stop complaining, Gerrard picked a winning team, and the experience paid off.

Katic will be back in the team in suitable games,I think Helander has played his way into being first choice now. Gerrard also said dont be surprised to see Edmundson get some game time as he's also doing well. It's a great problem to have.

People need to talk down goldson to make katic look better. Katic seems to have his errors erased from memory because he heads the ball a lot. Goldson is our best defender.

He said Goldson & Katic had a disagreement in training (like all players do).

The reality appears to be Gerrard is sticking with a defence that was relatively solid on Thursday.

Bill is always wrong. Katic started the game after he said it did he not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back