Where we are now, as Santa prepares to empty his sac over us

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
Keeping away from politics, and thereby the Erskine Bridge, for a while....

"Last Christmas we gave Rangers our hearts and the very next few games they f***ed up and ended up beating Celtic and yet making nothing of it...." as George Michael might well have sung. 2019?

Well it's been a mixed bag eh?

Europe
Mostly success after success. Back to back qualification from 1st round qualifiers and first team to also make knock out stages from 1st qualification. But...take away the context and we should have won the group. That YBB took 4 points from us is baffling. Also goals...scored 8 and Alfie hit 6. Of the others one was a midfielder, and the other a 25 yarder.

Cup Final
We have done it to death....but again we don't score enough goals when on top. Yes we were robbed but really it should have been over by half time.

League
Not bad...September home game against filth was a disaster. In general we started scoring plenty but have since come to rely on Alfredo. And when he misses, or is marked, we struggle, and when we struggle to score when on top we tend to drop points. BUT still in touching distance of vermin.

Overall
Midfield performing well, and creating very decent platform for us to control games. But something is wrong further forward with only Alfredo really doing anything at the moment. If he twists ankle or gets flu we could be f***ed. A huge job for management and coaches is finding blend up front that can chip in with goals. Maybe it's Jones, maybe not. We are further forward again, incrementally, from last season but work still to be done. A few players still who you just cannot see, even when squinting, being part of a successful trophy winning team.

Bring on the Malmo...

We are still a bit off. I don’t have full trust in the necessary changes required at the weekend for instance being up to scratch . We are at the stage of one bad result pre parkhead will likely see us being behind by more than 5 points. I expect Celtic to win the extra game against Hearts.

We require another attacking type right sided player and possibly a third striker to give us something different

By and large it’s been a superb season.

The cup game is the biggest disappointment. As you say, done to death but we should won it. There are bigger prizes on offer for us though!

The fact that we have improved to keep pace with a Celtic side that has also improved their points total since last year, speaks wonders for our consistency and the fact we have only dropped points three times. Our improvement on last season is that we really are title contenders.

And Europe. Utterly miraculous. From Progres two years ago to the last 32. There aren’t enough superlatives for that.

8/10 for the season so far.

We are still a bit off. I don’t have full trust in the necessary changes required at the weekend for instance being up to scratch . We are at the stage of one bad result pre parkhead will likely see us being behind by more than 5 points. I expect Celtic to win the extra game against Hearts.

We require another attacking type right sided player and possibly a third striker to give us something different

I agree with most of this.

We cannot afford to lose at Parkhead.

I think your overall assessment is about right. The 'mix' up top isn't right/isn't working - at the moment - and its leaving us under unnecessary pressure for periods of time in most games. We are undoubtedly, for now, over-reliant on Morelos for our goals. Perhaps understandably we also looked out on our feet in the last 15 against Young Boys. We probably need to make some changes but every game is just so important that it is 'risky' to do so.

This month though, is a bit of a monster. Horrendous fixture list and each and every one of the games smacks of 'last chance saloon'. It could all go horrendously wrong by 1 Jan or, if we win every game, we could be flying. We have it in us to do either. The margins are very, very slim.

Last edited:
We need other players to chip in with goals
Arfield, Kent, and the midfield 3 need to start scoring

We need (imvho):

A right wiger/inside forward who can score goals.

An attacking midfielder who can run at defences with the ball, go beyond the striker when we're attacking and chip in with 15 goals a season.

A strong, physical target man striker as back up.

Back