Where will Gio's next job be?

No but I also didn’t think we would go down in history as the worst ever team to grace the Champions League. There has been plenty of smaller teams in difficult groups over the years yet we managed to outdo them all.

We’re not the “worst ever team”. There’s a difference between team and worst record.

But some just love to push the yahoo soundbites.

His tactical awareness got us through tough ties. Him changing it vs leipzig second half was particularly shrewd.

He will do well at the right club. A club where draws are good results. Rangers didnt fit him and his style.

Bit harsh to rule him out of any managers job.

Why the hell could he not do that domestically? It’s like he was scared to change things up against dross like Motherwell and St Johnstone.

He'll get a job no problems. Our concern is about getting it right at Ibrox again .
At the moment I couldn't give a toss about where Gio goes. He won't have to worry about his finances, that's for sure. He's gone. We go on

He looked haunted at the end tbh.

Doesn’t need the money. If I was him I’d accept that retirement as a multi millionaire is a lovely thing and I’d wish him the very very best.

I think International management would suit him. He can focus solely on ball work and routines as the players will be getting their fitness training with their clubs.
I think he could be quite successful with a smaller country where there isn't the same weight of expectation.

Snapshot-2019-01-13%2Bat%2B03_15_29%2BPM-1895008759.png

He's only been out of work a short time but has he been linked to any clubs yet?

Although he was sacked, there's got to be some decent teams who will look at his European record and take notice you would think.
He probably has about 20mill in the bank, so don't worry about him. I am judging that on Dutch media articles before China and Rangers, where he was judged to have 13mil, It is not something I am making up. From 13 to 20 I am guessing on his pay-offs.

If he takes a job then hopefully this would benefit us financially - as I would imagine that we are still paying him, rather than handing over a seven-figure lump sum.

Good luck to Gio - seemed like a really decent guy who did achieve some great things during his time with us.

Some of these replies. Probably too young to remember being at Ibrox while Hibs beat us 2:0 while Jock Wallace was in charge and us taking it for granted.

He'll get a job, he's clearly a decent manager or he wouldn't have got us to Seville.

In the end the players just didn't buy into him and his tactics don't work when we play against 10 men in the box week in week out. Doesn't make him a bad manager, also can't help the language barrier probably caused problems aswell - for that reason I reckon he'll be somewhere in Holland or with the national team where he can speak more fluently.

A good shout someone mentioned about german teams aswell.

It's a shame it worked out the way it did but I can see him managing an International team at some point.

If he gets another job do we stop paying compo? I'm sure I've heard before that this is how it works with managers.

One of those situations where living in the moment is shit as a Rangers fan, but his overall record including a European final with an unfancied team will stand against most. He will be fine and I wish him well wherever he goes.

Getting Rangers to a European final wont go unnoticed and i could see him getting a big bucks job with some Arab national team
Plenty worse than Gio in the managers game

Why the hell could he not do that domestically? It’s like he was scared to change things up against dross like Motherwell and St Johnstone.

It's different tweaking a formation against a team playing football and leaving gaps to one refusing to move out from their own box and kick ball long.

One Injuries kicked in there really wasn't much to work with.
Take away the performance and manager.

Lawrence has actually been the biggest miss for us tbh After first few weeks I would have bet he would already be in double figures

Player who shoots from anywhere outside the box or gets into good positions to score.

I think gio had to go but he was only a part of the problem once injuries mounted up we should have tried to be more solid as a team until grind out results.

Should have better managed the squad playing time. Though the bank up players really arnt good enough

Cl let's be honest we needed points but reality is we should have defended and hit on break........ against Liverpool up until goldson injury we were holding out own after that we should have protected king more and shut space down once it went to 3 we should have just called in our box....... still not sure if that was players or gio tbh.

It's different tweaking a formation against a team playing football and leaving gaps to one refusing to move out from their own box and kick ball long.

One Injuries kicked in there really wasn't much to work with.
Take away the performance and manager.

Lawrence has actually been the biggest miss for us tbh After first few weeks I would have bet he would already be in double figures

Player who shoots from anywhere outside the box or gets into good positions to score.

I think gio had to go but he was only a part of the problem once injuries mounted up we should have tried to be more solid as a team until grind out results.

Should have better managed the squad playing time. Though the bank up players really arnt good enough

Cl let's be honest we needed points but reality is we should have defended and hit on break........ against Liverpool up until goldson injury we were holding out own after that we should have protected king more and shut space down once it went to 3 we should have just called in our box....... still not sure if that was players or gio tbh.
The whole injury excuse is used far too often. He seen us embarrassed by Celtic last season and he chucked a 6 point lead when we had pretty much a full squad. Lost 19 more points than Celtic since he came in and that’s not down to injuries.

There was absolutely nothing to suggest Gio was capable of winning the league with a full squad.

Straight from the Declan's mouth.

Only one of them would have such class.
Wow ..trust me fella , i went right off Gio and his fairy tactics the night we got bent over 3-0 at the piggery . Never in my life have i seen such a weak willed and spineless display from a Gers team at that cesspit . Then came the 4-0 humiliation too . We played like fairys . At least Beale will put some fight back into us . Onwards n upwards .

The whole injury excuse is used far too often. He seen us embarrassed by Celtic last season and he chucked a 6 point lead when we had pretty much a full squad. Lost 19 more points than Celtic since he came in and that’s not down to injuries.

There was absolutely nothing to suggest Gio was capable of winning the league with a full squad.
Not saying it is the full issue but it is a factor

He should tweak system more depending on who we play he did last year didn't this year as much.

Even the game at piggery this year the first 2 goals are basic player errors that he was going mental at....... the quick free kick not one of 3 players them stood in front of the ball he was screaming at them and they ignored him.

So he had to go as the players weren't responding but he's only part of the issue, players not doing basics poor recruitment, injuries.

Which is what I said once injuries mounted up he should have changed it so that we were solid ground out results until players came back.

But it's not just one thing its the combination that's caused issues

Wow ..trust me fella , i went right off Gio and his fairy tactics the night we got bent over 3-0 at the piggery . Never in my life have i seen such a weak willed and spineless display from a Gers team at that cesspit . Then came the 4-0 humiliation too . We played like fairys . At least Beale will put some fight back into us . Onwards n upwards .

Wasn't Beale there when a garbage 10 men Malmo pished all over us and St Mirren, St Johnstone, Aberdeen (twice) and a soon to be relegated Hearts papped us out cups?
Those performances were pretty spineless.

Pretty sure he was there when our season twice collapsed after New Year too mate.

The piggery resuls were unacceptable and Gio deserved criticism for that, however there's no need for the personal abuse of a manager who took us to a European Final, financially stabilised our football club with the revenue he generated last season and this season.
Let's not forget the first SC win since 2009 too.

55 was a massive achievement, but let's not forget celtic were an absolute shambles and were their worst team in modern times.

We beat 2 very good sides to qualify for the CL and after last season's CL failure, that shouldn't be forgotten.

Gio moving on is the correct decision, but let's not rewrite history, where Gerrard and Beale are concerned.

There were plenty of gutless performances under them.

His stock will be low, crap stint in china, sacked by us. Don’t expect to see him in a job any time soon

Nobody cares about the Scottish league. His stock in Europe will be high with the European run and champions league qualification.

Could see him in the bundesliga.

This all day long . The late great Jock Wallace always growled about “character” . Gio had all the character of a wet-wipe and showed that mhob far too much respect . I dont get why some fans think hes a Gers legend ..he vanished in his final season under Advocaat .

Wasn't Beale there when a garbage 10 men Malmo pished all over us and St Mirren, St Johnstone, Aberdeen (twice) and a soon to be relegated Hearts papped us out cups?
Those performances were pretty spineless.

Pretty sure he was there when our season twice collapsed after New Year too mate.

The piggery resuls were unacceptable and Gio deserved criticism for that, however there's no need for the personal abuse of a manager who took us to a European Final, financially stabilised our football club with the revenue he generated last season and this season.
Let's not forget the first SC win since 2009 too.

55 was a massive achievement, but let's not forget celtic were an absolute shambles and were their worst team in modern times.

We beat 2 very good sides to qualify for the CL and after last season's CL failure, that shouldn't be forgotten.

Gio moving on is the correct decision, but let's not rewrite history, where Gerrard and Beale are concerned.

There were plenty of gutless performances under them.
We had no gutless performances against the mhob at any venues under Gerrard & Beale , we had their number and they knew it . We went to the piggery scared under Gio …no heart , fight or character . Even Souness finally admitted he was wrong in his denial how important this fixture is .
Gios record against them is atrocious and indefensible .

We had no gutless performances against the mhob at any venues under Gerrard & Beale , we had their number and they knew it . We went to the piggery scared under Gio …no heart , fight or character . Even Souness finally admitted he was wrong in his denial how important this fixture is .
Gios record against them is atrocious and indefensible .

Tbh, I actually thought Gio had got their number, after running over the top of them in extra time in the SC Semi and being unlucky not to beat them in the 1-1 game at the piggery.

However, this season's gubbing showed that he hadn't learnt anything and that was inexcusable.

That said, his first season was way more successful than either of Gerrard's first 2.

He was tipped to take over after the World Cup as national boss earlier this week.

There was a random post in a thread a few weeks back saying Gio was taking over the Dutch team after the world cup and Michael Beale would be our new manager

It's didn't garber much attention at the time. Was prior to the WC break starting, think there was still a couple of games to go

Tbh, I actually thought Gio had got their number, after running over the top of them in extra time in the SC Semi and being unlucky not to beat them in the 1-1 game at the piggery.

However, this season's gubbing showed that he hadn't learnt anything and that was inexcusable.

That said, his first season was way more successful than either of Gerrard's first 2.
Fair enough ..Gio didnt have to start from scratch like Gerrard though . Gio also took over with a 4pt lead but we totally fkd the title race up . As much as we enjoyed the buzz of the Euro run ..if you gave me a choice of a Euro final loss or another league flag i would go for the league flag every time .

Back