Where would Rangers finish in the English championship.

It's hilarious and bizarre the comments in here.

Can only win the SPL 1 season out of 7 but would skoosh the English Championship haha

You mean the seasons we had a third of the budget we have now? you mean the seasons we were still recovering from what happened in 2012?.

The Rangers we have now is levels above the Rangers we had in 2016 and that's a fact.

I'm not saying we would blow the league away by any stretch but we would be up there or there abouts.

A number of our players have either been promoted from the championship or were highly rated in that very league, i.e Goldson, Davies, Roofe, Lawrence.

The real challenge would be the teams who had just been relegated and still have legacy players from their season in the premier league.

According to this site:
The teams that have the money are the relegated ones with their 2-3 years parachute payments. The prize money on offer in the Championship is comparatively little, with the winner expected to pick up around £100,000, and the second placed team £50,000. Add to that 7-8 million in tv money, so would Rangers be better off there without European money? I doubt it. It's also a relentless Sat/Tues slog, injuries to key players is another massive factor, poor quality officials. There are many factors. Would I expect Rangers to be taken over by someone with money? Probably, but again that is no guarantee of success. Do I expect Rangers to be promoted? Yes, with the right manager, players, crowd backing and luck, but I don't think it would be as easy as some on here think. It's never going to happen, but a bit of hypothetical dreaming is always fun.
I don't disagree with any of that, but I was answering the EPL question.
Yes it would be a slog at first, but if you were to put us into the top 2 tiers of English football, our rise would be potentially stratospheric.
In a heartbeat our sponsorship deals would rocket & as you've said (good thing or bad) it puts us front & centre in the shop window for a takeover a la Newcastle, Man City etc.
Teams mid to bottom table EPL do not have the pulling power we do - with a level playing field.
Put us in there, with their spending power & we'd be rivalling Utd, Chelsea et al for player signatures, which in turn makes the league a little easier with each (properly scouted) signing.

We would win the championship. The standard is poor, intact it’s very poor.

England media will have you think it’s fantastic and really competitive - it’s really not.

If Rangers went down to the Championship with this current squad - we’d be favourites to win the thing and that’s without adding players.

Luton are 4th ffs and they have Allan Campbell playing almost every week for them.

Hull are just below mid table and one of their better players is Greg Docherty.

QPR have Lyndon Dykes and Leon Balogun playing week in week out.

And Teemu Pukki lashes in 20 goals a season in that league.

We’d win it.

We've went from champions league groups and european finalists to 'playoff in championship'

Jesus.

We would win it no bother.
Far too simplistic, football doesn't work like that. If you want to look at it that way we went from European Finalists and Champions League groups to getting gubbed off St Johnstone and failing to beat St.Mirren and Livingston.

We've won 1 league title in 7 years in Scotland, so to say we'd win a harder league "no bother" is just ridiculous.

Far too simplistic, football doesn't work like that. If you want to look at it that way we went from European Finalists and Champions League groups to getting gubbed off St Johnstone and failing to beat St.Mirren and Livingston.

We've won 1 league title in 7 years in Scotland, so to say we'd win a harder league "no bother" is just ridiculous.

But we arent losing league titles to St Johnstone ffs. We are losing to a team of similar stature. We routinely finish 30pts ahead of the next best team in Scotland.

The lack of domestic titles is irrelevant because there isnt a team in the Championship at Celtics level either.

Can only win the SPL 1 season out of 7 but would skoosh the English Championship haha
Fair enough, i certainly dont see us ever winning easily there would be plenty of close games and a long season with so many fixtures so injuries must play a big part... but when you have finished laughing tell us what you believe would happen if this Rangers side with Beale started next year in the English championship ?

In current circumstances we would be battling for a playoff place. Despite the delusion of many on here, there are some very good teams in the championship, with highly rated and valuable players.

However, if we got into the championship and stayed there for a couple of years with the money available, we would probably get promotion to the EPL quite quickly
I have to agree with this.
The Championship is the toughest league to get out of. Every season 3 teams with budgets dwarfing most countries come down from the EPL, then you have the hardened campaigners, who get play off spots but don’t go up, then the lower teams that all scrap for anything to stay in the league. The general rule is any team can win any game. Under Warburton QPR had a great run for about 20 odd games, just the odd defeat, everyone had them for promotion, by the end of the 46 game season they were still in the Championship.
After the first season, we would be right in amongst it, but nothing is guaranteed in that league.

The championship is a competitive league but it’s actually not that great a standard. There’s normally a couple of good teams every season but the rest are way below Rangers level. I’d be surprised if we didn’t stroll it.

In terms of current squads a bad season for us or the Tims would be a playoff position, but I'd expect us both to be in the top 3. I reckon Hearts and in the past Hibs and Aberdeen would have had a good chance at staying up in the Championship. The standard of team in the Championship is vastly over rated. Over the WC I caught a few games but Sunderland Millwall was one that really stood out as being absolutely crap. They are 8th and 9th in the table at the moment and watching them, even Gio's team I'd have expected to batter them.

Personally I hope we never find out how we'd get on in English football. A pipedream of many on here, but if we ever made it to the prem would Rangers fans really accept a European place and a good crack at the Carabao cup as a successful season? We'd have to accept that it may be decades until our captain waves something shiny at us. Even if we were bought over by an oil baron, success wouldn't be immediate, and it would take a long time to catch up to the types of Manchester City.

I think we would make the play off in our first season and get promoted in the following season. I think a year to adjust is a reasonable amount of time as we can play decent football.

If we'd got rid of Gio sooner then we'd be right in this title race. Had we kept Beale we might have won the league last year but we'd not have had the EL final.

Do the people thinking we would struggle in the Championship just block out the fact that two seasons ago we won the SPL without losing a game and the following season got to the EL final on a fraction of the income most of these Championship clubs have?

Can they list for me the Championship teams that could beat Dortmund, Red Star, Braga, Leipzig, Porto, Legia, Feyenoord, PSV, Galatasary, Lech Poznan, Standard Liege, Antwerp and Sparta Prague?

The two runaway leaders of the Championship are Burnley and Sheffield Utd. You really think they would beat the current Rangers team over a season?

Clueless.

Always find these sort of hypotheticals interesting. If we were in England, we'd have access to English TV money, prizemoney etc etc. We may also have different investment/ownership. Equally, if tou put QPR or Preston in the SPL, they would have less resources instantly.

It's not as simple as lifting and dropping the current squads into a different league.

Well when you look at the standard of the league here bar us and the scum, you'd think at least a few of the championship teams would win the spl?
Think Burnley are another level to be honest. I can actually see next season being pretty weak in the Championship. All in all both leagues at the top end are absolutely miles away from the top leagues in Europe right now.

Do the people thinking we would struggle in the Championship just block out the fact that two seasons ago we won the SPL without losing a game and the following season got to the EL final on a fraction of the income most of these Championship clubs have?

Can they list for me the Championship teams that could beat Dortmund, Red Star, Braga, Leipzig, Porto, Legia, Feyenoord, PSV, Galatasary, Lech Poznan, Standard Liege, Antwerp and Sparta Prague?

The two runaway leaders of the Championship are Burnley and Sheffield Utd. You really think they would beat the current Rangers team over a season?

Clueless.
100% agree. I also find the constant 2 games a week would wear us out etc argument nonsensical. Aribo played more games than anyone else in world football last season. We've averaged north of 50+ per season for the past 4 years. It'd be second nature for us to play 3 games a week, not a culture shock. The answer to your question btw is no team in the championship would even get remotely close to those results and possibly 6 or 7 teams in the EPL would beat them all. Even then I personally think 6 or 7 EPL teams would be stretching it to match what we achieved. We don't half enjoy belittling the abilities of the team we purportedly love.

I reckon we would win it the 2nd year we where in it. Prob making the play offs the first year.

A thread that in some cases, shows how this forum can take pragmatism to a level bordering on negativity.

We'd win that league. First time with our current squad of players. It's the salaries that are inflated. In most instances the quality of player isn't great.

Clueless.
Has to be right now, pointless referring to the past really. Burnley were stronger 2/3 seasons ago when some of those ties were played, they finished 10th in 19/20, beating better sides in the Premier League arguably than many of those listed to be fair to them. Sheff Utd finished 9th that same season.

It’s a daft argument anyway, never going to get an answer to it.

Was looking over Beales time with QPR in the championship, good form followed by a drastic downturn.

For people who watch the championship how competitive is it and what is the quality like outside the top six teams?

Where would Rangers finish in it?

In the past you saw Scottish players taking that league by storm, players like McCormack, dorrans, Rhodes. Mcginn more recently.

Outside a few teams, rangers revenue can't be too far behind some of them, although I understand we get a massive chunk for European participation.
We could beat anybody in that league. There are players who perform outstandingly in that league that were journeymen for us, them and others in the SPL.

The problem is the length of the league season. 46 games followed by potentially another 3 if you make the play off final. You need a big squad.

I don't rate the championship think we could win it,we have no trouble beating there teams in friendlies only team can remember coming up taking something was Blackburn drawing

But we arent losing league titles to St Johnstone ffs. We are losing to a team of similar stature. We routinely finish 30pts ahead of the next best team in Scotland.

The lack of domestic titles is irrelevant because there isnt a team in the Championship at Celtics level either.
But we're losing league titles because we're failing to beat teams like St Johnstone regularly enough. Since Gerrard arrived our games/results against Celtic have been fairly even, so it IS against the diddy teams we trip ourselves up too often.

On our day of course we can beat anybody in the Championship, but in a 46 game season against teams of a much higher standard than what we're up against here, there's just nothing to say we'd win it easily like some are suggesting.

But we're losing league titles because we're failing to beat teams like St Johnstone regularly enough. Since Gerrard arrived our games/results against Celtic have been fairly even, so it IS against the diddy teams we trip ourselves up too often.

On our day of course we can beat anybody in the Championship, but in a 46 game season against teams of a much higher standard than what we're up against here, there's just nothing to say we'd win it easily like some are suggesting.

Fair dues mate.

To be honest, i think we would win it, but the greatest obstacle is 46 games and all the travelling - rather than talent.

Weve all watched some of our league performances in Europe after travelling. While its not jet lag. Bournemouth and Norwich arent exactly Paisley in terms of distance.

Reactions: TN8
It's hard for anyone to piss over that League purely down to the volume of games that get played. We'd need a slightly bigger squad, but I've no doubts we'd win it within a couple years. Think we'd be comfortably on the lower end of mid table in the Premier League. Our starting XI would comfortably beat any of the teams currently in the Championship in a one off game but like I say that's not what usually ends up being the problem for teams trying to get promoted. A deep cup run for example can properly upset your League campaign as the games become extremely frequent. One team winning four or five games in a row can shoot them right to the top of the table as well.

This Burnley team is running away with the league:

Arijanet Muric, Josh Cullen, Jack Cork (captain), Connor Roberts, Nathan Tella, Jay Rodriguez, Ian Maatsen, Anass Zaroury, Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Josh Brownhill, Jordan Beyer

How many of those would I swap with our best 11. The answer is not many.

With our current side, we've got players that are mostly lower Premier League upper Championship level. I'd say that puts you in the frame to win it or go up.

Our problem wouldn’t be talent it would be trying to enduring the 46 game slog that league is.

Arijanet Muric, Josh Cullen, Jack Cork (captain), Connor Roberts, Nathan Tella, Jay Rodriguez, Ian Maatsen, Anass Zaroury, Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Josh Brownhill, Jordan Beyer

I would hazard a guess that Burnley fans would say similar about swapping our players into their team though

There's some good players there but a load of dross and past their prime guys too.

I reckon we'd win it but suffer a couple of losses along the way.

Burnley are a very good side who have spent big but outwith them the standard isn't great. With Beale and the current squad i''d expect us to go up automatically.

With the financial backing of the English clubs and our size of support we would win it with the right squad.

Not with the current crop of players or owners, anything who thinks we'd automatically breeze that league is an idiot

Our problem wouldn’t be talent it would be trying to enduring the 46 game slog that league is.

That’s the biggest test - endurance. While I enjoy the competitiveness of the Championship, the quality isn’t great.

With the current squad, I’d be confident of getting automatic promotion. But it wouldn’t be straightforward.

Genuinely think if they put us and them in the championship in any given season the only question of position would be who’s 1st and who’s 2nd between us.

Watch a fair bit of championship games and how open they are is ridiculous. We’d smash the majority of that league on a weekly basis

24 teams in the Championship and their top 10 are clearly a cut above the 10 below us in the Scottish Premier. A few of the rest of the Championship stragglers may be as good as those (below us) that we are facing every week. So we might need one or two seasons while adjusting and rebuilding.
Reading in 16th are miles ahead of the bottom 6 in the SPL.

In fact Cardiff who are 4th bottom are miles ahead of the bottom 6 in the SPL

I think we would be challenging for the play offs at first.

Once the financial benefits were realised and we were about to upgrade out squad accordingly I think we would win it.

Premiership would be a different matter - would take a number of years to be challenging for the top spot.

Depends how serious we take the FA cup

joking aside if we were placed in the championship next season we’d be promoted within 2 years imo

There's no doubt that in a single one off match we would beat every Championship side quality wise. But it's not single one off games. The Championship is a slog. A lot of our players have only done it over 38 games once in their Rangers careers and a lot of them haven't actually done it consistently over a lower league 46 game English season either.

I think if we started in there next season we would do well to make the play-offs. After that though we would be competitive. But I don't think it would be all plain sailing. We would also lose a lot of our selling points on player attractiveness like playing in Europe. To some we would be just another club with a great history with a decent stadium, and as teams like Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Forest and Sunderland have found out over the last 20 years that counts for %^*& all.

I'd take Rodriguez and Zaroury in a heartbeat.

We'd get a bit of a shock in the Championship IMO. The 4/5+ goal victories over dross like Ross County or St Johnstone, beaten men before the kick off, would be a thing of the past and every game would be a proper battle.

I certainly think we would finish top 6, but not win it first year because it's just too difficult a league to win with zero experience. After a couple of years of the EFL money, we'd be in a great position to get promoted.

There must be a healthy flow of delusion in the water system…

We would play more competitive teams, in a far more challenging league physically and mentally.

I think Top 4 for sure, but winning by a distance?
We cant even win our own league bar one season where the main opposition were like a comedy show.
Until we start to dominate our own domain, any talk of cantering away in Championship is a delusion of grandeur.

We'd win it. Questions about our squad too..... Do any Championship club have the below in reserve?

Ridvan
Souttar
Helander
Jack
Davis
Raskin
Arfield
Lawrence
Hagi
Cantwell
Roofe

That's a lot of internationals

Not to mention the Wrights Colaks Matondos Lowry Sands etc

A lot of our support don't appreciate how decent our team and squad is imo
We can debate how we’d get on, but regarding your comments:
Helander and Roofe perma-injured;
Ridvan and Lawrence injured;
Davis injured and probably finished for us;
Souttar not match fit and another guy constantly injured during his career;
Cantwell isn’t a reserve, not a chance of that;
Wright not good enough;
Matondo doesn’t look good enough;
Sands doesn’t look good enough no matter where he plays.

Let’s not kid on we have enormous regularly available strength in depth.

Back