Where would Rangers finish in the English championship.

There must be a healthy flow of delusion in the water system…

We would play more competitive teams, in a far more challenging league physically and mentally.

I think Top 4 for sure, but winning by a distance?
We cant even win our own league bar one season where the main opposition were like a comedy show.
Until we start to dominate our own domain, any talk of cantering away in Championship is a delusion of grandeur.

Agree with this. Total value of our squad is probably commensurate with the top teams in Championship (i.e. those in playoff stages) but it is a notoriously difficult league. A proper slog. Somebody said recently that the top 6 of the Championship and the bottom 6 of the premier League are fairly interchangeable, and while I'm not sure I'd go that far, it's definitely not a crazy idea.

It's a slog, and the overall quality of opposition is much higher than what we face in Scotland.

If we were in the Championship next season, I think we'd realistically be in with a chance of getting to the play-offs - I doubt we'd be winning it outright, or getting automatic promotion via second place. We'd get there in a couple of seasons though.

And though I hundred percent would love to see us in the PL, I don't buy into this idea that the money would mean we'd be a force right away. Look at some of the big clubs there that have struggled (Newcastle, Everton etc.) over the years. That's the long term dream, and I absolutely think it would be for the benefit of our wonderful club.

We wouldn't win it with this squad. The Championship is a very hard league to win, our squad isn't strong enough to sustain a challenge all season to win it. We are well off the pace in the SPL, why would it be different in the Championship.

There must be a healthy flow of delusion in the water system…

We would play more competitive teams, in a far more challenging league physically and mentally.

I think Top 4 for sure, but winning by a distance?
We cant even win our own league bar one season where the main opposition were like a comedy show.
Until we start to dominate our own domain, any talk of cantering away in Championship is a delusion of grandeur.

No one epitomises 'delusions of grandeur 'more than supporters of English teams.

The competitiveness while bringing a challenge would also work in our favour.

Our problem wouldn’t be talent it would be trying to enduring the 46 game slog that league is.
On the one hand yes you have more league games, but on the other you wouldn’t have European games so in the first half of the season at least it wouldn’t be that different to how many games we normally play.

I would guess the physical and mental and travelling demands would be a problem for us .

I’d like to think we could be top 6 in the first season or two but honestly couldn’t be confident on that .

On the positive side I feel `Tim’s would be relegation threatened as all the clubs in that league would subscribe to ‘anyone but sellick ‘

Tbh I would like us to play in that league structure but it’s not happening

I would probably put it on par with our top 6 at there best form
So we would probably win it every other yr

I would guess the physical and mental and travelling demands would be a problem for us .

I’d like to think we could be top 6 in the first season or two but honestly couldn’t be confident on that .

Really? I think we underestimate the mental demands in Scotland when any dropped point can have a significant impact on the title race.

As dominant as Fulham were last season, they still lost 10 games + drew 9 of their 46 games.

All speculation we will never know, but interesting the question is asked after a very good performance on wed, ask the same question on the tues and i would say no chance ;)

Cant imagine the top championship teams getting as bad a scudding in Europe as what we did this season. For what its worth, yes after reaping the financal benefits i think we'd win it. But this team, right now? I'd think play offs would be our goal.

Very tough league in which we would probably finish mid table for a few seasons before reaching play offs or finishing 1st or second.

Are people forgetting we played over 60+ games last season, including numerous games against opposition far beyond what's in the championship.

Fulham who won the league last year dropped points in 19! games, the leeway in that league is far greater than the pressure we have up here to win the league.

I suppose it’s tempting to look at what Beale had achieved initially with QPR and believe we’d do just as well if not better, but I think those believing we’d comfortably win the Championship at our first attempt are maybe being a bit unrealistic.

If we went straight in next season with the same group of players and budget I think we might find the intensity of competition a real challenge over the course of an entire season.

The worst team in the Championship is probably still better than the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, etc and those at the top end on a par with ourselves and the Beasts.

I think that would likely need a longer period acclimatising to than just one season alone - remember how we struggled in the Scottish Championship despite having the biggest budget?

At the same time, if we got off to a flyer it’s entirely possible we might sustain it as we rode the momentum and confidence, and if we had access to the greater funds on offer in that division we should be able to afford better players, but all in all I’m still inclined to say it might take us two or three seasons to get out of it.

Probably relegated.

C

Current squad we’d be bottom 5, probably relegated
With the current squad, that's likely true but Rangers would have no shortage of investors beating on the door and other greatly improved revenue streams in the English championship, never mind in the EPL.... So I think Rangers pretty quickly would become a top-6 EPL team. That doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that they would be that today.

Surely someone has transferred Rangers into the English Championship in Football Manager and can enlighten us?
Not this but a different more objective method would be the ClubElo rankings or the "supercomputer" club rankings.

ClubElo first because of the staunch points at the start of this season, as on 3rd August 2022 Rangers had ( and I kid you not :)) ) a total of 1690 Elo points. This ranked as 17th in England, equal with Burnley the highest ranked in the Championship. So a title battle but a comfortable top 2 finish and promotion projected from the Championship or a relegation battle in EPL.

Supercomputer 538 currently rank us with 66.5 points, a good 10 higher than Burnley, projected as runaway winners of championship. EPL clubs around this mark are Leicester, Fulham, Palace and Leeds.

Interestingly this backs up the subjective opinions of most on FF, ignoring the wildly optimistics and the glass half empty/timposter types!

Cant imagine the top championship teams getting as bad a scudding in Europe as what we did this season. For what its worth, yes after reaping the financal benefits i think we'd win it. But this team, right now? I'd think play offs would be our goal.
Liverpool supporters rated us as a 1st Division team at best after the 2 games that's how much damage to our reputation we did.

With the current squad, that's likely true but Rangers would have no shortage of investors beating on the door and other greatly improved revenue streams in the English championship, never mind in the EPL.... So I think Rangers pretty quickly would become a top-6 EPL team. That doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that they would be that today.
Of course but that’s a different question. If we were an established EPL team with the EPL money I think we’d be top 10 as players would want to join us

How many championship teams would get to a European final?

I hate threads like this as Rangers playing in English football would be very different to rangers operating in Scottish football given the resources English teams get and the potential sponsorships on offer a massive institution like rangers would then get Dione there

Here is the reality if we played in English football you could expand Ibrox to a stadium that holds 80k and easily fill it and would be one of the biggest teams in the premier league.

We would win the league.
QPR have a few quality players and a bunch of journeymen. Alot of the teams are similar to this. An ageing Lee Wallace was starting for QPR not that long ago. Genuinely think we would be going toe to toe with Burnley for the title

Financial benefits? It's not EPL high, it's 8 mill a season and you lose European football and the cash from that. Wages to attract ( even dross) players are higher. A lot of players who sign for Rangers at present from down South do it ( partly) as an easy route to playing in Europe on those legendary European Nights. That more or less guaranteed draw for them would be gone. Someone said above that it would be the same playing Sat/Tues as playing in Europe. I don't agree, playing European games is a totally different enviroment and more patient style than a " cold night in Stoke". The only saving grace is that the Pulis style of manager is dying out. Most managers now think they are Guardiola or Klopp, but don't have the team good enough to implement it. Get a decent manager ( Beale maybe ), a team that plays well together and gels ( they don't have to be the best players in the league ) a fairly injury free season and Rangers could win it but there is no given that they would. The other downside is that, should they not go up in the first season, any player who had done well could be lured away by the EPL riches. But again it's all fantasy and never going to happen.

We’ve won every possible trophy that CAN be won in this backwater. Time to do it in England now.

We would be very competitive from the word go. We would also then become very attractive to the kind of takeover that has propelled the likes of Newcastle forwards. We are a globally recognised big name, a fantastic stadium as it is that could be enhanced with the kind of money that could be made available and the EPL would await.

It wouldn’t be as easy as some are making out.

The worst team in the championship would easily be the 3rd best in Scotland

Yeh with our current squad as is I think we’d be fighting it out at the bottom.

With the potential investment/sponsors etc we’d be right up there and show some of that lot what it really means to be a big club. All hypothetical of course, for the time being anyway.

Top 3, it's not as easy as a lot think!
English football is a horrid place to play.

The distances they travel and the fact every team is full of big, athletic lumps make it a very hard slog.

Technically our players are, in the main, better but the size and strength of a good number of the players down south is mental.

Liverpool supporters rated us as a 1st Division team at best after the 2 games that's how much damage to our reputation we did.

Why would you even listen to that kind of comment and - even worse - give it credence?

Thankfully the likes of Cantwell & Raskin, for example, haven’t been deterred from signing.

Yeh with our current squad as is I think we’d be fighting it out at the bottom.

With the potential investment/sponsors etc we’d be right up there and show some of that lot what it really means to be a big club. All hypothetical of course, for the time being anyway.

I go and watch Cov City when we are not playing. I have seen nearly every championship side. I have not seen a single one that will beat us over a season. Anyone who thinks Luton Town, Middlesbrough, Sheffield Utd, Watford etc beats us clearly haven't watched them

I go and watch Cov City when we are not playing. I have seen nearly every championship side. I have not seen a single one that will beat us over a season. Anyone who thinks Luton Town, Middlesbrough, Sheffield Utd, Watford etc beats us clearly haven't watched them
I think you misunderstand me mate. I was responding to what I thought was a comment about the premier league, not the championship, even though that’s what the thread is titled as.

I’ve stated previously that I think we’d win the championship with our current squad.

Financial benefits? It's not EPL high, it's 8 mill a season and you lose European football and the cash from that. Wages to attract ( even dross) players are higher. A lot of players who sign for Rangers at present from down South do it ( partly) as an easy route to playing in Europe on those legendary European Nights. That more or less guaranteed draw for them would be gone. Someone said above that it would be the same playing Sat/Tues as playing in Europe. I don't agree, playing European games is a totally different enviroment and more patient style than a " cold night in Stoke". The only saving grace is that the Pulis style of manager is dying out. Most managers now think they are Guardiola or Klopp, but don't have the team good enough to implement it. Get a decent manager ( Beale maybe ), a team that plays well together and gels ( they don't have to be the best players in the league ) a fairly injury free season and Rangers could win it but there is no given that they would. The other downside is that, should they not go up in the first season, any player who had done well could be lured away by the EPL riches. But again it's all fantasy and never going to happen.
I largely agree with you.

However, re your last sentence, there is a wee bit of hope that this might produce something interesting, I understand that it is due to be decided soon (and brought by the same legal team involved with Bosman - so definitely not "no chance"):

We wouldn't win it with this squad. The Championship is a very hard league to win, our squad isn't strong enough to sustain a challenge all season to win it. We are well off the pace in the SPL, why would it be different in the Championship.
Exactly, it's a far superior league than the mustard that's in the SPL.

First season we would be mid table, however no team in England has the domestic support we enjoy so sponsorship and league money would allow us the strengthen and be very competitive. Second season we would be pushing for promotion.
As for the EPL we would eventually be a top 6 team

What sort of question is this OP.

Is it a stealth IQ test to uncover who says anything other than champions :)

Back