Where would Rangers finish in the English championship.

Was looking over Beales time with QPR in the championship, good form followed by a drastic downturn.

For people who watch the championship how competitive is it and what is the quality like outside the top six teams?

Where would Rangers finish in it?

In the past you saw Scottish players taking that league by storm, players like McCormack, dorrans, Rhodes. Mcginn more recently.

Outside a few teams, rangers revenue can't be too far behind some of them, although I understand we get a massive chunk for European participation.
We narrowly missed out on the EUFA Cup last year, ffs. Several Premier League teams fell in our wake. Why is this even a question, a Scottish inferiority complex?

Not as easy as some here seem to think it would be.

Consistently playing better quality teams would take alot of adapting to.

Christ we sometimes struggle againt jobbers up here

We would struggle through the muck. Same as we fought our way back. Look at some teams like Newcastle who epl who bit back and it took time. Look at Leeds ffs. Financially we would succeed, that’s business sense and we would thrive, our brand and fan base, our passion. Scottish football is dog shhht so let’s get down there asap

As a veteran of watching Championship football, there is clearly a lot of ignorance (unintentional) around the challenge it poses.

Firstly, it is a brilliant division to watch football in. 23 other Teams, many who have great travelling support and fill the circa 2,200 away end at home games (when our away end was 4000 many Teams filled it). We also travel in decent numbers, averaging 1,500+ per match (not bad as there a lot of long journeys).

So you get some great atmospheres too.

I watch a lot of Scottish football and don’t miss many Rangers matches on TV.

The standard and competitiveness of the Championship (and quality of Players playing in it) is above the SPL in my opinion.

The Championship would also be a much more enjoyable league for Rangers to play in due to the differing opponents (23 of them). It would though be a much sterner test than is currently the case. Cup games are one thing.

Rangers have the quality and capability to of course be at the very top end of the Championship. From a standing start, walk it?, not for me (the quality and variation of opposition week in week out would take some getting used to). But to get promoted either automatically or via the play-offs would be a good bet.

I prefer the Championship to the Premier League. Many Premier League Clubs fans who have had stints in the Championship will tell you the same.

Leading on to the Premier League, it’s that old and valid argument. Give Rangers a few years of the Sky money and who knows where that could take them in that division.

As a veteran of watching Championship football, there is clearly a lot of ignorance (unintentional) around the challenge it poses.

Firstly, it is a brilliant division to watch football in. 23 other Teams, many who have great travelling support and fill the circa 2,200 away end at home games (when our away end was 4000 many Teams filled it). We also travel in decent numbers, averaging 1,500+ per match (not bad as there a lot of long journeys).

The standard and competitiveness of the Championship (and quality of Players playing in it) is above the SPL in my opinion.

The Championship would also be a much more enjoyable league for Rangers to play in due to the differing opponents (23 of them). It would though be a much sterner test than is currently the case. Cup games are one thing.

Rangers have the quality and capability to of course be at the very top end of the Championship. From a standing start, walk it?, not for me (the quality and variation of opposition week in week out would take some getting used to). But to get promoted either automatically or via the play-offs would be a good bet.

I prefer the Championship to the Premier League. Many Premier League Clubs fans who have had stints in the Championship will tell you the same.

Leading on to the Premier League, it’s that old and valid argument. Give Rangers a few years of the Sky money and who knows where that could take them in that division.
Too many folk up here have no idea of the physical demands on players in the 4 English divisions and dismiss the intensity and sheer effort needed to succeed.

I've no doubt given the amount of money we could generate 'dann sarf' as a club, we would be competitive, but it would take time and a realisation we were no longer a big fish in a small pool.

We are a great club with a good reputation globally and better players would no doubt sign for us, and we would eventually rise to the top, or thereabouts, but it would not be as quick a success as some would believe.

46 games against sides on average better than SPFL cannon fodder. Cannon fodder we get 1 goal wins against on the most part.

That said, I’d probably still say play-offs with our current squad

It’s all relative. If we benefited from the money/resources available we’d win it fairly quickly.

Too many folk up here have no idea of the physical demands on players in the 4 English divisions and dismiss the intensity and sheer effort needed to succeed.

I've no doubt given the amount of money we could generate 'dann sarf' as a club, we would be competitive, but it would take time and a realisation we were no longer a big fish in a small pool.

We are a great club with a good reputation globally and better players would no doubt sign for us, and we would eventually rise to the top, or thereabouts, but it would not be as quick a success as some would believe.

Good post!. Being a Rangers fan, most matches you win and I would say every match you expect to win.

Does winning every week ever get a bit boring?.

Now trust me, I wish we were winning more matches than we are currently!. I do though enjoy the element of the unknown that goes with following such a Club as ours.

You really have no idea one week to the next if you are going to win (it’s a big part of the charm for me). More often than not you don’t!.

Also, when you don’t win so many, the wins when they do arrive are really enjoyable.

I have no idea of what it iis like to follow a Club that wins most matches.

Top.

Our budget would increase vastly in the Championship compared to what we have just now. Also teams wouldn’t sit in against us and given what this squad did against Dortmund, Leipzig etc I honestly don’t see us having a problem against teams that are filled with overpaid journeymen dross.
I fully agree with all this.
What would be interesting for a fan base is that 28 wins would likely be enough.

Losing 25% of your games would be a hard one to swallow even getting promoted, need to recondition ourselves!

Good post!. Being a Rangers fan, most matches you win and I would say every match you expect to win.

Now trust me, I wish we were winning more matches than we are currently!. I do though enjoy the element of the unknown that goes with following such a Club as ours.

You really have no idea one week to the next if you are going to win (it’s a big part of the charm for me). More often than not you don’t!.

Also, when you don’t win so many, the wins when they do arrive are really enjoyable.

Winning every week doesn’t get boring. It probably means more here because if you don’t then the other mob will.

I genuinely believe we have players who are technically as good if not better than most in England but physically we struggle to match the size and power of the players in the 4 Divisions.

Throw in the distances teams travel on a regular basis and the number of games played and it almost becomes almost a different game.

I am far from saying we wouldn't be successful, I just reckon it would not be a quick transition.

46 games against sides on average better than SPFL cannon fodder. Cannon fodder we get 1 goal wins against on the most part.

That said, I’d probably still say play-offs with our current squad

It’s all relative. If we benefited from the money/resources available we’d win it fairly quickly.
Joe Aribo played 70 games all in last year , all of our big players played a FULL season , i said this earlier how many championship sides would get to a Uefa cup final not just this season but any season

Joe Aribo played 70 games all in last year , all of our big players played a FULL season , i said this earlier how many championship sides would get to a Uefa cup final not just this season but any season

The answer is straight forward, no Championship Club would get to a UEFA Cup Final.

Glamorous European Cup ties are one thing. Luton Town away (as part of a long slog of a 46 Match season) on a cold December Tuesday night is somewhat different.

I think we'd struggle at first, but after a couple of seasons we would do well and be in the playoff spaces. I think not having Europe or even the prospect of a European place would seriously hurt us, however. It would be another slog up the ranks that we all did not enjoy the last time we did it.

You can’t compare league with knockout competition.

West ham finished in 7th last season and made it to the semis of the EL. By your logic we’d have finished above them and secure European football? In the EPL? No chance.

Fulham won the championship last season having played 8 games more than us in the league. Their points total? 90. One more than we got in a league far poorer (on average) to secure second place.

I think we’d compete very well but those thinking it would be a skoosh are having themselves on.

We aren’t even top of the SPL so to say we would win the Championship with ease is a bit of a stretch. Very competitive league where if you take the top 2/3 and bottom 2/3 out there is nothing between the sides in that league.
This place really is schizophrenic. Forum has been going crazy for weeks about how boring and slow our style of play is, yet we now have 99% of posters on this thread having us win the English championship at ease. And this against teams who are significantly better than the hearts, hibs and aberdeens of this world

Would you give up on Europe for the foreseeable for rangers to be in the premier League?
I would give up everything to get away from those bastards sadly if it ever happens they will be coming along too,unless one of us ceased to exist nae luck Dr Reid .

This place really is schizophrenic. Forum has been going crazy for weeks about how boring and slow our style of play is, yet we now have 99% of posters on this thread having us win the English championship at ease. And this against teams who are significantly better than the hearts, hibs and aberdeens of this world.
Theres people getting carried away on both sides of the debate if you ask me.

It would be tough thats for sure the amount of games, travel etc, we are talking about a 2nd div though the teams that fight it out to 9/10 fail in the top league.

I may be the only one, and again its not a very important debate or something i am annoyed about or wish to argue, anyway.... i think following on from the point about Burnley being in our league i really believe if they were Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts would test them. On their own park at least.

I think it was Burnley that drew Aberdeen in europe(different time/sides i know) and we heard it would be easy but 2 ties were quite close.

It would be tough thats for sure the amount of games, travel etc, we are talking about a 2nd div though the teams that fight it out to 9/10 fail in the top league.

I may be the only one, and again its not a very important debate or something i am annoyed about or wish to argue, anyway.... i think following on from the point about Burnley being in our league i really believe if they were Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts would test them. On their own park at least.

I think it was Burnley that drew Aberdeen in europe(different time/sides i know) and we heard it would be easy but 2 ties were quite close.

Sean Dyche actually brought them back to pre season training early, to prepare for those games and played a full strength side in both legs.

Both matches could've gone either way and were very close.

I think Burnley had finished 6th in the EPL the previous season too.

Got to agree, watching Bournemouth in the Championship is way better than the struggle at the bottom of the EPL. However the new owners seem to want to push them on. Bit late for this season I think, but interesting times down there.

Drew the first leg 1-1 and Burnley won the second leg at home 3-1

Love the bravado on here .
The Championship is 10x more competitive than the SPL and we aren’t even leading that.
Give over.

We’re Europa League Finalists.

Luton are 4th with Allan Campbell in midfield.
Sheff Utd are 2nd with Paul Heckinbottom as manager and Fod in goal.

It's hilarious and bizarre the comments in here.

Can only win the SPL 1 season out of 7 but would skoosh the English Championship haha
Not beating Celtic doesn’t equate to not beating Luton and Millwall.

Absolutely delusional to think we’d win the Championship at the first time of asking.

Genuinely think it would take us two to three seasons at least to get out of the league.

Absolutely delusional to think we’d win the Championship at the first time of asking.

Genuinely think it would take us two to three seasons at least to get out of the league.
Delusional to think we could win Englands 2nd division ?

Pretty sure we(and the tims tbh) would be one of the favs if it did happen, not clear favs but certainly one of 6 or 7 sides at the top of the betting.

Delusional to believe we can win CL or EPL, or even CL places in the top league at the first go, fair enough... but 2nd div come on mate you must be joking.

The team that wins League 1, Plymouth or Wed possibly, might well go close next season.

We narrowly missed out on the EUFA Cup last year, ffs. Several Premier League teams fell in our wake. Why is this even a question, a Scottish inferiority complex?
Just to jog your memory, we also spunked a league, twice in the one year.

This squad gave us our most humiliating home defeat since the 1880s, amidst multiple doings in the group sections.

We can't beat the likes of St Johnstone with any degree of dominance or assurity, or St Mirren or the worst Aberdeen side in living memory.

At time of writing, we're struggling at home today against the third bottom of the league on points/GD, but aye, this same squad woud skoosh the English championship.

Aye, right you are.

Going off the subject slightly, a cup competition for all UK leagues would be brilliant. Throw some draws to travel to all parts of Britain. Obviously celtic wouldn't get an invite

We’d win it. And with the promotion money and tv money in the Prem, after a few years we’d be a top 6 club.
Rangers are a bigger club than the lot, other than possibly Liverpool and Man United

I’ve never really understood the hard on for us to move to the English leagues tbh.

If we started in the championship, we would be competing at the top of the league. We would make it to the EPL within a year or two. Fück that though. End up becoming a plastic, soulless football club.

Give me Scottish football every time.

If, big IF, Rangers were in English Championship they should be able to compete. Rangers average player salary is about 30% higher than most clubs but only 2/3 of Burnley.

Every year the clubs relegated from EPL are the ones in contention for going straight back up. Therefore Rangers should be contending for the play off positions. Checking tables today there are 10 clubs within 6 points of a playoff position, or, to put it another way, a total of 16 clubs vying for promotion.
To think that Rangers would stroll into EPL is delusional. While Rangers might be able to compete salary wise initially, without the money from Europe would they still be able to afford a higher salary?
And would supporters be prepared for a string of defeats?

IMHO Rangers would be better off in Scotland trying to drag other clubs, kicking & screaming, into a more professional, and commercial, set-up
That ship has sailed, if anything we’re going in the opposite direction.

Of course we’d miss European money but we’d be compensated with TV money which would probably exceed our average takings from Europe.

Never in a million years.

I have no desire for us to be part of that overhyped, tourist circus. We are Scotland’s standard bearers.

Thus my earlier comment re preferring the Championship to the Premier League!.

I don’t watch Premier League football. I do though watch Championship, Scottish and English National League (some great games).

Don’t think I will get much agreement on here, but in my opinion, SPL matches are a far better watch than English Premier League. Usually less predictable, more competitive / entertaining with referees allowing more to go unchecked. Just a good watch.

But!, as per the Championship thread. I prefer the Championship to all leagues. Please also see a comment on here from a Bear who also goes to Bournemouth matches stating the same (in terms of preferring Championship to English Premier League)..

You Rangers fans would have a ball. Some great train and bus journeys to some cracking grounds with some great atmospheres / matches week in week out. I think you would also be very surprised by (depending on allocation) how many away fans would turn out at Ibrox particularly from some Clubs you wouldn’t expect.

Last edited:
The Championship is a bit of a crapshoot

No one can say with any certainty who will win it at the start of any season. Some relegated EPL teams go straight back up and others go down again to League 1. Its competitive and chaotic

Its also a slog. 46 games and loads of midweek fixtures at tricky grounds

Honestly with our lack of squad depth I think we’d be aiming for a play off spot. Automatic promotion requires squad depth & luck

Anywhere between 4th and 12th is realistic on any given season

One of they threads I ignored and I've seen it's still rumbling on. Is this even a debate? We would rinse that league, this English superiority complex and 'farmers league' shit is a nonsense. Us and them stroll that league.

That ship has sailed, if anything we’re going in the opposite direction.

Of course we’d miss European money but we’d be compensated with TV money which would probably exceed our average takings from Europe.
The TV money is about £8m which includes the payment received from the Premier League’s TV deal (£4.5m), the equal share pay out from Football League’s TV deal (£2.5m) and the payment received for actually being on TV somewhere between £10 and £100k
I think that we probably got more than that in gate receipts, let alone in prize/appearance money.

Back