Where Would Tavernier Rank In A List Of Captains?

Depends how you measure it really. Number of trophies? Appearances? Staunchness? Goals? Etc.

I have to say for me it’s character and trophies. One is easily measurable and the other is subjective. Both put Barry above Tav for me at the moment. I may change my opinion if we win the next two trophies mind!

I think the best (certainly in my lifetime). To come from wigan when the club was a mess and to captain the club to 55 and a euro win would eclipse anything Gough ever did. Gough was a great captain and player but he was captain of a side with great players and a massive budget compared to others in the league.

For me it would put him in that elite category that only includes John Gregg as a European winning captain

Also a serious contender to be included in our all time greatest 11. Incredibly high level of competition from Jardine but the achievement would be that big historically

For achievement, overturning so many doubters, from the Championship to the EL - he has to, for achievement, and being in such a poor team to being where he is now, has to be the best.

Gough won so many medals, in the best team in the league, with the best players and the biggest cheque book.

Greig played when it was just men with a ball, no great gulf in terms of facilities, cash etc.

Both better leaders of men, but for achievement it has to be Tav for me IF we win EL.

Very eloquently put. I love Gough and the 9iar team but it really was a different time and we were utterly dominant and would outspend everyone. These days dare I say it we are the underdogs and Tav has stepped up time and time again.

Tav has grown into the role.
One thing, being Captain of Rangers is a bit like being President of the United States.
Just as those who are out of office remain “Mr President”, even when your playing days are over you continue to be a Captain of Rangers.

The great ones recognise that, comport themselves with dignity and remember at all times they still represent the Club. They never bad mouth the Club or do anything to damage its reputation.
That’s not to say they can’t criticise or speak out if they believe they see wrong being done, that too is part of their duty, but it does govern how they direct that criticism.

Last edited:
… If we win the EL?

Captain of the side when we won our greatest triumph, and captain of the side in our most celebrated league title.

Only behind Greig and Gough, for me.
Probably the two I’d have ahead of him as well.
I considered Butcher, Ferguson and Weir as well.

Greig then Tav for me. I love Gough but the image of Tav lifting that trophy will be one of the most iconic images in not just our history but Scottish football history.

I always felt that Barry Ferguson lacked the dignity required. Not on the same level as the likes of "Broony" but a bam none the less.
I've also had a bee in my bonnet about him after watching a load of chubby hairies tottling off the bus he ran for Manchester in high heels and mini-dresses probably going to their first game while folk who followed Rangers all over didn't have a ticket.
Didnt know about the latter!

In the entire history of Rangers only John Greig has lifted a European trophy after Wednesday when we win James Tavernier will be equal 1st in my opinion
Agree with this.

I am 48. I love Richard Gough and Barry Ferguson obviously but James Tavernier has his own unique story in our history and his own iconic photographs and achievements.

If he takes us to the trophy on Wednesday then he is level with John Greig - if not then certainly top 3.

Definitely worthy of the title of Rangers captain up there with the greats,I know it’s a generation thing but for me personally Greig set the standard.

Back