Which football manager would you want to have a pint with?

Jock Wallace.......because he is Jock
Terry Venables.....Be amazing listening to his stories
Bob Shankly.......A legend that wanted to manage Rangers
Bill Nicholson.....to hear about White,Gilzean,McKay and Greaves
Brian Clough.......A man who could keep us amused with his tiles ,Derby and Forest
Rinus Michaels ......Brought total football to Europe with Ajax

Along with Valeriy Lobanovskyi, who Bristol_bluenose mentioned earlier in the thread.

Two very interesting men.

Some good shouts here Davie Martindale although he has not been manager a long time would have some stories and seems down to earth guy .

One of my mates discovered that John Gorman was a neighbour a few years ago and had a few nights in his local with Gorman and I believe Glenn Hoddle, who also stays locally.

Said that Gorman was full of good stories.

Past or present.

No Rangers managers allowed (I reckon within 5 comments we'll have a 'Walter Smith')

Used to be Mourinho but he seems to have become a grumpy bastard.

Sean Dyche or Sam Allardyce. Reckon they'd have the jaeger bombs in pre 9pm with a solid playlist on the Juke Box to back it up.
Past or present.

No Rangers managers allowed (I reckon within 5 comments we'll have a 'Walter Smith')

Sean Dyche or Sam Allardyce. Reckon they'd have the jaeger bombs in pre 9pm with a solid playlist on the Juke Box to back it up.
Big Sam Allardyce

Graeme Souness.

Can imagine it being a cracking night with plenty of stories, then just before the last orders ring out; pint jug over the shoulder ala Begbie style. Big Souness like, "right, whit f**ker threw that pint?"

I had a night drinking with Sir Alex when he was Scotland manager.
He was certainly arrogant!!
But also some amazing stories.

I was lucky enough to drive around Sir Walter! A proper gentleman.

Back as a teenager used to serve Arry as a regular before he was big time in a Bournemouth hotel bar when he managed the local team.

Sound as.

For the OP Bill Struth would be the obvious, still alive. Rafa for the ones still on the scene.

Last edited:
I've had a pint with a few,
Most notably Grahame Souness & Walter Smith at the same time, GS,s brother worked beside me & he took me down to Blackburn when he was manager.
SAF when he was StMirren manager.
I met Mick McCarthy in a golf club in Portugal & he bought the drink, nice guy
For me the best laugh was Jimmy Calderwood, he was in a pub in Majorca & my mate & I were in stitches listening to his stories, a real bluenose, but we had some explaining to do when we didn't get back in time for our wife's

Past or present.

Maradona and Sean Dyche.

Of the old school not mentioned, Malcolm Allison is bound to have had wee story or two - sadly departed of course.

I had a couple of beers with Co Adriaanse a few years ago - about 20 - he was staying a hotel where I was attending a wedding. He was over watching Celtc before a European tie. He was a decent guy and certainly came across as having a healthy dislike for them.

Reactions: VGM
Back