Which goal was better? Bougherra v Whittaker

Bougherra or Whittaker?

• Bougherra

Votes: 116 40.0%
  • Whittaker

Votes: 174 60.0%

• Total voters

dh1963

Today's poll is between 2 great solo goals scored by players whose job in the team was to defend. I'd have loved to include Sandy Jardine scoring in the 1979 Dryborough Cup final but footage doesn't seem to exist.

So the other 2 defender "mazy dribble" goals I think of are these.

Majid Bougherra rounding off the scoring in a 7-1 demolition of Dundee United, the night Kris Boyd scored 5.
Stephen Whittaker killing off Sporting Lisbon in the UEFA Cup quarter final.

2 unbelievable runs. 2 clinical finishes. And no other player involved.

Which one gets your vote as the better goal?

Jardines goal in the Dryburgh Cup was better than both those goals,iirc the mentally challengeds had a corner and he carried box to box then finished with aplomb

There is a brief clip of the goal on Twitter by The Rangers Archieves,dont know how to post it. My memory is rubbish,I thought it was from the other penalty box:(

Nothing to do with how how much of a dick Whittaker is but I think Bougherra's is the better goal.

Jardines goal in the Dryburgh Cup was better than both those goals,iirc the mentally challengeds had a corner and he carried box to box then finished with aplomb

That's why I mentioned it in the OP, for me the best solo goal by a defender.

Boogies goal was harder as the defenders actually tried to defend. But for me it’s got to be Whittaker’s goal. That night i thought we can win the cup

Couldn't and wouldn't vote for that prick shittyker photo of him going into the chamber of secrets with his boy in full telltic kit showed what a complete tanker he is

Whittaker's is obviously the more important goal, but Bougherra's is comfortably the better of the 2 in terms of quality! It never got the praise it deserved in the press, unsurprising I suppose!

Whittaker's for me, I was there that night in Lisbon, first time I has seen us win away in Europe, one of my best experiences watching Rangers

I actually think Bougherra's was the better goal, the gravitas of Whittaker's make it a more memorable goal.

Regardless of the opinion held about Whittaker, his goal is obviously better in every context.

We would be talking about that goal no end if Davie Cooper hadn't trumped it that day.
Three cracking goals but MacDonald's seemed somewhat ordinary compared to Jardine's and Jardine's - hardly worth discussing compared to Coop's.

Back