Votes: 146 64.0%
  • Lovenkrands

Votes: 82 36.0%

• Total voters

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
The poll today is between 2 Danes, scoring vital and memorable goals in huge games against Celtic. Some of these votes have featured goals mainly forgotten and not well known, not today.

Goal 1 is from November 1996 at Parkhead and scored by Brian Laudrup. We were going for 9 in a row, they had gone top the previous weekend, and this was our first visit to Parkhead of the season. Massive pressure on us. In a game that will never be forgotten, in amongst penalty misses, incredible sitters missed, and a fox on the park, the opening goal was a brilliant piece of opportunism, Laudrup taking full advantage of a defensive slip to crash the ball home. We won 1-0.

Goal 2 is from May 2002, the Scottish Cup final at Hampden and scored by Peter Lovenkrands. Celtic were champions, but Rangers under new manager Alex McLeish had beaten them in the League Cup and wanted to lay another marker down that we were truly back. After going a goal down, we equalised within a couple of minutes thanks to this great bit of instinctive finishing, again taking advantage of defensive uncertainty in the Celtic team. We won 3-2 thanks to an immortal second goal by Lovenkrands.

2 Great Danes. 2 joyous occasions. 2 great finishes. But which goal was better?

My thanks as always to @Rangers Archive Footage for creating this video specially for this thread.

PS my original intent was to have Kai Johansen's 1966 goal in this vote, but the footage that exists just doesn't do it justice.

Can't possibly vote for anything else but the Lovenkrands goal.

It was my first old firm final as a 9 year old and that game will live with me forever.

I'd actually been at the piggery for the first time, a couple of weeks before and he scored that day too, although it was the first minute and not the last.

Sorry Brian.

I think Lovenkrands had a bit more to do to open up the chance before execution whilst it had already opened up for Laudrup before his excellent execution.

Voted Laudrup one of my top 5 Rangers goals ever .

If you follow the celebration closely , he actually gives the camera a nice dummy as well , when the camera catches him , his hair settles on his face like a Greek/Roman god statue !

Ps I’m not gay as far as I know ?!?!

Voted Laudrup one of my top 5 Rangers goals ever .

If you follow the celebration closely , he actually gives the camera a nice dummy as well , when the camera catches him , his hair settles on his face like a Greek/Roman god statue !

Ps I’m not gay as far as I know ?!?!
If you are not gay for Laudrup then you are gay.

My first cup final, 12 years old, was launched about 10 rows forward. Probably my favourite Rangers goal ever was scored that day, his first was a cracker too.

Last edited:
Don’t need to watch the goals, supporters of my vintage should vote for Laudrup in everything, just the best we’ve ever seen.

Both good goals bit Lovenkrands for me. More pressure by the defender, tighter angle and less time to get strike away.

Can't possibly vote for anything else but the Lovenkrands goal.

It was my first old firm final as a 9 year old and that game will live with me forever.

I'd actually been at the piggery for the first time, a couple of weeks before and he scored that day too, although it was the first minute and not the last.

Sorry Brian.

Wait, you're in your 20s?

I thought you were 60 odd reading your posts!

Brian for me today in the vote. Harder goal to execute.

Lovenkrands' strike reminds me a bit of Hagi v Braga.

Today I was convinced I would be voting for Laudrup and, having watched them, I do think his was the better goal.

However the smile that watching the Lovenkrands goal brought to my face means that it's got to be Peter.

So today I'm voting not on quality, technical merit or significance of the goal but simply on which one made me smile more when watching them back - and the strange thing is I have absolutely no idea why.

Lovenkrands in this H2H.

Down 0-1, their fans are still celebrating and suddenly he gets us a goal out of nothing. You can actually hear the deflation from the mentally challengeds before the roar from the Rangers end kicks in. To be honest, if we hadn't scored so quickly we would have struggled to get back into the game that day if they got to settle into the lead - so a very important goal to hit straight back.

Given what that goal and points meant, it's BL for me.

However, Pete's goal should never be dismissed and is up there with Gazza's first in the 8-in-a-row moment.

I always will maintain that Gazza's first goal that day was as good as his second.

Apart from the genius, it settled us all back down from the Bible Thumper's unlikely opener.

Brian for me. He really was a cut above. The execution of the shot is near perfect and the pace of it beat Kerr all ends up. Peter’s shot is a typical piece of striking instinct. Smashing quick fire strike but I reckon that Douglas’ positioning is pretty suspect.

I voted Laudrup. I was at both games but Laudrup's winner at Mordor was my first away at Celtic Park on my own with my school mates (I'd been before with my Dad).

I got home about 1 in the morning and couldn't sleep I was that drunk happy and still had the smile on my face as I went to school the next day!

Difficult to choose but going for Laudrup. Because it was at their dump and at a time when they had ideas above their station, he put them right back in their place.

Back