Which goal was better? DJ or Novo?

Better goal?

• Derek

Votes: 84 44.7%
  • Nacho

Votes: 104 55.3%

• Total voters

dh1963

Today's vote is between 2 cracking goals scored against Celtic at Parkhead, but they are goals probably not talked about very often as we lost both games 2-1.

Goal 1 is from April 1982 and scored by Derek Johnstone. Rangers were already long out of the title chase, while the opposition were looking likely league champions. The game itself was horribly familiar to those of us who attended these games at that time. We conceded a soft goal early on, then went 2 down in the second half despite being the better team for long spells. When we did score, it was to be a late consolation. But a cracking goal by a player now carrying too much weight and not the player he was. Overweight or not, brilliant chest control and a volleyed finish.

Goal 2 is from April 2008 and scored by Nacho Novo. Rangers were in the middle of a massive run of big games at home and abroad, this game was rearranged from New Year. Remembered more for the sickening injury time winner we conceded which turned out to be a crucial blow in the title race, but our equaliser that night was a fantastic angled strike worthy of winning any game rather than almost forgotten. The wee guy enjoyed a goal against them.

2 scorers of big goals. 2 depressing games at the piggery. 2 great finishes in front of the Rangers end.
But which goal was better?

More great @Rangers Archive Footage work.

Trying not to be biased, but Novo for me one of his best goals for us behind Sevilla and Dundee United. Real sickener that game though, was that the offside last minute goal game ?.

Today's vote is between 2 cracking goals scored against Celtic at Parkhead, but they are goals probably not talked about very often as we lost both games 2-1.

Goal 1 is from April 1982 and scored by Derek Johnstone. Rangers were already long out of the title chase, while the opposition were looking likely league champions. The game itself was horribly familiar to those of us who attended these games at that time. We conceded a soft goal early on, then went 2 down in the second half despite being the better team for long spells. When we did score, it was to be a late consolation. But a cracking goal by a player now carrying too much weight and not the player he was. Overweight or not, brilliant chest control and a volleyed finish.

Goal 2 is from April 2008 and scored by Nacho Novo. Rangers were in the middle of a massive run of big games at home and abroad, this game was rearranged from New Year. Remembered more for the sickening injury time winner we conceded which turned out to be a crucial blow in the title race, but our equaliser that night was a fantastic angled strike worthy of winning any game rather than almost forgotten. The wee guy enjoyed a goal against them.

2 scorers of big goals. 2 depressing games at the piggery. 2 great finishes in front of the Rangers end.
But which goal was better?

More great @Rangers Archive Footage work.

This has become the highlight of my day outside cracking open a beer, which I don’t do everyday!

Trying not to be biased, but Novo for me one of his best goals for us behind Sevilla and Dundee United. Real sickener that game though, was that the offside last minute goal game ?.

Last minute yes, offside ? Are you not thinking of the 3-2 game that season ?
Loved Nachos goal. Pub absolutely exploded. Sickener at the death...

Wasn't offside but I'm sure the big diddy that scored the winner made a tackle earlier on in the game that should've been red, maybe that's what your thinking of, sickening either way.

Last minute yes, offside ? Are you not thinking of the 3-2 game that season ?
Loved Nachos goal. Pub absolutely exploded. Sickener at the death...
Probably mate my bad, I was so young both games are pretty mashed together for me . Absolute sickener for everyone, wee man must have been distraught scoring a worldie then that happening.

Wasn't offside but I'm sure the big diddy that scored the winner made a tackle earlier on in the game that should've been red, maybe that's what your thinking of, sickening either way.
Probably mate, I was so young at the time and for obvious reasons haven’t watched the goals they scored back. For some reason I always had in my head it was offside :/

Another difficult one dh. DJ has to get the ball down quickly and it's fairly high - great skill, great goal, but nacho has the defence thinking he has only one option in the box/it's all covered, so he stuffs it down their throat! Novo's for me.

DJ for me.
Think was the last game vs scum fc I attended. Moved away from Glasgow soon afterwards.
Got my 1st ST last year but had to miss the August game as was away on holiday then the march game was cancelled. Bloody typical!

Nacho's for me. DJ controls the ball beautifully, but it took a deflection.

Just thinking the wee man certainly lived the dream. 7 winners medals, 6 goals against the poets, Scored a Cup Final winner, and a goal that took us to a European final. Most of us would sell our kids to achieve that.

Reactions: SSR
At risk of making folk miserable. Not seen it back since. The week later in the 3-2 game the ball was zipped across the box at 2-2 about hour gone and Nacho came onto it somewhere similar struck it the exact same outside of foot with power and it flashed by the post by not much.

That one goes in we probably won the league.

Voted Nacho, video stops just before the mobile phone whizzes past them.

Despite DJ’s beautiful control and volley being arguably the harder skill to execute, Nacho’s run and shot showed tremendous composure and accuracy.

Regardless of the deflection for DJ’s, I went for Nacho. Another difficult choice though.

Despite DJ’s beautiful control and volley being arguably the harder skill to execute, Nacho’s run and shot showed tremendous composure and accuracy.

Regardless of the deflection for DJ’s, I went for Nacho. Another difficult choice though.

Amazing what you never realise at a match.
I was right behind that DJ shot and it never crossed my mind it took a nick off the defender. But now I see it almost 40 years later! Was a scorer all the way anyway though.

Amazing what you never realise at a match.
I was right behind that DJ shot and it never crossed my mind it took a nick off the defender. But now I see it almost 40 years later! Was a scorer all the way anyway though.
Aye, I reckon it was goal bound regardless of the nick, mate. DJ was a phenomenal goalscorer. I wonder how many more he’d have notched if he didn’t play as many games in defence and midfield. I’m too young to remember him playing in his prime in the early to mid 70s. I can fully appreciate why he is so revered by many bluenoses though.

He is in every way, shape and form, a true Rangers legend.

This has become the highlight of my day outside cracking open a beer, which I don’t do everyday!

Enjoy it while you can, I go back to work on June 1st and that means no Follow Follow during the day for me any more. So 31st May will be the last daily poll.

Unless I end up self isolating and drag it out longer!

Aye, I reckon it was goal bound regardless of the nick, mate. DJ was a phenomenal goalscorer. I wonder how many more he’d have notched if he didn’t play as many games in defence and midfield. I’m too young to remember him playing in his prime in the early to mid 70s. I can fully appreciate why he is so revered by many bluenoses though.

He is in every way, shape and form, a true Rangers legend.

My boyhood hero.
Think I've bored this messageboard to tears over the years with my posts on how good he was :)

Enjoy it while you can, I go back to work on June 1st and that means no Follow Follow during the day for me any more. So 31st May will be the last daily poll.

Unless I end up self isolating and drag it out longer!
I’ll look forward to two belters on the 31st for the grand finale then! Cheers!

My boyhood hero.
Think I've bored this messageboard to tears over the years with my posts on how good he was :)
Don’t sweat it mate. We should celebrate our legendary players at every opportunity.

DJ’s goalscoring exploits should be drummed in to every bluenose from birth!

Back